Bomb Dropped! New version of Locus 4 is going subscription.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gpsdualsport, Apr 27, 2019.

1. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    This is blowing up on the already huge Locus thread. My goal is to get user feedback on other Subscription Apps. This Subscription based stuff is all new to me.
    What am I getting for my money?
    How does CalTopo compare to feature set of the upcoming Locus 4?
    What other choices are out there?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Locus because it's cheaper than buying a Garmin. If that changes, I'll either find another app or buy a stand alone unit.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's unfortunate, but their choice. i would have much rather seen a "donate" button added to the website or in the settings of the application.... but (sigh) subscription it is. i guess we'll see how long the current PRO version is kept up as "classic", i would expect that to change as soon as they ars how few use the subscription
  4. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm not the smartest tack in the box when it comes to things like this but I think they just shot themselves in the foot. Especially when they are still keeping the "classic" version free. I for one do not need all the added features they are talking about with the subscription version and I don't think a lot of others do either. There live tracking is useless if it needs a cell signal, I almost never have a cell signal where I ride. I think when they find out most of the users do not need the subscription version then the classic will go to some kind of pay as well. If it does that then I will be looking for a different app and that will be sad because of all the time I have invested in Locus trying to learn a very complicated program with so many features I never use anyway. Time will tell. Just my uneducated thoughts on this. YMMV.......
    ohgood likes this.
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember that "classic" is not free until now: you have to pay (once) to get it. I don't think this is going to change.
    It's already stated that new features won't be developped for classic. Worst case scenario:bug fixes and updates in order work with newer android versions will become sloppy.
    But i guess this leaves quite a few years of using Locus Pro as it is right now if you are happy with it, especially for us adv crowd focusing on rugged and slightly older tech phones.

As for "shooting in the foot", i'm not sure. Speculation here: I bough locus back in 2014 or something like that. Payed it once (and we are talking something like a 7€ price, not hundreds of euro licence) and since then SIGNIFICANT developpement has been done on the app, and good and prompt support was given. How is this sustainable? I guess both in-app purchases (LoMaps or 3d party maps) and increasing user base. My bet is that last one was continuously increasing but has reached or will reach a plateau soon. This has to eventually happen, and then the first source alone may not be enough.

Personnally i see a lot of very interesting things in the incoming stuff:
    - sync of tracks/poi/maps: fuck yeah. I already have 3 devices (regular phone, "motorcycle gps" phone, emulator on computer) and struggle with that. I'm experiencing with a 4th device (e-ink screen here we are..) which may replace the "motorcycle" one, but maybe not. I may decide to pay 2€/month or 15€/year for that alone to be honest (that's about the announced price range)..

- better wmts support: this already work but require a bit of manual work. To the point i had the plan to do some external importation tool for locus. It would be exciting to have a nice way to point to a "getCapabilities" xml response and BAM you get the map.

That's the stuff i'd really really like to have (and I guess the first one is really, really asked for since a while), then the other stuff is cool too:
    - full integration of brouter, especially if this helps a bit with performance
    - better OSM poi integration

Add something like a a few "free" months if you already paid for the pro version and i may jump in the wagon right when this is released...
    EmmEff, gpsdualsport and ohgood like this.
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the ADV Locus thread gone??
  7. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
  8. AdvNener

Oddometer:
    Quickly went through the comments on the locus website, and according to Menion's answers, price should be around 1€/month or 10€/year. Release planned around september.

As a side note an update to the pro version should come next week or so.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    such a disappointment every time i think about it.
  10. AdvNener

Oddometer:
    Yeah I understand that. At that price point.. clearly less than 1% of the total cost of riding a motorcycle for me, pricing is not the issue. But stop paying and you can't use it anymore kinda sucks.