Boise area weekday rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I searched and couldn't find the other Boise area riding thread, so here's a new one - specifically for one day (or less) rides starting in the Boise area.

I'm retired, settled in Meridian, and have finally reached the point where I can get out riding two or three times a week. I prefer weekdays, since there is less traffic, but Saturdays work too. This morning I rode my XR650L about 30 miles on Boise Ridge Rd and a few other dirt roads in the area. Trying to get my dirt riding skills back.

I'm looking for someone interested in a day trip up to Hells Canyon either Tuesday August 21st or Thursday August 23rd 2018. I'll be riding a KTM 1090 Adventure R for that one. I don't expect to see much dirt on that particular trip.

Let me know if you're interested. And feel free to post any other weekday rides here if you want a companion or two.
  2. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott I would be interested in riding during the week with ya sometime here in the near future. Nursing a sore back at the moment. Im kinda new to the dirt, riding a crf250L for a year now. Love it though. My road bike is a fz-09 that I will ride most anywhere except dirt. Im retired also and prefer to ride during the week. I live in Nampa.... John
  3. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Okay. You probably won't want to go all the way to Hell's Canyon with a sore back, so that one is looking like another solo trip.

Let me know when you want to try out some dirt roads on the CRF250L. There is some easy stuff off of Swan Falls Road south of Kuna or the dirt roads above Boise, like Boise Ridge Rd. I'll be glad to teach you a few things about dirt riding on a dual sport - I've taught others in the past. I think the first thing to learn is how to recognize what you can fairly easily handle and what things are beyond your ability.
  4. aleaddict

aleaddict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am new to the Boise area, living in Meridian and working full-time. I own a BMW 1200 GS and very interested in joining a small group of riders. Send me a PM and will circle up offline

Brian/ale
    osufrdave and marbee40 like this.
  5. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  6. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh for sure, I hoping that I should be better in a couple of weeks. Have a safe ride to HC and back.
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Hell's Canyon, before the dam
    [​IMG]
  8. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott and AleAddict,
    I'm up for a ride next week during the week. I headed to Grand Teton this weekend and I'll wanna ride again next week so keep me posted.
    20880022nine1
    Jim
  9. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm out for a couple of weeks. I rode up to Lowman and McCall when putting the break-in miles on the KTM and now I'll be taking the wife up there (in the car) for three days in the middle of next week. The week after that is Yellowstone all week. Looks like about September 10 before I can start doing weekday rides again.

But if any of the rest of you can connect, go for it.
  10. grnrex

grnrex Aircraft Mech

Oddometer:
    Hoping to be riding with you all soon as we are closing on our home in Nampa this next week. Looking forward to meeting new friends and riding areas. Currently riding a DR650 for the trails and have a Road Glide for the slab. Thanks John
    osufrdave likes this.
  11. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scott hopefully your taking the KTM to Yellowstone. Thats beautiful riding up there
  12. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Nope. Taking the wife to Yellowstone and she doesn't like to ride on motorcycles. At least she's fine with me riding on my own.
  13. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i can make a weekday ride sometimes. dr650. know the area pretty well.
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm back in town for a couple of days.

Tomorrow, Saturday, September 1 I'm going to ride the dirt road heading north out of Bogus Basin on the big KTM. I rode part of it on Monday on my XR, to the point where the road forks. I can't really tell where it goes on any of my current maps, other than that there's more of Boise Ridge Rd up there somewhere. I'll be leaving around 8 or 9 am.

Contact me if you want to go with.
  15. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m a no go for riding this weekend, have a good time
  16. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be ready to ride Sunday somewhere. DR650, 150 to 200 miles somewhere. Maybe up through Deadwood.
    marbee40 likes this.
  17. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you know Brian (had a DR650 but now on a 400). He and I and maybe another were thinking of a nice easy dirt ride Sunday. Maybe you can show us an easy loop out of Idaho City? I did Peace Creek and Bitter Creek trail yesterday and Bitter Creek really kicked my arse. Wanting a nice easy ride now. ;)
    I'll put you in the email loop.
  18. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'm in. Where is Peace creek and Bitter Creek?
  19. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    A ways out past Crouch. Take the right fork and keep going. Peace Creek trail goes over the mountain to Deadwood reservoir and is a good ride. Bitter Creek trail is a bit to the north and goes back over the mountains. Once was enough for that trail. ;)
  20. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Found a new way to get to Horseshoe Bend. It was beautiful up on top of the ridge.

[​IMG]
    osufrdave and JeepDawg like this.