Bolivia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BvilleBud, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bolivia seems like a amazing place that most ADV'ers would love; wild, beautiful, unpredictable, with rich history and many types of geography. It also seems a little under-served here. Any thoughts on a thread on Bolivia? Who has been, where did you go? I'm going with my girl in November, La Paz to start, rent a bike and see the North Yungas road, then on to Cochabamba to see her son.
  2. Yuhmak

Yuhmak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, if you come thru Samaipata (120kms from Santa Cruz de la Sierra) we could have a beer and I can tell you a bit about riding on the Altiplano and the Ruta del Che. Just send me a pm. Saludos yuhmak
    BvilleBud and XR Valdeez like this.
  3. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Gracias Yuhmak! My friend's daughter is in San Ignacio which is near Santa Cruz. We will see her in Cochabamba this trip, but plan to be in the Santa Cruz area later and would love to catch up. I am amazed by your beautiful country and want to see every part of it.
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Bolivia has been one of the most enjoyable countries so far on my travels through South America. I have covered a lot of it, and documented it here. I would recommend considering a tour with Chris Strong of Bolivia Motorcycle Tours in El Torno, just west of Santa Cruz.
    BvilleBud likes this.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I loved riding through Bolivia. It was like riding a century or two ago. We went to ride the Death Highway (Yunges Rd), got lost in the rain and fog, and ended up on another equally spectacular road. Spent the night in Coroico and rode Yunges Rd the next day. I'd like to go back and spend a few days in Coroico to explore the area. Not to mention I was there at the start of the rainy season and the Salar de Uyuni had just flooded so i didn't get to check that out.

A big advantage was how inexpensive it was to stay there. With planning, I'd imagine you could average $25 a day when traveling with others.
    BvilleBud likes this.
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I have come to know Bolivia pretty well in the past year. I rode there twice and visited many areas.

The Cordillera Real - 16,300ft high roads surrounded by snow capped goodness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Youngas" - jungles of the east - Lush vegetation, rain, mud slides and banana trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The South Western high desert Uyuni salt flats and the sandy desert roads going to Chile and Argentina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all kinds of stuff in between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hurry guyz because Bolivia is undergoing a a major infrastructure change. All of the main roads that were once dirt are getting paved as we speak. I saw a massive amount of road construction all over the country. Many of the roads will have you wish for a Multistrada in the future and not a Dual Sport bike.

Bolivia is a little bit more challeging to negotiate for novice travelers than say Peru but the rewards are well worth the input.

JF
    powderzone, Parcero and BvilleBud like this.
  8. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Viva Bolivia! About 60 days and we get on the plane! Over the past year I have eaten more than my share of Bolivian food and all of it is delicious! Antichuchos, Charque, Salteñas, Silpancho, Piqué Macho, Lingua, Tripe, and of course Llajua on everything. Great stuff!
    powderzone and Parcero like this.
  9. Parcero

Oddometer:
    That’s for damn sure. Even so, there will still be all of those little secondary roads that won’t get paved for decades, if ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jfman likes this.
  10. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget sopa de maní.

BvilleBud likes this.
  11. powerwade

powerwade n00b

Oddometer:
    HI,
    i had last year a big motor problem at my KTM 990. After 3 Weeks of trying to repair at an KTM garage in La Paz i left the motorcycle there .Now it is running again. The owner of the shop promised me to sell my bike. Now, 5 month later the bike still again rest in La Paz. The 3 month to get the bike legal out of bolivia are over. Does anyone know some Bolivian who would by this bike or could tell me an option to bring out the bike without crossing the custom. It is an KTM 990 ADV in white . Build 2012 with about 38.000 km. Including paniers and other equipement for travelling.
  12. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard that it is not hard to sneak out of Bolivia in the East (border with Brazil)

Met a guywho overstayed his tourist visa by many months. He wanted to renew by leaving and coming back but the fees were too high. So he told me he walked out to Brazil and the walked back into Bolivia to get a fresh visa.

Good luck
  13. powerwade

powerwade n00b

Oddometer:
    The Problem is the Motorcycle. After 3 Month in Bolivia you must pay a horrible tax if you went out. Therefore i need a option to get the bike out without cross the bolivian aduana.
  14. Parcero

Oddometer:
    You can apply for an extension of a Bolivian TVIP at any office of aduanas in Bolivia. They will normally only grant an extension if the moto was damaged and needed repair and that caused a delay in your travels, or for a medical or family emergency that required the rider to leave Bolivia without the moto and rendered the rider unable to return til after the original expiration of the TVIP. I don’t know if they will do it after the TVIP has expired. I was told to request the extension prior to the expiration of my TVIP. Perhaps you can make the case that someone in Bolivia was supposed to do it for you and failed.

15. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just pulled into La Paz! Beautiful ride from Copacabana including a ferry boat across a small section of Lake Titicaca.

The gas thing was a bit weird. Got turned down by three places before a local on a bike helped us.

Hopefully the gas thing will improve once we're out of La Paz.

Beautiful country so far!!
    powderzone and Parcero like this.
  16. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Did they say why they wouldn’t sell you gas?
  17. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    FWIW I may be able to get a local to you in La Paz if you are in a spot.
  18. Parcero

Oddometer:
    I’ve never been turned down at a gas station in Bolivia with two exceptions. One, if the station was out of gasoline. Two, in some cities, gas stations stop selling gas after 6 PM as a way to prevent crime or delinquents from having access to transportation. In that instance, there were many places usually within a block or two of the gas stations selling gas out of plastic bottles or drums.

I have paid the foreigner price which is the highest, the “sin factura” price, which is lower, and was lucky enough to have several stations fill my moto directly at the Bolivian rate which is the lowest.

On one trip, a local gave me a clean one-gallon oil jug to carry with me. Gas stations would fill that up at the lowest price, and I would make several trips to fill it and empty it into the moto, which was parked away from the pumps and well out of sight of any security cameras.

XR Valdeez, powderzone and Cal like this.
  19. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    They didn't want to do the extra work of puting the information into the system. We saw locals getting gas. And the attendants were taking lic plate numbers, inputing it into a computer, then when they were done, they got a rcpt with their plate number on it.

Where the local helped us, they used his Bolivian plate number, but charged us the intl rate. Our guy said it was bullshit and the attendant probably just pocketed the cash.....
    Parcero likes this.
  20. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We're going to get a 10l jug and have with us just in case.......