BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I found this on craigslist while browsing the for sale ads. A Grom clone already? That happened pretty quickly. Here's a link http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcd/5384123335.html and what the ad says

"You Asked For It.
    Now it's available.

2016- GROM Clone. Electric or Gas

Electric Spec's: 60 mph, 50-80 miles per charge, 2000 watt brushless variable speed motor, 72 volts Batteries are good for up to 400 charges- thats equal to 30,000+ miles. It cost less than 10 cents to charge.

Like us on Facebook to see the video!!!

Electric version available now!!
    Gas version coming this summer."
    STUFF2C likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grom clones were available in Taiwan about a month after the Grom came out.
    superduder likes this.
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clever the way they mounted the controller to look like an exhaust.
    I don't think its possible to buy the motor, batteries and controller alone for $1599 if the specs listed in the post are correct.
    accurate and mikestib1 like this.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    It will be interesting to see if it meets the speed/distance claims. We have had a couple small electric scooters to use around RV parks, and they were great. Those weren't street legal, so this one has a LOT going for it, if it does what it says.
  5. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Hope the batteries don't catch fire while you are riding it like those hover board clones all the kids got for Christmas. Other than fear of a firey death, it looks really cool.
    p3ga and Littledigit21 like this.
  6. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see how they can get those performance numbers for that price either. Some time ago, I tried to find (or build) an electric bicycle with a 20 mile no pedal range, and all I needed was a top speed of 10 mph. I discovered it was going to cost between $2000-$3000 to do that. And that was for a bicycle with skinny tires and a lot less weight than that fake Grom.
  7. dkazzed

dkazzed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2000 watt motor, about what a 49cc makes, 60 mph?
  8. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:

NO WAY, that Is total BS !!!! The real GROM has 8 - 9 HP and 60 MPH is its absolute top speed stock. 2000 watts will NOT go that fast.

Also, I don't believe it is even 2000 watts, most cheap Chinese products LIE about their specs. The gas model will probably break down the first month. If you want a GROM, buy a real Honda GROM. Unless you want to spend 1500 dollars and have a broken bike to look at, that you can not get any parts for.

Mike
  9. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    If those specs were anywhere close to correct, I'd buy one. I have a hunch though that 45 MPH top with 40-50 miles of range would be closer. 10 cents per charge is optimistic too.
    almostoast likes this.
  10. Baudler

Baudler n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting name for an electric bike.
  11. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't believe for a minute that it will go that fast, or even that far for that price, not even close.... I hope we get an accurate report of what it does when someone buys one.

Mike
  12. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I'm going to jump on the naysayer bandwagon. 2000W is not even 3hp. Stock Grom will barely pull 60 on flat ground with 10ish HP.

Sean :bmwrider
  13. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:

I agree.
  14. PhysX

PhysX n00b

Oddometer:
    I got one, I purchased it from a dealer in Sacramento. It was the first time they sold this bike, though they deal in other non-electric products.

Here's my 2 cents on the bike, since I took the plunge and there isn't much on the net about these things.

I weigh ~280 lbs with all my gear, so I'm near the indicated limits of the bike's capacity 330 lbs if I remember correctly (ref: Boom International Holdings website, USA, look it up).
    For what it's worth that mfgr. states top speed is actually 65 km/h, again see their website.
    Per the manual, as I've been conditioning the battery through use, 61 km/h is the maximum indicated speed I have achieved, I started with a 58 km/h top speed at delivery (4km on the bike) and the top speed has climbed.
    Everything looks nice and fits together well, I like the bike and it's cosmetically a value, with tinted signals and even signals frenched into the fairing.
    Some non-important welds are obvious crap, like a nut that holds a fastener to mount a body panel on the battery box.
    An indicated 12-15 km is my range on the new battery array, I drove it 12 km home from the shop, and it was dying as I came around the corner to my home. I don't push it any more because I don't have to and don't want to. If you've got a rolling road, I'd be happy to test it. The only true disappointment, as the mfgr. states the range is 55-60 km.
    Indicated speed and range seems accurate, the odometer is tied to the speed of the rear wheel.
    I can't 1 up it (not a chance), but it is torquey. Maybe if it had a clutch... but it is a 1-speed automatic, the motor is in the wheel.
    You can't apply the front brake and the throttle to do a burn out :(
    You can do a burn out on a slippery surface :)
    Throttle can be a bit touchy, but it is certainly adaptable to once you understand how it applies the torque.
    I changed the headlights out to LEDs and they are great!
    It requires a motorcycle endorsement in my state, California.
    To save on range, you can turn on the lights in 4 states: all off, red-leds (not bright) parking, + lights, + brights
    A full charge takes ~6 hours.

WARNING: If you drive the thing heavy down pour, with water all over the road, the bike may have issues, but my experience was relatively safe (it was a no-start condition after running, it actually ran fine in the rain).
    My experience: I pulled over to get something at a gas station during a heavy downpour on my commute, as a result the bike would not engage power to drive the rear wheels for a couple of days, the gauges and lights engaged just fine. I checked the breaker and cycled it, I charged the battery, and I couldn't get the bike to move until it dried out in a couple of days (my guessing). -- Everything has been great since, and today I just rolled over 100 km on the odo (~62 miles).

I hope this has been helpful. Ask any questions if you have them.
  15. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds very interesting, and despite what all the dino-fuel lovers say, it IS the future.

Instant on acceleration helps, and if you want to be truly "green", go to Tractor Supply and buy a their solar panel kit.
    Littledigit21 and voltsxamps like this.
  16. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lithium battery fires can go "BOOM".
  18. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, but Tesla is doing pretty well with 'em.
  19. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    7-9 miles on a charge is less than half what a typical golf cart will do.

Hard to think of any practical use for it. Electric bicycles seem like a much better option, at least for any situation that I can think of. At least with a bike you can pedal if you run short of your destination or use pedal assist to extend the range.

I think electric IS probably our future, but the future ain't here yet.
    Blzrmike and TanukiPDX like this.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I haven't tried the e-bike with just the throttle to see how far it will go. At 18 miles with pedal assist, the battery is generally flickering between 3/4 and 1/2. Of course, I can only go about 20 mph on that bicycle.

My perspective is: an electric scooter is more practical than most pure electric cars. 18 years ago, I had a small electric scooter (not street legal, but great around the campground) that had about an 18 mile range. I would think they would have improved a whole bunch since then. With a 40 to 50 mile range, these would be great as an errand runner.

It sure won't replace my scooter, but the e-bike has been all I hoped it would be. Yeah, I think electric is our future, too.
    Leolivinlife and voltsxamps like this.