BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grassroots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO had one Labor Day weekend. Given the amount of attention it and the F800GS were receiving, its probably long gone, but you might give them a call.

http://02c0e6f.netsolstores.com/
  2. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Sandia BMW (Albuquerque) has a lowered F650GS (single) 06. Not exactly what you asked for, but it only has a few hundred miles on it and looks showroom new. It had a lowered 650 twin but I didn't see it last time I was in.
  3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    TouringSport BMW in Greenville, SC. (GSP is not very far away either.)

This one was ordered by us but we decided to only get one at this point in time.

It's a blue one with everything except the alarm.

Good luck.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Slide:

Try Laura @ Carolina Euro BMW Greensboro NC (919) 215-1557 if you have not located one. They had two lowered F650GS twins on the floor last time I was there that were not spoken for ...

Jim
  5. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, a appreciate the help. I'd like to find one just a little closer to home... somewhere in the midwest before the first snow flies... which by the looks of things will be in the next few weeks

Cowboy2:ricky
  6. sfwo79

sfwo79 euroromper

Oddometer:
    After a 6-month wait, I finally picked up my US-Spec F800GS from the BMW Military Sales dealer in Darmstadt, Germany. :clap Those of you in the states should be comforted by the fact that BMW chose to ship yours over before delivering any to dealers here in Germany. The logic of this somehow escapes me, and I'm more than a little peeved that I missed out on several weeks of beautiful riding weather here in Germany, but what can you do?

Darmstadt is about 120 miles from where I live in Stuttgart by Autobahn, but I took the backroads most of the way back down through the Odenwald and along the Neckar River before I had to jump on the highway for the final stretch. As a result, I got to try out the bike in nearly every type of road except for dirt, which I plan to get out on after a proper break-in.

From the beginning I was very impressed with the riding position and handling. The controls took a bit of getting used to, and I'm still not particularly happy with the turn-signal canceling switch, but I guess I'll get used to it. My last bike was an F650GS, so right away I was impressed with the increased power and the low throaty roar of the twin. (vs. the "angry lawnmower" sound of the 650).

In city traffic and on the Autobahn, the upright and commanding riding position gives a lot of confidence and situational awareness. The bike is very nimble, so quick lane changes and other moves are really easy and natural.

On the country roads through the tight little hills of the Odenwald, I really enjoyed throwing the bike around through the twisties. My only complaint here was there seems to be a lot of back-pressure when letting off the throttle that can catch you by surprise. I'm hoping that this will work itself out as the bike breaks in but I'd be interested in hearing the observations of others. If the bike is so choked down that it's going to need some mods I'm not going to be very happy.

Highway traffic in and around Stuttgart is pretty hairy on the best of days, but in the rain and the dark on a new bike it was a real adventure. Again, the riding position and the nimble handling really made a big difference. The heated grips and a good new rainsuit helped as well. By the time I got down the last few miles to the house I was feeling pretty frazzled, but I still had a big fat smile on my face when I pulled it into the garage. :D
  7. slide

Oddometer:
    My local dealer was outright stating that for reasonable engine management and performance, the 800's need an after market can.
  8. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    Congrats and enjoy it!

I once rode in black road conditions from Darmstadt to Heidleberg on B3. I had to get paperwork to V Corps HQ and the TMP would not sign me out a vehicle because the road conditions were so bad.

The ride was surreal. It was like I was inside a snowglobe.

That's some great terrain. I envy your opportunities.
  9. SelkieRider

SelkieRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on getting your new ride! I used to live in Heidelberg and I can imagine all the fun rides you have to look forward to. I wish I could take my F800GS out there, too.

I did notice the "back pressure" that you mentioned. I thought that it was me, but I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say about it.

Viel spaß!

10. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Translation: He needs your $.:deal
  11. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. Seems that most people only believe dealers when they're trying to sell them something they already want to buy.
  12. slide

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago I asked this dealer about crash bars for my G-X. He told me of a Web site where I could buy them for a better price than he could sell them to me for.

