1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Boise area weekend rides

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by scottrnelson, Jun 26, 2019.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like the closest spot for both of us would be on the side of the road on Highway 16 and Chinden Blvd, right after turning north on Highway 16. 1:00 pm.
    marbee40 likes this.
  2. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks! I’ll be there.
  3. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Had an enjoyable "easy" ride to the top of Squaw Butte, then on northward for a ways.

Stopped when we first got to the dirt out of Emmett to drop tire pressure.
    [​IMG]

Top of Squaw Butte, south end.
    [​IMG]

Top of Squaw Butte, north end.
    [​IMG]

We rode north through the valley until time ran out.
    [​IMG]

We split at the above point and I continued on toward Ola, ID. That is one seriously SMALL town. This is the road between the two valleys.
    [​IMG]
  4. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Thanks for guiding the gimp, Scott. It was nice to get out and see some gravel today. Once I’m all healed up, we can hit s few of those goat trails.
  5. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Scott, I couldn’t wait to get out there again. 278 mile day. Marsing to Emmett, north on Van Duesen to Indian Valley, east to Donnelly, south back to home. 81* day. Perfect.

Thanks for getting that route started. I’ll do it again when someone is ready.

IMG_3219.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
  6. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Posted this on the weekday thread, but if you can do it Saturday, that works too.

Time to step up and get out there and ride in the mountains!

I'm trying to get out once a week or so to find new (to me) dirt roads up in the hills and haven't been able to get very many of you to come out riding. The route from Silver City to Jordan Valley is starting to get to me, since I've now failed twice to ride it from one end to the other. I now have GPS tracks for the full route and I can see that I turned around yesterday when I was still on the right course. I feel obsessed with completing that route. I think I'm finally prepared to do that.

So I'm available anytime next week, Monday to Saturday June 8-13 to go try this route one more time. In my opinion, it's appropriate for any dual sport or adventure bike. The only issue is riding back from Jordan Valley, which is going to be better on a bigger bike. The whole ride is likely to take at least 8 hours and be around 200 miles round trip from Meridian. I can promise beautiful scenery and the chance to get to the top of several mountains in the area.

Here's the route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sil...1b93c9e88!2m2!1d-117.0543037!2d42.9740445!3e0

If you're willing to help me conquer this route, let me know and we'll work out the details of which day, what time, and where to meet.

Who's with me on this?
  7. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:

I’d stay off anything that’s not a heavily improved road with all the rain/snow they’re getting today until it dries out. Unless riding in icy slick gumbo mud is your thing. That area gets really bad. 5,000’ snow level today.
  8. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Good advice. Looks like I'll have to put this one off a while. The last thing I want to do is go on a mud ride.
    marbee40 likes this.
  9. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts and IAMC is putting on a camping expo in Caldwell on Sat 12-6. I’ll be headed there just to get out for a few. Contact IAMC if you’re interested.
  10. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Im headed out next weekend (6/19-21) for an overnighter or two. Anyone up to explore north?
  11. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm up for the first part of the ride, minus the overnight part.

Yeah, what kind of rider has to leave part way through a ride? :lol3
    marbee40 likes this.
  12. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Well, was gonna try Yellowpine to Elk City but the late Spring snowfall had other ideas. Gonna try something else. Gotta get the heck outta town for a few days.
  13. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Saturday I'm looking to ride to the top of Trinity Peak up above Prairie. Basically it's Highway 159 out of Prairie to 129, then 129A to the top. Great view up there. Still haven't decided if I'll ride the Honda or KTM for this one. The last couple of miles to the top is all "baby head" rocks.

I expect to start about 8:30 or 9:00. Let me know if any of you are interested.
  14. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Just tried to ride to the Trinity look out Last week. Closed gate kept us from getting there. Someone said there are still some big snow banks blocking the road. There is a drive around but we did not take it as there were a lot of FS people working real close by and we already had a good ride in. No idea when it will be open but am sure someone here will know or know how to find out.
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to the gate in the photo below?

That one that says it is closed to all but ATV and motorcycles?

Or is there another one?

Attached Files:

16. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    The closed gate is way before that one. That gate is on the dead end road that goes to the lookout.

P1000601.JPG Trinity lookout is about 90 degrees to the right from the road.
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information.

I'll figure out somewhere else to ride to. Any ideas?
  18. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Lots of dirt roads in that area......could make a loop to Anderson Reservoir......I think or even Idaho City. I try to avoid pavement so a lot of rides are out and back but like to make a loop when I can. Some of the best rides are when you just go explore a new area. Never know what you'll find. ;)
  19. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I think I'll head to Pilot Peak. I have a GPS route from last time I went there.

So, you want to come?
  20. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    When are you going? I would truck my bike to......a dirt road parking spot. Bike is plated but still a dirt bike. ;)