Bolivia: Uyuni - Laguna Verde, exit question

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by crashmaster, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I was there in mid-April. I'd heard there was a foot of water on the lakes. Also there was a different vibe three years ago. I kept hearing first-hand horror stories. Very different from your point of view. The idea of my trip detouring through Bolivia was more than I could handle.

Things sure can change quickly!

I really want to go. If I start planning now, I'll probably beat Jon aka Throttlemeister!
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Actually, things have not changed. Its still the same.

Yeah, I heard lots of horror stories about kidnapped tourists, people waking up on the street with their wallets gone and a kidney missing. All the standard stuff, right before I crossed the border.

Some of these idiot backpackers really spread a lot of shit as well as idiot moto travelers. When you are on the road long enough, you hear the same bullshit stories started by all travelers. At first, its alarming. But by the tenth time you hear the same story in a different context (all of supposedly first hand BTW) you just laugh it off since its total bullshit.

You just have to ignore that shit because much of it is bullshit. The stuff that is true gets embellished to point that its ridiculous. So, youre going to have to go back and ride it.

Travelers want to think that they are doing something dangerous and on the edge, so they make this shit up to tell other travelers and people at home. Simple scare tactics, just like the US state department.
  3. Zibou

Zibou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot Crashmaster,
    I have no experience in sand, and I do not know a lot of spots around mexico city to practice,
    I'm planning on doing the trip on a KLR or maybe a lighter bike, should be no issue to get the bike up after crashing.
    As I am pretty used to ride up in mub and stuff like that, I guess I could get used to sand pretty quickly,

Addicional questions:

1. I plan to be there by Febrary, so middle of the wet season, what should I expect regarding the road condition, Still deep sand or worst (deep mud)?

2. On something like a kLR or Falcon 400, is a 50/50 type tire enough (karoo or TCK 80 for example) or should I definitely go for off road tire?

3. I think it will be a good thing to have a GPS for that trip, I am going to investigate witch device best suits my needs, any recommendation would be good!
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Vinnie- you've already got your epic ride in the Ride Report Link Thread. Now you have this one, too. Right on the front page, after the one guy figured out how to get into Bolivia.
  5. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR, Vincent.:clap
    Thanks very much for all the info and pics.
    Let us know if you decide to come to Brazil.
    We have a bed here (Santos and São Paulo) for you.
    Take care.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Refreshing...:D

I like the old Russian maps thing.
    It would be fun to kill some brews over them.

You can subdue the cold, but the relentless winds - you must hide. They wear you down.

Thanks for the quality report. :thumb
  7. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Vincent,

What tires are you using ?
  8. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Those were MT-21's that I bought in Bolivia.

I am still planning to come to Brazil so thanks so much for you offer. :thumb My rough plan is to get out of Patagonia before the high season, then start heading north.

If I get stuck in Brazil I will try and ship the bike home. But if I can manage to leave Brazil before March I will try to ride it home.
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:

Sure thing, thanks man. Yeah those russian maps were cool. I'm going to email the guy that has them and see if he can scan them and send them to me. If so, i can email them to you.
  10. martinef

martinef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Vincent,
    Really cool pics!!!! I wanna ride Bolivia's lands too with our sidecar :D I read part of your RR yesterday and it is really impresive how you had the courage to keep riding south after the incident in BC. Me quito el sombrero parcero :evil Keep having fun and ride safe!!!!

Efrain Martinez
  11. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa Contemplator

Oddometer:
    Vincent, what a trip!! These pictures are awesome, many thanks for sharing them with us.

Bolivia is very safe to ride IMHO, I felt safer riding there than on most roads here in Brazil. Granted, I only rode in southern Bolivia and don't know how it feels like north of Uyuni. The only possible sort of fear I felt is that the area is *really* remote and we kept wondering how it would be like if we had any accident or incident that prevented either one of us to ride on a bike, it would be a long while until decent help could be found.

For those who fell in love with Vin's pictures (all of us, I'm sure) but are hesitant to take the route he chose (directly from Uyuni to SPA through the lagunas) there are other alternatives that are almost equally beautiful and not challenging, with good compacted ripio (dirt). Villazon to Uyuni is very scenic and Uyuny to Ollague (Chile) and then Calama is wonderful (but don't go via Rio Grande).

Vin, if you get lost in Brazil, I join Lucio and also offer a bed and food here on Ilhabela; and booze also, of course.

Thanks again for the wonderful pics and RR.
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    If you could post the Russian map scans on smugmug or somewhere like that...

I think Touratech sells the Russian maps as a CD, part 090-0098.
  13. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Love this pic.

[​IMG]
  14. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    Nice Vince, we maybe cross pad in december ,i be in uruguay for christmas if you need a place to stay let me no
  15. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    I think the Salar could be flodded, but not sure if that happens every year or not. They tell me the rains happen around January/February. However, the rest is desert sand, gravel, etc and will suck up water very fast so it will be dry. I would be shocked if there is any mud at all once you get off the salar. I think that thunderstorms, and not a steady all day rain, is what you should expect during the rainy season there.

Sure, a 50/50 tire will work, I just like to have knobbies, well, because I like to have knobbies. TKC or Karoo would be be equally as good. The the Germans did it with nearly bald MT-60's, but they went very slowly.

Any GPS should do. I have a Zumo because I like a big screen, but the touchscreen and cradle are weak points. I think an old Garmin 276C would be really nice to have as well. Its a personal choice.

Thanks Fernando! :thumb

Sure thing Max, I'll see what I can do.

Gracias amigo! Its possible that I could be up that way by Christmas.

Thanks. One of my favoirites. :thumb
  16. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g1vdglW220Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g1vdglW220Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  17. Fernando Costa

Oddometer:
    Vin,

What a wonderful video! I was missing your posts. I tried to do a similar video when I was on the salar in April but of course my camera elected not to function, and I only found out *after* the fact, as usual.

Abrazos,
  18. Zibou

Zibou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate your post, I hate your video !!!!! :rofl
    Exactly 2 months before beginning of the trip for me... maybe the longest 2 months of my life...
  19. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Gracias Fernando. That was my first day with the GoPro camera and I had not quite figured it out. I thought that I took a lot more video, but when I saw there were only a few clips, I was bummed out. :scratch

I was not pressing the button hard enough to get the camera to come on. Bummer that it had to happen on this segment of the trip. :cry

Ha! Hang in there, you will be on the road soon!
  20. Fernando Costa

Oddometer:
    Gracias Fernando. That was my first day with the GoPro camera and I had not quite figured it out. I thought that I took a lot more video, but when I saw there were only a few clips, I was bummed out. :scratch

Hi Vin, my camera was a GoPro too, the previous model, not the HD one, and I had a lot of problems fiddling with it on the go, I never knew when the damn thing was on or off. It is difficult to get a feel for the buttons with the gloves on, I hope they imporved this on the HD model.

In any event, what you got from the salar is really very nice and gives a very good idea of what it is like to ride on the salar.

Abraços,