1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Boise area weekday rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mariners557

Mariners557 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could meet anywhere along Hwy 45 heading down South if the river.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Coming out of Nampa are you?

How about the corner of Deer Flat and Highway 45 at 10:00 am?
  3. Mariners557

Mariners557 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, see you Wednesday at 10.
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Did Wilson peak again, so I knew what to expect. Tried coming down the road on the north side and thought better of it when we came to a steep rocky section. I'll come back and try that on my XR650L one of these days. Took a known route back out.

Here are the two bikes at the top.
    [​IMG]

This is me at the top.
    [​IMG]

Stopped for lunch in beautiful downtown Melba.
    [​IMG]
    Mariners557 and quackPOT like this.
  5. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    How was the Mexican food? :ear
  6. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    We both had street tacos. They're pretty much the same everywhere.
    petew likes this.
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Totally unplanned ride today. I had heard that there is a road that goes down to the Snake River about half way between the two places where I know you can cross the river. Decided to see if I could find the route.

This road ended at the top of a cliff, where the power lines cross the river.
    [​IMG]

Same parking spot looking back upstream.
    [​IMG]

Found the route that I knew went down to the river, based on Google Maps images from outer space that I had studied. It's going to be "fun" coming back up this trail. I actually manage to dump the thing somewhere around here.
    :muutt
    [​IMG]

Stopped on the way down to let about 15 psi out of the tires for better traction. This is very close to where my new bike got its first battle scar on the way back out.
    [​IMG]

Down by the river, at the end of the road that goes for a mile or two along the water.
    [​IMG]
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I think that is the "Beef Trail."
    petew likes this.
  9. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Another unplanned ride, to the same place I went on the 790R. Wanted to see if it was any easier on an XR650L than on a 790R.

I went down the easier route, but came back out on the more difficult one. Still managed to get stuck once and kill the engine in the super rocky section. Didn't let the bike fall over though, and was able to continue on once I picked a better line. You have to stay about five moves ahead working your way through big uphill rocks and if you get behind you can end up trying to go over a big rock instead of around it.

This is the dirt road that gets you to the easier route down to the river.
    [​IMG]

There are farms down there, on the other side of the river.
    [​IMG]

Apparently roads to the farm houses too.
    [​IMG]

The tumbleweeds are trying to cover up the road out there. Never seen them like this before.
    [​IMG]

I always wondered if anybody ever hits the cows in the open range area. Apparently they do once in a while. A good reason to go slower when there are cows near the road.
    [​IMG]
    jonnyc21, TheAdmiral and KaptSlo like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you see a Tan TW200 stop and say hi to me. I'll be riding out of the Rabbit Creek area with some other fellas. If I see a heard of 790's
    I think I know where you rode. It's a nice ride an making a loop out of it, yes there is one pretty rough section.
    rocky trail3.JPG

My old dog use to ride with me on the back of my motorcycle. You can see her shadow
    traffic jam2.JPG

If you ride a few miles east (on top of the canyon rim) towards Grandview, you can drop in on a short trail and find this old homestead nestled in the tree's
    DSCN1390.JPG

I believe you rode some of this shown in this video from 5 years ago.
    dammitdave and jonnyc21 like this.
  11. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    Any of you Boise riders graduate from Boise High around,,, say,,, 1984? I’ve been planning a trip back this summer to hang with a few buds I still keep in touch now but because of current events may not be able to.

Anyways, if I can make it over late summer it would be good have a pint with a couple old fucks from the 80’s!
  12. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Looking to go to Hemmingway Butte OHV Park for some hill climb practice then ride some of the dirt roads up into the hills. It's across the Snake River, just past Walters Ferry. I expect to head over there either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday of next week. I'll be riding the XR650L for that one, but other than the hill climb part, we could make it a ride for anything that can handle a dirt road.

Post something here if you're interested.
  13. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to try to get to the top of Squaw Butte out past Emmett on Tuesday, May 5. Could put it off a day or two if necessary. Let me know if any of you are interested in that ride.
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    That's where I'm trying to get to - the ridge behind the bike there with all of the antennas.
    [​IMG]

The road up isn't super steep or rough, but it's all gravel and it's hard to get enough traction to get the speed up or to make it around any tight bends once you do get some speed.
    [​IMG]

This is the view at the top, looking east.
    [​IMG]

There are antennas all over the place up there. This is what's at the north end.
    [​IMG]

And here's the south end, looking north.
    [​IMG]

A panoramic view looking east from the fire lookout tower on the south end.
    [​IMG]
    jonnyc21 and kenstone like this.
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Next planned weekday ride:

When: Wednesday, May 13, 2020
    Where: Thorn Creek Butte, going in from Lucky Peak and Arrow Rock Reservoirs. We'll probably come back down into Idaho City.
    What kind of bike: I'll be on the KTM 790R, but last time I went up there it was on my XR650L with a KTM 300 2-stroke rider. I'm considering what's best to ride back down Highway 21.

