Boise area weekday rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fr8dog3510

fr8dog3510 n00b

Oddometer:
    We recently relocated from the Sacramento area to Kuna. Looking for people to ride with and places to ride. No dirt yet. I'm on a Yamaha FJ-09. I'm off Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Most of the rides on this thread have included dirt. But that's not a firm rule.

Are you interested in twisty roads or is it okay to just see a bit of Idaho on the mostly straight roads that we seem to have a lot of?

If you want to get something started, I'll be happy to meet with you tomorrow afternoon for a couple of hours and we could ride out to Swan Falls Dam. It's about 20 miles south of Kuna. Send me a personal message if interested and indicate where to meet you in Kuna (and when).

My goal has always been to get out riding twice a week. So far I've only manage once a week or less, but maybe 2020 is the year that I fix that.
  3. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I've been called in to work so I'm not going to be able to do today's ride, hopefully I can tag along on another one.
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me know ahead of time. I'll schedule more rides in the future.
  5. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    Scott, are you still interested?? I just got on here to ask if you had room for one more --- .

4r
  6. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Show up at the designated spot (Amity and Locust Grove) at 11:00 and we'll go ride.
  7. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    Sorry, just went to get the 690 out of the shed and I have to adjust the chain before I go anywhere. Don't wanna be "that guy" and be late, I'll catch you next time.

4r
  8. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I had a good ride today. I think I enjoyed it more on the 790R than on the XR650L that I took up there earlier. The rocky sections are still a workout, though.

I'm headed to the top of that mountain in the background, Wilson Peak. The high point is on the left, not the pointy part.
    [​IMG]

Here I am at the top of Wilson Peak. Only the tiniest hint of snow on the way up, it's not high enough to be snow covered.
    [​IMG]

On the way down I discovered a great little section of twisty road, Upper Reynolds Creek Rd. Had to air back up the tires to properly enjoy it.
    [​IMG]
    quackPOT and Tijuana_Taxi like this.
  9. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Anybody up for a longer ride on Thursday, March 5th?

Thursday will be one of the first warm days and we could get started as early as 9:00 am without being frozen the first hour or two.

I'm thinking Jordan Craters in Oregon and the Owyhee River. I'm heading out today to find out if it's possible to go through Silver City to get there rather than take the highway all the way into Oregon. I've been there twice and am familiar with the routes.

Alternatively, I would also like to ride to Hells Canyon, which is all pavement unless we get creative on how to get out of the canyon. There are some great twisty roads once you get past Cambridge. We would go to the end at Hells Canyon Creek Visitor Center.

Or I could consider exploring a bunch more of the dirt roads around Wilson Peak, if you want a shorter ride (50 miles to get there).

Reply if you're interested.
  10. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I think you're several weeks too early to go the Silver City direction. Be sure to give a snow line report though.
  11. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    13 miles in from Highway 78 is where the ice started on the road. I didn't really have much hope for a clear road all the way to the top, based on how much snow was in the hills, but I enjoyed the ride out there anyway. Found a different way back to Murphy on one of the dirt roads in the area.
    trailrider383 likes this.
  12. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Headed into the hills toward Silver City, it looked like it might be snowing up there:
    [​IMG]

Once I got to the ice it was time to turn around.
    [​IMG]
    quackPOT and kenstone like this.
  13. Chaos-in-ID

Chaos-in-ID Who knows Thats the fun of it

Oddometer:
    Guys I think the last back surgery worked enough to start getting back out Im ready for some easy stuff bikes are ready, maybe looking at tires.
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    So Thursday is a yes or a no?
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Hells Canyon on the Idaho/Oregon border.
    [​IMG]

They have some good twisty roads in the area.
    [​IMG]

At the end of the road near the boat launch, looking back at Hells Canyon Dam.
    [​IMG]
    petew, TheAdmiral, quackPOT and 2 others like this.
  16. fr8dog3510

fr8dog3510 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice! May try and head up there Sunday or Monday.
  17. Mariners557

Mariners557 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody riding this Thursday 3/11, might have a chance to bring my 790 to Boise and would be available to ride some dirt Thursday?
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm available. I was going to skip this week, but I'll just forget that idea.

The only area nearby that I know of that doesn't include mud and snow is south of the Snake River. I've been exploring around Wilson Peak and there are still quite a few roads in the area I haven't been on. Out toward Silver City in the foothills is some other interesting stuff.

I was considering a longer ride out to Jordan Craters, but it's about 70 miles of highway to get to where the dirt starts.

But I'm open to suggestions for other places.
  19. Mariners557

Mariners557 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I’m open for anything heading to Parma now from eastern Idaho and will be available all day Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday morning.
  20. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Wednesday is going to be quite a bit warmer. I'm on the very south border of Meridian. Where would be a good meeting place?