Boise: Anybody made it up Trail 4 on a dual sport?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Jun 7, 2021.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    When I first moved to Meridian I tried Trail 4 on my XR650L, got to a steep rocky section and dumped it. I blamed it on not having ridden much for the past year, tires that weren't good enough, street gearing, and maybe one or two other things.

So now I have new dirt tires (MT21/D606), lower gearing, and I've been riding a lot of dirt roads. I made it past the place that gave me problems last time after examining it to determine what line I needed. But later on there is a steeper rougher section with at least ten different spots where a mistake would get me stuck. I figured only maybe three spots like that in the earlier section.

So I decided the correct course of action would be to turn around and I rode back down and out. I talked to a guy who had just come out the top on a YZ450 when I got up to that point on the dirt road and he said the rest of it after that section was relatively easy.

This is where I stopped my XR650L to examine the tough section:
    [​IMG]

So I'm curious if any of you have made it up Trail 4 all the way on a dual sport. I'm pretty sure I could handle it in a proper dirt bike.
  2. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris birch could probably wheelie a 1290 all the way up there so whether it's doable on a dualsport is just up to rider skill...
    A ktm exc is a "dualsport" but compared to an xrl it's a race class dirtbike
    BobcatSig likes this.
  3. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well don't make any mistakes then!
  4. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Ya know everyone online rides like Cody Web so you will get lots of people telling you they did it on their Goldwing......well maybe Africa Twin. ;) If you really want to do it on your bike......Figure out what exact parts give you trouble. Find smaller examples to practice on and build your skills and confidence on. Then go back and do it. ;)
  5. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Other then the one lower section of the same trail, I can't think of anything comparable to practice on.

Practice would be making several runs at the actual tough section. You want to come along and help me "practice" there? That would involve helping me get the bike turned around (maybe picked back up) to make another run at it.
    redlabelmoto likes this.
  6. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Maybe next week if it does not get too hot. I am a fair weather rider. Small chance Friday if no one wants to Lava Mountain trail.....
  7. ingerlou

ingerlou n00b

Oddometer:
    That one rocky section on Trail 4 is pretty tough. Your best bet is to try in the spring when the dirt's still moist and the ruts haven't developed. Otherwise, stick with Trail 6.