Bolivia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BvilleBud, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I wish! Back stateside for a bit.
  2. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    8BA5390A-7E50-489B-97FD-259066E5A891.jpeg D1048794-FB65-455F-BEFB-DA92E4441E8C.jpeg I road N. Yungus road today (the Death Road). Honestly it was the coolest road I have ever ridden. Two up and so much fun. Crazy beautiful, and yes rode through the waterfalls.
    95Monster and Parcero like this.
  3. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    4F88B831-3612-41A5-98F5-5B5F147FEFFF.jpeg 573517A2-4ED2-4A77-AB2B-2ABC816D6F84.jpeg B8A499B7-5BCB-4D9E-B5B8-F8A519FAE2E8.jpeg
    95Monster, knight, Tricepilot and 2 others like this.
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Looks like you had some nice weather for the Death Road. Fun stuff!
    BvilleBud likes this.
  5. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff, i am sitting here reliving our travels through your photos. It was snowing the day we ascended La Cumbre.

Where did you get the KLR ?
  6. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    From Roberto at Motorcycle Tours Bolivia, he did everything to make the experience the best. Picked us up on time not Bolivia Time (many may not be familiar with “Bolivia Time” but it is somewhere between 15 minutes and two hours late). He had the bike ready to go and even though we brought our gear, he had a wall of gear for riders. The bike ran great, perfect day.
    95Monster likes this.
  7. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    B6688A23-FA81-42F7-8371-FF6536C1FDEA.jpeg 6DC2B754-320F-48FB-82E4-03BFB090E743.jpeg
    Parcero likes this.
  8. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for that. I am strongly considering returning next year to pick up the places i missed and was looking for an outfitter. Thanks again.

Your photos look great !
  9. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    The third time through the falls. We came through and had to do a video so I dropped off my love and went back.
    ScotsFire, Parcero and ApexJeff like this.
  10. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Last video
  11. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    I tried three places, one did not call me back, another had “issues” with what day and time and Roberto got right back and was very professional.
  12. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Please forgive my horrible video editing skills. I'll work on these and update them.

From La Paz to Coroico

El Camino de la Muerte - The Death Road

A ride through La Paz
    Innovator525 and Parcero like this.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just looked- they have a decent website and looks to be a great fly & ride company & country but there is no information as to which tours are open for 2019 nor if self tours are possible and no lodging info either? They could benefit from looking at a number of other MC tour companies websites.
  14. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Having just finished a tour with that outfitter i looked also as that does not sound right, I believe you are looking at the 2018 schedule.
    kantuckid likes this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, your correct!
    I edited my post, thus my quotation within your post is wrong!
    It would still be nice to have more info on there about tour locales, lodging, self touring possibilities and 2019.
  16. Innovator525

Innovator525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not believe self guided tours are a part of his program and as far as the website , , , , first impressions ( and websites ) can be very misleading. Have you looked into other tour operators there ? Sounds like Bvillebud has found one.

Bvillebud, have you made it home yet ?
  17. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    I am home! The guy I used - Roberto (link above) had tours and simple bike rentals also. For the nominal charge, you might want to look into a guide depending on the time etc.

Give a call, he has a German guy Gustavo working for him who's English is perfect. PM me for any additional information.
    Innovator525 likes this.
  18. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd provide some additional lessons learned for anyone considering traveling to Bolivia to vacation or to ride. It is a wonderful place!! I can't wait to return next year. Something to consider is that Bolivia is not your "usual" adventure vacation destination. It is a world unto itself, crazy government, very diverse conditions, climate and geography; infrastructure is in flux at all times. If you are prepared to relax and take one day at a time, not being worried if your plans and timelines are completely shot, Bolivia may be for you, but if you have to be from point A to point B in an exact time-frame you may want to thing long and hard about the trip. Bolivia is not "steak and potatoes" place, it is Anticuchos and Mocochinchi. If you are willing to not only accept, but to embrace and enjoy the chaos you will love this beautiful country. Now on with my list....
    Innovator525 likes this.
  19. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    Things you will need:
    US Passport

Bolivia Visa - you can get this prior or at the airport, if I had to do it over again I'd do it prior
    http://boliviala.org/us-citizen-visa-requirements/
    the requirements are:
    - Sworn statement - check
    - valid passport - check
    - picture for visa - done at the airport
    - Hotel reservation’s copy, or invitation letter from relatives or friends including the city/address and staying period - I didn't have this when I arrived so I scribbled my mother in law's address on a blank sheet of paper, done!
    Flight ticket or the tour itinerary - showed my ticket stub, done
    The last Checking, Savings or Credit Card Statement - they didn't ask for this
    and of course $160 - the guy wanted cash; I wonder if Evo got his share??

State Department info on Bolivia - it is worth a look, but don't stress it
    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bolivia.html

Yellow Fever shot - I had to pay $260 to get this in the US. You can get it at the airport. It is not "required" but a great idea

Brush up on your Spanish - a little effort will return great results and the people will love you for your attempt. DON'T expect anyone to know English.

Gear -bike gear, clothing etc. - More later but no brainer

Banks - notify them of the trip so they don't kill your card

Cash! - a card worked in maybe 10% of the places I went, so take hard cold cash

Cell Service - get a global plan before you travel

Health Insurance - make sure you carrier covers you, or find another resource

Knowledge of the culture - Again a little time and effort go soooooo far. Many people were amazed at what I knew of their country; Camba v. Koya, how the N. Yungus road was constructed, the foods, the types of traditional dances (and the fact that I could dance them poorly), and knowledge of the cities or regions that they lived in. People quickly figured out that I cared about Bolivia and I cared about them. Suddenly I had friends, not just strangers on the street.
    Parcero likes this.
  20. BvilleBud

Oddometer:
    On to Food!! Feel free to add to this list.

I'll break this down further, by foods in each region later, but for now:
    A few basic things you may not be familiar with:
    Yuca Sstarchy root potato "ish" things, very good
    Chuño Dried Potatoes
    Choclo / Mote Pelado Large Kernal Corn

The dishes:
    Salteñas Delicious Meat Pies (usually carne or pollo)
    Antichuchos Carne on a stick cooked over a grill (usually heart meat), these are freakishly AWESOME
    Chicharrón Fried pork ribs, usually served with Corn and Potato
    Pique Macho A large plate of hot dogs, beef, fries, hard boiled egg, onions & peppers - a staple and very good
    Silpancho Beef rice potatoes,
    Charque Dried salty crispy beef, sooo delicious
    Sopa de maní Peanut soup, delicious
    Fricasé de Pollo Chicken soup with vegetables
    Llajwa Hot sauce made from tomato locoto and Quirquiña, why this isn't a thing in America is beyond me
    Salchipapa Hot dogs and fries
    Pacay fruit Looks like huge green bean, tasty white fruit inside the husk (don’t eat the seeds)
    Chirimoya fruit Paw Paw fruit. Eat the delicious white meat inside, don’t eat the seeds - super tasty
    Fruto ambaiba A green fruit that kind of looks like long dead fingers. I had some in San Javier and it was very good
    Mocochinchi Peach tea made with dried peach
    Chicha Corn tea made from corn water cinnamon and sugar - there is also a different Chicha that is an alcohol drink made from chewed corn.