As always, I'm flexible as to exactly when. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work out the rest of the details.
  16. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Since nobody signed up and I needed to get away, I did this one yesterday. It wouldn't have been as enjoyable in the rain. Didn't quite make it all the way to the top, but close.

Some nice wild flowers on the way up.
    [​IMG]

Just about there. Great view of the mountains to the west.
    [​IMG]

This looks like maybe a motorcycle could make it through on the edge. Better to check it out
    before getting stuck further on where it would be extremely difficult to turn around.
    [​IMG]

Nope. A motorcycle isn't getting through this section.
    [​IMG]

Stopped for lunch with a nice view.
    [​IMG]
    quackPOT and TheAdmiral like this.
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I made a last minute decision to go out and see if I could ride to Silver City. This is on the way up, looking back toward civilization.
    [​IMG]

The highest point on the road headed to Silver City.
    [​IMG]

They need to cross out "welcome" on their sign. They're making sure only locals can come any further. And it makes sense, because there's nowhere to go beyond this point and the town has no services at all.
    [​IMG]

On the way out I spotted a road I've never been on. "I wonder where that goes?"
    According to Garmin I should be able to follow it all the way to Jordan Valley. But not when riding alone with mud and snow still along the road. Garmin says it's "Flint Creek Rd" but the road signs say "Road 483". Are any of you familiar with this road? Anybody want to help me find out where the other end is?
    [​IMG]
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Google Maps seems to think that it goes through. I'll save that route for a future ride.
    The route.
  19. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I should have converted the route to a GPX file, because telling my Garmin to get me to Jordan Valley confused it once I got half way there. So I tried and failed today, but I'll go back there in a week or two. I would have done it tomorrow (Saturday), but I didn't want to get rained on. The trip wasn't a total failure, it was beautiful up there and the roads were all interesting.

This is the turnoff from Silver City Rd to F483 (a.k.a., Flint Creek Rd).
    [​IMG]

For the third year in a row, there are crickets all over the place up in those hills.
    [​IMG]

They're thick enough in some places that you can't help squishing a bunch of them.
    [​IMG]

The scenery up there is beautiful once you get up high.
    [​IMG]

I saw the antenna on the top of this hill, but this side road looked a bit too rough for me riding solo.
    [​IMG]

On the way back out I realized that there was an easier road up to the top, so I went up there. A couple guys in a side by side were just about to head down. I asked if they knew the name of the mountain. War Eagle Mountain, and that's what Google Maps says it's called as well.
    [​IMG]

Headed south, snow covered the road in a few spots. Fortunately it was flat enough to work my way around the edge. These are the two worst spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once up high, my GPS got confused and I wasn't sure of the route through to Jordan Valley, so I turned around and headed back out. I didn't want to go back the same way on Silver City Rd, so I headed toward Oregon. However, instead of taking the usual southern route to Jordan Valley, I took the northern split that comes out on Highway 95 many miles closer to home. Heading back into Idaho on Highway 95 there were six separate Owyhee County Sheriff cars running radar. Welcome to Idaho. I just waved at most of them. Two were busy writing tickets. I've never seen enforcement there before, but when they do it, they are pretty serious about it.
    marbee40 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  20. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Time to step up and get out there and ride in the mountains!

I'm trying to get out once a week or so to find new (to me) dirt roads up in the hills and haven't been able to get very many of you to come out riding. The route from Silver City to Jordan Valley is starting to get to me, since I've now failed twice to ride it from one end to the other. I now have GPS tracks for the full route and I can see that I turned around yesterday when I was still on the right course. I feel obsessed with completing that route. I think I'm finally prepared to do that.

So I'm available anytime next week, Monday to Saturday June 8-13 to go try this route one more time. In my opinion, it's appropriate for any dual sport or adventure bike. The only issue is riding back from Jordan Valley, which is going to be better on a bigger bike. The whole ride is likely to take at least 8 hours and be around 200 miles round trip from Meridian. I can promise beautiful scenery and the chance to get to the top of several mountains in the area.

Here's the route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sil...1b93c9e88!2m2!1d-117.0543037!2d42.9740445!3e0

If you're willing to help me conquer this route, let me know and we'll work out the details of which day, what time, and where to meet.

Who's with me on this?
    marbee40 likes this.