BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. photojojo

photojojo This space for rent!

Oddometer:
    Put a chain on it, and take off the ABS.
  2. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    i thought the weight of the "S" is about same as F650 ?????
  3. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Ditto, but put me down for an even lighter HP version. :clap
  4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is. The 650 is way too heavy for what it is.

Arch, I'm with ya. :thumb
  5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll take mine with chain and sprockets please. Otherwise, Arch is on it.

300+ mile range would be nice too.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing that the GS line is BMW's best selling models, it wouldn't be a stretch to build an F800GS, and it will be full circle of sorts with the R80G/S. :thumb
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    You are correct; but, history has shown us that BMW builds the heavest of all dual sports in every class. There is no reason to think that the same will not be true of an 800GS. The reason for this is that they really build street bikes in off road trim and sell bunches of them. My bet is an 800GS will fit their well established pattern and be nothing like the limited production HP.
  8. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Ridden a 1200GS lately? Very different feel from the 1150. Ended up being, what?, about 40 to 50 pounds lighter on a real scale? I don't recall the exact amount. Less than the 60 they'd claimed, but it feels like more underway, at least to me. I have no reason to doubt that a macine built around this relatively small parrallel twin will take that weight down a good number of steps further, while keeping enough power to loaf down the highway.

It's OK with me that the GS is primarily a street bike. I have dirt bikes for serious dirt, but I don't wanna ride any of them from here to Montana.

Oh, and btw...
    :fitz ... :rofl
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I agree, the GS has filled a great nitch in the tour'n bike market. My comments were more geared towards the folks that think this will be the dream midsized lightweight twin we all dream about.
  11. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Well, if that did come to pass, then BONUS! :D I dunno, Rad, they are doing some wacky things these days. An HP-ish 800GS would obviously really turn turn some cranks, but I'll settle for a proper GS Adventure-Lite. :nod
  12. Limper

Limper Hot

Oddometer:
    :nod :rabia :nod :bow :nod :tb :nod
  13. Raven

Raven Lone Gunman

Oddometer:
    Would that be like an HP2 with a bigger tank and bag mounts? That's exactly what I want. :D
  14. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Yup :nod
  15. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    No doubt BMW are already working on a GS version, but its at least two years away while Beta testing goes on in the EU markets with the two current versions coming along soon.

The motor reminds me on my old TDM 850. Same configuration and a good adventure bike motor as seen in the Tennere, which won more Dakar races than anyone, ever. (7 or 8 I think)

Your parameters for a touring/adventure version are good ones but as pointed out, some kind of HP or more spartan off road version would be cool. I too was really delighted to see belt drive. To me, its the drive system of the future.

But can BMW really think light? R12GS is a good sign, and your right, it does ride even lighter than it is. But they really have long way to go to understand
    true lightweight, the Japanese are eons ahead here. (when they want to be)

BMW have the opportunity to jump into this growing niche. The middleweight
    area is ripe for something to happen. For years the Euros have moaned at Honda for not updating the Africa Twin, and here you see endless threads about making the Wee Strom a "real" adventure dirt bike, yet Suzuki look at you like your from Mars when you mention they should build a Dakar version
    of the Wee Strom. Yamaha are only doing a single in Europe (XT660) and zero here. When I asked someone there why, they replied....."the numbers just aren't there....." Hmmph! :eek1 I think they are much more interested in the Star line than the fastest growing segment of bike sales: Adventure bikes.

So the court is open for BMW to score. To me a lot really depends on the motor. Will it be able to out run a DL650? (it better), will it cost almost as much as a R12GS and double Wee Strom? You know that TDM motor was reliable but SUPER heavy. And it really lacked character. I always hated the sound and feel of the thing even though it was a good bike in many ways.
    I wonder what firing order BMW will use? Anyone know?

Question:
    I know I've read it somewhere but can't remember......Who is building the motor......is it Rotax for now or are BMW doing it all in house?

:ear
  16. RiverRat280

RiverRat280 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love a F800GS as my biggest gripe is the weight on my GS but would the 800 be any lighter? You'd think so but the F800ST weighs 463lbs(sans fuel) and the R1200ST weighs 452lbs! The R1200GS weighs 439lbs so the 800 would probally just be a little smaller and a bit cheaper.
  17. Limper

Limper Hot

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure any volume motorcycle manufacturer can honestly ignore how popular the GS bikes have been in recent years. Even BMW must see the reward in updating/uprating the F650GS. We've already seen Buell release the Uly. Rumors are swirling about Yamaha jumping on board with an updated TDM/dualpurpose bike. Recent reports have hinted at a Moto Guzzi entry loosely based on the Breva, Aprilia sharpening the Capo, and surely Kawasaki (just releasing the 650 twin sportbike) and Honda should be planning some kind of run at a mid-price entry. Hell, even a 2/3 Triumph Tiger is rumored. I think when we see the '07 bikes break cover later this year, we will see at least two new bikes that compete in the range of all road & off road.
  18. Redne Dab

Redne Dab Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    :clap
    That would be really cool.

Brad
  19. kbasa

kbasa Super Bon Bon Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Honda seems to be doing a wonderful job of doing just that.
  20. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    After seeing for the first time in person the new 1200 GS Adventure, I gotta say that I doubt BMW even remembers what I consider to be the golden rule of motorcycle design: "More power, less weight." Seems their motto goes more like "Make it as fucking ugly as possible and see who'll give us twenty grand for it." Thought I'd like that new Adventure a LOT more than I did when I saw it. Gave me a new respect for Ewan and Charlie, having to pick up those 1150's all the damn time.

That said, I'd love to see an F800GS. It'd have to be at least as light as my 650, and personally I want one that is nice to look at as well. Oh yeah, and I don't wanna have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one. Also, give us the option of simplicity. That is, I prefer no ABS, the least amount of things to break the better. Luggage that doesn't fall apart when you look at it would also be a nice bonus.