Boise area weekend rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Jun 26, 2019.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    We went up Pearl to Horseshoe Bend then kept going on Highway 55 to Banks and over to Lowman. Came back down Highway 21. Had a great time flying through the corners until we got to Idaho City, then it was reasonably slow the rest of the way.

I can't get out today, though.
  2. cabro

cabro n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool I'll check that route out!

I picked up a DRZ recently. If you want to take your thumper up some trails let me know!
  3. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Well, I want to go to Hemmingway Butte OHV Park, for some hill climb practice then ride some of the dirt roads up into the hills. It's across the Snake River, just past Walters Ferry. I expect to head over there either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday of next week.

Yeah, this should go in the weekday rides thread rather than weekend, but whatever...
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I headed up Boise Ridge Rd today without much advanced planning. I started at the south end and wanted to see where the snow still covers the road up there.

Went a long ways before I found any. This is when it was still clear, looking down at the city.
    [​IMG]

Found some snow. But somebody in a 4x4 went through it and made a couple of nice tracks that a bike can get through without touching the snow.
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look like any trucks went through this one, though. I could have made it through on the right edge, but riding alone, I thought better of it and turned around. Don't want to get stuck up there. Didn't make it as far a Eagleson Rd, which goes over the top. Was curious if that was open all the way through or not.
    [​IMG]

Any of you want to go explore this some more next Saturday?
  5. dskor

dskor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be up for that. Let me me know when and where
    I'll be on a xr650l heading out of Meridian.
  6. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Okay. I'm thinking about 1:00 in the afternoon after it has warmed up. I live on the very south edge of Meridian. It depends on which end of Meridian you live for where we want to meet.
  7. dskor

dskor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the North side of Meridian. Just let me know what works for you and I'll meet you.
  8. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Okay, we'll meet at the Sinclair station by Albertson's on the corner of Eagle Rd and Highway 44/55 at 1:00 pm.

The ride will include Pearl Rd to Horseshoe Bend, then Harris Creek Rd to the north end of Boise Ridge Rd (FS 374). From there we'll see if we can get all the way to Bogus Basin. Or we could take Pine Creek down to Highway 21 and Idaho City. It all depends on how much riding we want to get in.

I'll be on my XR650L, but the route should be appropriate for an adventure bike too.

If anybody else wants to come, let us know so that we don't leave without you.
  9. dskor

dskor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride. See ya Saturday.
  10. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I quite enjoyed this ride. The plan was to ride Boise Ridge Rd from north to south.

Here we are on the north end, ready to head up the road.
    [​IMG]

Less than a mile later.
    [​IMG]

Fine, we'll go down the other side and try a road or two coming up from the east. This is
    Pine Creek Rd. Absolutely beautiful day.
    [​IMG]

After squeezing through several snow patches, we decided it was time to turn around. We
    probably could have made it through this one - maybe.
    [​IMG]

To traverse a snow patch, just get in the groove and use your feet to help stay upright.
    [​IMG]
    trailrider383 likes this.
  11. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got to get another thumper to ride with you guys.
  12. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    This trip would have been perfectly fine on a decent adventure bike.
  13. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mornin folks. Any guesses on late June for the IDBDR being open? Trying to shoot for the sweet spot between passable snow and heat. Thx mates.
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I went up to Yellow Pine last year on June 20 and the roads had only recently been opened. I don't think some of the northern routes were open yet. I was thinking about starting a thread about which Idaho roads are still blocked with snow, but figured that I would likely be the only one posting on it. If someone else starts such a thread, I will be happy to participate, though.
    NED RECK likes this.
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all the past years of IDBDR RR's, riders have encountered snow in June somewhere on the route. Last year the route north of Lowman, Clear Creek Summit didn't open/clear of snow until late June. Further west on Scott Mtn. rd. heading to Deadwood from Hwy 17 (Banks/Lowman Rd) was still snowed out on the same day.

There has been less snow in this area than last year so the roads could open a little earlier. Monday I went for a jaunt in the local area which is west of Scott Mtn. rd. and on the north side of the mountains, I still ran into bike stopping snowdrifts and had to turn around.
    NED RECK likes this.
  16. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx Scott. I'd start one but have nothing to contribute other than questions. Till then I'll keep staring at this Tubliss system thats been hanging on the wall for 2 yrs. Hmmmmmmm
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    By request, the next ride is to the Snake River south of Boise/Meridian between Swan Falls and Grand View. It's to this place on the map.

When: Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 1:00 pm
    Where to meet: Meet at the corner of Locust Grove and Amity, at the dirt area on Locust Grove by the church. (Address for GPS: 1695 E Amity Rd, Meridian, ID 83642)
    Where we're going: Snake River east of Swan Falls.
    Type of bike: This is more appropriate for a dual sport or more dirt worthy motorcycle. Definitely something with some ground clearance.

I'll be on my KTM 790R, but I wouldn't try it on something like a WeeStrom. We'll be heading down the rougher road that goes down the ravine, but coming back up the road further to the east that is a bit easier. It's still cold in the morning, which is why this is starting in the early afternoon.

Let me know if you'll be coming.
    marbee40 likes this.
  18. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy ride weekend.

Im off Sat-Monday for the holiday weekend. Im recovering from ACL/Meniscus surgery so I’m limited to “level ground” riding. . I’m not gimpy and my new brace is amazing but I don’t wanna push my luck, so asphalt or fire roads only.

I need to take the 1090 out for a long rip. Anyone headed out on any of these days? Im game for near or far.

Jim
  19. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    You wanna go with me to the top of Squaw Butte tomorrow?

The road is relatively smooth, at least, even though it does go up the hill. It's north of Emmett. I was planning to find out where the road goes that heads clockwise around the mountain. Last time I was there I went counterclockwise until I got to a main road.

I'm also looking for someone to go to Jordan Craters with me during the week. Will probably go through Silver City to get there. Do either of those sound good?
    marbee40 likes this.
  20. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m game. Time/place for meetup?

Jordan Craters: I’m back to working bankers hours til my knee heals, so weekday rides are out for awhile.