Boise area weekday rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. petew

petew I Motorcycles! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any rides happening this week?
    I’m looking to practice new maneuvers I am seeing and learning from this site, slowly and gently and pick up what I am seeing!
    Anyone that wants to ride I would love to ride with them!
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to go out with you and work on things, but you've been a no-show twice now.

If you'll come to my house in south Meridian, I'll go out with you to the place on Swan Falls Rd south of Kuna for a practice session. Send me a personal message here and I'll reply with my address. This way if you don't show up again, I at least have a comfortable waiting area.
    yokesman likes this.
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    If you really want to work on your off road riding skills there is no better way than to ride trials. There is a small group that ride every Sunday, year round. You are welcome to join us.
    jonnyc21 and marbee40 like this.
  4. petew

Oddometer:
    SCExpat,,,,Sunday is my easiest day to get away, I would love to come watch, try and learn. I don’t know anything about trials riding but I’m totally into seeing how U do it.
    Thank U,
    Pete
  5. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Trials riding is much harder than it looks. Also it is one heck of a workout. I never imagined it could be so hard to ride so slow. You can bring your dirt bike out and we can find some stuff for you to practice on but having a trials bike is the best. The techniques for steps and logs carry over very well. Also you will master clutch and throttle control better than a Recluse. Send me a PM and I'll give you the exact spot and time. I will warn you that once you have a taste it is a bit addictive. :super
  6. petew

Oddometer:
    With the clutch on the 300 being so perfect compared to any other clutch that I have felt no need for anything else.
    Never had an automatic clutch before and hope that I will never find myself in that situation for all of my riding career.
  7. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    When you learn good clutch and throttle control you will not need or want any kind of Recluse or auto-clutch.
  8. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's why I don't want a Rekluse clutch. :D

Many people have told me that I would like it, but I don't think so. I buy manual transmission cars too.
    marbee40 likes this.
  9. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ONLY time I’ve thought a Rekluse would have been nice was at about mile 50 of a 70 mile loop on my last dez race. Crab claw was getting ridiculous.
  10. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    The temperature hit 50 today, I had to get out and put some miles on the new KTM 790 Adventure R. Since I didn't plan ahead to do this, you get a report after the fact.

This was at 3800 feet on the first dirt road I tried. I was already on ice before I determined that it was time to turn around. I rode VERY CAREFULLY back off of the ice, into the dirt on the side of the road, until I could get to unfrozen road. I'm loving how this new bike works on dirt roads.
    [​IMG]

On the second road that I tried I made it to 4800 feet before determining that it was time to turn around.
    [​IMG]

I even threw in a little single track - Trail 4 off of 8th Street - just to check out how it handled that stuff. It was probably stupid of me to do that, because I had to go quite a ways before I could turn it around. It easily handled the semi-steep rocky stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you like the KTM 790R thus far? It is on my radar....
  12. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    It was worth trading in my 1090R for this one. This is the bike that I really wanted. It will take until sometime next summer before I've tried everything that I want to on it, like a long road trip, but other than maybe wind protection, I'm not missing any other feature of the bigger bike, and it was way better than the 990 Adv that I had before it (and really loved). I know that I made the right choice. It's just too bad that it wasn't available a year and a half ago when I bought the 1090R as a "temporary" adventure bike. It cost me a few bucks to trade in a relatively new bike. But I don't regret it.
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at that bike. I really love the BMW 850GS, but all that electronic suspension sounds like a hassle somewhere down the road. The 790R sounds like it would be every bit as pleasing to ride, but with some common sense applied (mechanically adjusted shocks, easy access air filter, extended range tank, non painted side panels that can't be bothered with some scratches, etc.). I was just looking at the soft sided luggage from Bumot as well. That's room for 2 more liters of fuel!

[​IMG]
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I didn't know I was going to go do this until about 15 minutes before I left. Needed to put a few miles on the older XR.

I decided to go test out the Avenza app with the free BLM maps that I downloaded. It shows you right where you are on a digital version of the map that I also have on paper.

This is on the way up to Wilson Peak:
    [​IMG]

The last mile or so is all rocks - yuck
    [​IMG]

Here I am at the top of Wilson Peak:
    [​IMG]

Another view showing the weather station at the top:
    [​IMG]
    TheAdmiral and KaptSlo like this.
  15. cprbusa

cprbusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott,

We passed you while you were heading up, we were the two heading down.
    We had just left the towers.
  16. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I thought that I should have stopped to say hi. Now I'm sorry that I didn't.
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to take my KTM to Wilson Peak, the one I rode to on my Honda in the photos above. It's below the snow line and not too far away.

When: Thursday, February 27, 2020.
    Time: 11:00 am unless someone can convince me to brave the cold and go earlier.
    Where: Wilson Peak, a bit east of Walters Ferry
    What else: I plan to include a bit more exploring of the roads in the area, which I didn't do last time because I was low on fuel. Ran out in Kuna on the way back. I know better.

I can move this up to Wednesday if one of you can't do it Thursday, but will commit to going.

In another week or two I'll be looking to go to Jordan Craters, a bit further away. Still too much snow to get there by going through Silver City, though.
  18. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be able to do Thursday or Friday just let me know where to meet you at. Riding a 701 Enduro
  19. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    The best place I can come up with when headed south would be at the corner of Amity and Locust Grove. There is a big dirt area to the west of the church building there, near the stop sign, that would be a good meeting spot. We'll then head south and west from there. I'll be there Thursday at 11:00 am.

Google maps photo of the meeting spot: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.561...149.84566&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192
  20. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there, thanks!