Bolivia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BvilleBud, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Less than a month before I go to Bolivia and it just occurred to me that I will need a GPS with maps. Any suggestions? I have a couple of Garmin's and see they have Bolivia maps available. What's your experience with GPS in Bolivia? - Thanks!!!
  2. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I used maps.me on my iPhone 7+, which has been my “GPS” of choice since 2015. It’s free and very detailed, probably more so than Garmin, and got me everywhere I wanted to go. Also, my phone is easier to read than any Garmin device that I have ever used.

I relied on Google maps in urban areas with good cellular coverage. While maps.me relies on your phone’s GPS antenna and, as such, doesn’t need a cellular connection, I found Bolivia to have a very robust cellular network that was available in all but the most remote locations, and LTE service was available in many larger cities. As an aside, while all hotels that I used had WiFi, in many cases the cellular network offered faster connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on maps.me! Have it on my S-8+ and just left Bolivia. Worked great and all the roads, paved and dirt were on it!
    Parcero and 95Monster like this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I only used maps.me as well.

Works good except it doesnt know the quality
    Of the roads.
    Parcero likes this.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    6 years ago, I used the OSM maps on my Garmin. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. Much better than nothing as you could use the city locations and the roads in front of you to get where you wanted. I assume they have gotten better with more user input
  6. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Any leads on a MC rental in San Ignacio? I have things ready in La Paz, but looking for a rental for a rental in the east also
  7. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 2 week tour there, will offer any information I can if needed.
  8. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Where did you go? What was it like? Let’s have some details! I have less than 2 weeks to go and I can’t wait!
  9. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure can just as soon as I get home and can get on a computer and with clear thoughts. Still enroute for now. I did ride the North Yungas Road, La Paz, Copacabana among others I can't recollect at the moment.
  10. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:

I would recommend not taking streets that look like a short cut while in LA Paz

I found osm on garmin pretty useless when I took the wrong route on the Yungas roads , I could see the road on the map, but could not find the end of the road on the map . What was suppose to be an easy day , turned into a very long grueling day of riding
  11. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I used OSM on my Map60CSx twice in Bolivia and found it worked fine for me. That was in 2012 and 2014? Could only be better now.
  12. wanderlone

wanderlone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can download all of Bolivia (Or anywhere) with Google maps and turn any run of the mill Android phone into a stand alone GPS with usually the best info. My experience in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil is usually Google often has better road coverage then many other base maps fron many other companies and sources. For free it's a no brainier I don't get why more people don't use.
    Parcero and BvilleBud like this.
  13. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys! I'll go with maps.me and Google for he win. My guess is that my Boliviana will be my best guide. Less than a week.
    Parcero likes this.
  14. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    OK guys help me out. I am in Bolivia and love it, but I’m trying to figure out how to make a call out. I can FB message and Whatsapp, but to just dial out? Everyone but my mother has more modern communication, but I’m trying to touch base on her 90’s flip phone. So how do I just dial out?
  15. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sykpe
  16. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    When I was dialing out from Bolivia to either an international or local number from my U.S. cellular phone (carrier: T-Mobile) I always got a recording asking me to dial a two-digit number to complete the call. The two-digit number was always different. The recording said, “To complete this call please dial 53,” for example. I honestly don’t remember if the recording was in Spanish or English but it seemed like it was a way to authenticate the call. I never experienced that in any other country in Latin America. My calls went through flawlessly as soon as I punched in whatever number the recording asked for.
  17. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If you live at sea level and flying to La Paz be prepared to acclimate.
    Bolivia is the highlight of South America for me and it's shocking so many "adventure" riders skip her.

knight, 95Monster and Woody2627 like this.
  18. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    A fun day in the Amazon Basin. I had not planned on riding this part of Bolivia, so I did not bring ANY cycle gear (no one here wears it anyway). I had inquired and was told that there were no bike rentals available. After talking to a motorcycle taxi driver at a food stand, trading some stories and showing some pics of my bikes he helped to arrange a rental for the day. It was a beautiful day to ride! We took two clapped out Chinese 150 standard bikes with knobby tires and explored the roads between San Javier and Conception. The bike I was on showed 11000 on the ODO but it was broken (no odo, no speedo, no tach, nada. I guess the Chinese were not very optimistic, because it had only a five digit ODO. We stopped at the local gas station (brick row house on the edge of town) where a lady filled the bikes from liter coke bottles, and we were off. Enrique and my girl's daughter were on one bike, me and her on the other. I had the throttle against the stop more than any other position, but we had a blast. We saw very little traffic, there were unbelievable beautiful vistas. The roads were very nice twisty with many hills. There were farms, enormous rock outcropping, jungle, thousands of Brama cows, and millions of butterflies. I had to doge a protester blocked road, but am now in San Ignacio. Bolivia is simply incredible.
    Parcero likes this.
  19. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    A "fuel station" in San Javier! :-)

63A59D57-5BB1-40CE-8B0D-9A3E3F05EE28.jpeg
    Misery Goat and Parcero like this.
  20. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    A7A70603-B0D3-4203-9ED6-EA74B004C5FA.jpeg
    Misery Goat and Parcero like this.