BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said, Dadodirt.

From my (limited) experience so far on the bike, I can see there is room for improvement--which kinda does leave the door open for an Adventure version such as the one Jimmy speculates about in the article--but this one will do fine for me for the next four or five years.

Yah...adjustable forks, more fuel capacity, lower first gear and higher sixth. That all sounds good....

Rob in Seattle
  2. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    The springs were stock. The suspension was stock.

The spec list was pulled off of Motorcycilists web site because it had already been formatted (sister mag)

They looked like Marazocchi forks to me. Just like HP2 ones just without any extrenal adjustment or the coating on the sliders. But who knows who produces what now? Or who own what companies now?

JIMMY
  3. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Greetings all. Just got my F800GS a few weeks ago, knocked out 600 miles no problem and then another 1600 visiting my folks and a good friend in Detroit.

So far love this machine. Been off 2 wheels for about 3 years so all my callouses have faded and my ass is a tender as a new born. That said, my travels were far more enjoyable after picking up a throttle rocker, and getting the directions to remove the visor from the Shoei DS-Hornet. Have a Laminar Lip in the mail and I am looking toward and Airhawk pad. Going to hold off until I see how my rear "evolves" now that I am back in the saddle.

So glad to have this forum as a resource. The opinions and information are a real boon. Will write up some ride reports when time permits.

Looking forward to many many more miles.
  4. Coonass

Coonass Banned By BMWRider

Oddometer:
    sorry if this has been asked already. can the new cast wheels be fitted to a 650gs single?
  5. Saki_N_Ice

Saki_N_Ice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am a chick looking at getting the 650/800 and I have a 28-29" inseam however I would prefer NOT to get the lowered version of the 650 that the dealer is pushing. My first (current) bike I bought stock (450lbs) and I couldn't flatfoot so I lowered it 1-1.5" so that I could at least have the balls of both feet touching the ground. My current bike however is top heavy and I understand that the 650/800 is bottom heavy. I am also still unable to pick up my ride (yes, I know the methodology but it doesn't currently work because my bike lays almost flat even with sliders) so I am a little hesitant to get another ride that I can't flat foot/flat ball nor pickup.

Does the difference in the center of gravity make it easier to balance on one leg at a stop?

Does difference in the center of gravity make it easier to lift in the event I drop it?

Does it lay flat if dropped?

Thanks!
  6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    Read this thread. It started out about the F800 but I think offers some great insight to your question.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528914

-
  7. Saki_N_Ice

Saki_N_Ice Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    This thread may interest you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528914

I find the bike very balanced and have no problem with one leg. If you don't have any crash bars then I would venture to say that yes the bike will lay flat if dropped. I have the Givi crash bars that keep the bike from laying flat. I wouldn't say that makes it easy to pick up.
  9. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mrs levity (5'6", 30" inseam) just got the lowered model (short travel rear shock) with the low seat, and she loves it.
    The low center of gravity makes it handle like a sport bike. She even raised the forks 10mm to approximate standard rake/trail.
    Ground clearance is not a issue for the smooth dirt and gravel she takes it on.
    She can flat foot it when stopped, which is also confidence inspiring.

some illustrative pics from last week's holiday rides on Cali's central coast:

Jalama Beach

[​IMG]

stretching legs on Happy Valley Rd

[​IMG]

Hwy 1 on a gray but peaceful (zero traffic!) day

[​IMG]
  10. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Hi I think this might be the right spot to ask this question.

I have a set of E36 GIVI Monokey side cases. I am lookin for mounting hardware for a 2009 or 2010 F650gs Twin

I'm not seeing anything that specifically says "this will definitely work" on Twisted throttle.

Can any of you tell me if the mounting brackets below will work specifically with the GIVI E36 side cases?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4392/691/

Thank you...:bow
  11. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    The SW Motech rack shown works with the Givis. Just make sure you order the right mount kit since they also work with Hepco and Trax, as well as Caribou. If it helps you sleep at night drop them an e-mail or give them a a call.

12. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
  13. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
  14. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the PL690 on my F658. I think it is not as solid as it should be. It shakes easily.When you are taking a curve and lean the bike, if the surface is a little rough, it shakes a lot. If vibration of the bike matches the resonance frequency of the system, depending on the sizes of the cases, weight etc., you don't feel the rear and anymore. Besides you have to have the top case mount as well to install the side bars. They did not have to design it that way but I guess it is a way of guaranteeing higher sale rates :(. I am looking into modifying the connection to reduce the shaking. If I cannot, I will be getting rid of them.
  15. Keystone

Keystone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Givi bags are great, I've been very impressed with them over the many years and bikes I've used them on.

The Givi mounts are garbage. Flat out. I was riding a pretty mile off-road trail on my F650GS years ago with my E52 on the rack. There was nothing inside but a sleeping bag and air pad (not a lot of weight). At one point things felt a little funny and when I stopped I saw that the E52 had migrated from the TOP of the bike to the REAR, rotating down so the bottom was facing my tail light.

This was the cause:
    [​IMG]

As I said, I really like the cases and use them to this day, but I WILL NOT buy Givi mounting brackets. SW-Motech brackets are MUCH BETTER and have secured my cases over seriously rough terrain where I was really worried about whether they'd hold up. They've held far beyond the weight limits in the side cases (not over rough terrain) and come through like a champ.

The only problem I've had has been that the three quarter-turn bolts that hold the givi adapter plate on lose their tension after a while. I just removed them and worked up a more permanent attachment with M4 bolts, lock washers, and a couple of hose clamps for good measure. Ghetto? Maybe, but functional and invisible when I have the top case on.

Now I have a top plate coming from Motooverland which should open up my mounting options considerably (I generally don't use the top case when riding solo on a trip, I use a dry-bag strapped on top and the side cases if necessary).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536723
  16. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently noticed the outside air temperature display on my 2014 F800GS always increments .9 degrees at a time. So if it shows 70 degrees it will bump up to 70.9, then 71.8, 72.7, etc. I disconnected the battery to see if this would make a difference but after plugging back in it behaves in the same manner. Anyone know if this is normal?

NC
  17. Eurastus

Eurastus Hej på dej!!

Oddometer:
    Yup. Normal. The temp sensor is calibrated to read out in .5 degree Celcius increments. A half degree Celsius is equal to .9 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is a German bike, after all.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  18. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never seen a F temp display, but mine increments 0.5 degrees Celsius at a time, which makes 0.9 F anyway.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  19. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool to hear I don't have an issue. This falls under the category of always been that way but didn't notice in the first year of ownership.

NC