Boise area weekday rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of private ground on that route.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Are the roads closed there?
  3. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    No Trespassing signs, locked gates, etc. I would imagine.
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Are you sure about this or is it your guess?

I've ridden through many areas where people graze cattle. Sometimes there are gates that you can open and go through, as long as you leave it they way you found it. There is private property on Boise Ridge Rd, but that got sorted out and we're allowed to use the roads that have been there forever. I'm pretty sure it's all forest service roads through the area where I want to ride.

So do you have proof on this, or are you making an assumption?
  5. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
  6. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    In light of this additional information...

I'm still going to do the same ride, but the goal will be to find out how far you can get before the road is blocked. Then I'll document that, including a Google Maps path, so that others will know. It's still a beautiful place to ride up there.

So, anybody interested in riding in this area?
    marbee40 likes this.
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago a group of us were riding on or very near your route below Quicksilver Mtn. as you come off the ridge south from War Eagle. We ran into a generous amount of no trespassing signs. While we were pondering if this meant "no entry at all" or "stay on the roads", one of the landowners showed up. The no trespassing meant "no entry" in this case. After talking to the landowner (nice guy) a while he decided to guide us through his property and an adjacent property the other owner gave him keys to the gate. We made it through one gate but on the other end bordering public BLM property the "other property owner" had completely wired and chained locked the gate across the road, complete with fence posts. We weren't getting past this one and the key to the lock was worthless at this point so we ended up going back the way we came.

Further to the west, there is a route down to and through Flint. I've heard but do not have personal first-hand knowledge you can get permission to ride through this area. I do not know a point of contact though. I've seen several ATV/UTV groups and I think even Treasure Valley Trail Machine Association has gotten permission to at least ride to Flint.

You can also snow permitting, stay on the ridge you're on heading west and it will eventually dump you out further west on the Jordan Valley to Silver City road. There are a few other routes you could piece together on some less-traveled jeep trails avoiding posted private property.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would if my XT350 was up and running. Speed-wise a bit of challenge on the TW riding pavement from Jordan Valley though I could break off and ride back via SC.
    marbee40 likes this.
  9. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott,
    Im up for exploring back there Sun 6/14. We can start early if you’re up for it.

Saturday 6/13 Im attending the Seat Concepts camping gear expo from 12-6pm.
  10. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I have something else scheduled that Sunday.

I'm guessing that those roads would be okay for your knee recovery...
    marbee40 likes this.
  11. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the additional information.

This is still better than Northern California. From an airplane you can see all of these great dirt roads on the west side of the Central Valley and every single one of them is on gated private property. I'm thankful for all of the stuff that is still open around here.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  12. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding Tuesday in the Salmon-Challis nf. Black diamond single track. Any hard core trail rider's here?
  13. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    One former one, but not anymore, at least with the bikes that I currently own. Have fun and report back.
  14. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2012 Halstead wildfire left a lot of dead timber. Bucked 134 tree's.
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Since I gave up on Flint Creek Rd out by Silver City - for this week - I decided to ride Boise Ridge Rd from end to end, to make sure the snow is finally gone and all that.

The start of Boise Ridge Rd at the south end.
    [​IMG]

Where Eagleson Rd splits off. I rode part way up that one just to check it out.
    [​IMG]

Since I wasn't going all the way to the other end, I decided against riding through this big mud hole twice and turned around here.
    [​IMG]

Where the road comes out at Bogus Basin Rd. Half way to the other end.
    [​IMG]

Where Pine Creek Rd splits off. I decided to head down it a ways to make sure all the snow was gone. Last time I tried riding up it, we had to turn around at a big snow bank.
    [​IMG]

It would be difficult to get a big truck past this point on Pine Creek. Easy to get by it on a bike.
    [​IMG]

The north end of Boise Ridge Rd. No snow along the entire path and no serious mud if you're on two wheels.
    [​IMG]
    Oldschoolrocker and marbee40 like this.
  16. Special Ed_65

Special Ed_65 A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190623_152244670.jpg
    You can make it as for as the mine (Flint) but it is gated and locked just passed that. You cannot make it to flint road and on to Jordan valley. Its a good ride into Flint they got a Stamp mill, It is on privet property.
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'll be making another attempt at Flint Creek Rd this week. I haven't decided which day yet. If you're interested, let me know today and we'll work out exactly when. Otherwise, I'll report when I get back.
  18. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome area, I should have moved there when I graduated college,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,50 years ago!
  19. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    My goal was to find out how far you could get before coming to a locked gate. Now I know.

The start of Road F483, Flint Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]

At the top of War Eagle Mountain. You can see the whole valley where we all live from up here.
    [​IMG]

Continuing on 483, up at the top. This little bit of easy stuff was a bit of a rest before the steeper and rockier parts.
    [​IMG]

According to Google Maps, this is Hayden Peak. There is a road to the top, I decided to try to ride up there.
    [​IMG]

Road 494 heads up Hayden Peak. This is after I turned around because it's just too steep and rocky. Less steep or less rocky would have been okay, but I would have had to just fly up the road and the bike doesn't want to steer on loose rocks like this. It's between 15 and 20 degrees of angle all the way up - steep enough that if you lose momentum you can't get going again. Maybe I could make it on a bike about 200 pounds lighter.
    [​IMG]

Seven or eight miles in is this warning sign. Clearly marked for sure.
    [​IMG]

It was actually 1.3 miles from the sign that said it was one mile ahead. This is as far as you can go on this road. I figured it was about nine miles from Silver City Road, but Google Maps says 8.4.
    [​IMG]

On the way back out I stopped for lunch at this nice view spot.
    [​IMG]

They're doing some road work on Silver City Road. Apparently they're digging up all of the rocks that stick up above the road surface from an inch to six inches. I caught them on their lunch break coming back down, had to squeeze past them headed up.
    [​IMG]
  20. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    My son-in-law is in town and we're going to head out riding on Friday. I don't have full details yet, but if you're interested in joining us, post something here and we'll work out the details.

He has owned motorcycles in the past but hasn't ridden much lately. I'll try to keep things relatively easy for him. Most likely we'll do part or all of Boise Ridge Rd or maybe go up to Thorn Creek Butte above Lucky Peak reservoir.