You can live your life pretending to be smart by expressing bitter cynicism, but I choose not to.
  13. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    +1 not saying this in a negitive...

but for readers other readers out there. my F800gs needs nothing...power is good , sound (can) is perfect ,suspension is great. the seat for me neededs tuning. lots of advriders say the bike needs this or that! that is all preference to your specs. 95% of riders need nothing there is nothing wrong with this bike stock.
  14. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's damn good out of the box. That lets me obsess on buying luggage, optimizing my toolkit, diddling with this and that, and generally focusing on minutiae. This bike was worth the wait.

And I didn't mean to dis dealers above, but here in the 21st centruy I'd hoped we'd gotten beyond comments like, "They never run right till you change the exhaust." Sell pipes if you must, but don't use myths to support your pitch. OK, off my soapbox now.
  15. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    So did he explain why? What does he consider "reasonable management"? Not being a smart ass here Slide, I'm really curious on how he came to that conclusion if it's not just trying to get a sale.

From every report I've read so far, the power gains are marginal to the point of not being noticed. The advantages seem to be the lighter weight, and of course, the sound. I agree with others here that mine seems spot on as far as the FI mapping and power seems what I expected.

So what exactly did your dealer say that a can would gain for your bike?
  16. slide

Oddometer:
    I got an 800 as a loaner. It had on it an Akropovic can which I thought was too loud. So I asked why have a non stock bike as a demo / loaner & the dealer told me that to show off the 800 properly, he felt it needed the after market can.

This was a LOANER. I was NOT in the market for anything but service on my G-X which had developed a glitch in the panel. I was NOT buying an 800. I was NOT in the market now or ever for a louder can.

These guys living in a world where every suggestion by a 'stealer' is motivated by evil confuse me. Do they really think that the entire world is made up 100% of parasites or raptors whose only motive is to chunk a piece off of them? We own four bikes of 3 marques / 3 dealers. I have never felt cheated or fast moved by any of them.

I feel sorry for those folks who go around thinking they can only deal with vendors as victims or victors.
  17. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've got nothing against dealers myself, but I will question any statement I don't understand (Hey, I might even learn something! :D) If your above quote is all the dealer told you that's pretty vague in terms of anything real, but points more towards an emotional response. I would've had to ask for more details.

I've heard the Akro, an for now I prefer quiet, but I must admit the gearhead side of me made my heart beat a bit faster listening to the music the motor/can produced. This can for certain affect the way one perceives a motorcycle experience and if the dealer feels this experience is the best way to " show off the 800 properly", then there ya go. I doubt it has anything to do with actual performance.

Ever try to sell a Ducati with a stock pipe? :lol3
  18. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I find that attitude (cynical skepticism) pretty widespread on ADVrider, and it's the least interesting and least useful aspect of the board.

I got an aftermarket can as part of my Metal Mule balanced system. It's a Skorpion I believe. I put it on three days after I got the bike, so I don't have even any 'seat of the pants' dyno numbers for ya... Sounds good though!

[​IMG]

Rob in Seattle
  19. slide

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Terms really help the Ducs in power and sound. I wasn't sore at your query about my dealer experience but like you and robhar below, I find the attittude toward dealers on this board completely baffling. I suppose the guys posting anonymously think they are putting on a sophisticated front by being all cynical.

In the non bike areas of this board you got guys bragging how they'd do this or that heroic deed - again just anonymous loud mouths who can be loud due to being anonymous. I've had extensive experience with dealers and can't think of one which was bad. Many are outstanding like the guy in FL who stayed open just to get me a new front tire when mine developed an aneurysm. I was just passing through & he knew this would probably be the ONLY sale he ever made me and that was a warranty anyway.
  20. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yah Dave, me neither. That was more a general comment on my experience on ADVrider. Just to be clear.

Here in Seattle we're blessed with several superb dealerships: South Sound BMW, Ducati Seattle, and Moto International. I've had nothing but fantastic experiences with all of them. Brendan from South Sound (the general manager!) once stopped at my house on his way home to install a Hall sensor on my R80G/S after I realized I was in over my (very limited) head doing it myself. That's service.

Rob in Seattle