BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least on the msx clones you would only need to remove the upper fairing.
  2. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look familiar? Go to number 10.

Leolivinlife likes this.
  3. dai1

dai1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I managed to remove the fairings and replaced my lead acid batteries with new ones, but my speed is topping out at 45kmh. Is there a break in period for the batteries before I achieve 60kmh? Or am I too heavy? (175lb) thanks in advance!!
  4. dai1

dai1 n00b

Oddometer:
    In Canada daymak, Emmo, and motorino all sell the egrom, and smack their logo and a Governor on it :/ bylaw max speed is 32kmh, they have to add pedals, and they mark.up the price of the bike
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  5. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Endless Sphere for information on improvements.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  6. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    There is no break in for SLA batteries or any component of your eGrom.
  7. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

I didn't see the Super Soco.
  8. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    45km to 50km is about right for 72v unless you're running 96v
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  9. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike came 72 volts and I'm in the 210 range. It would top out at 60kph, 65kph wheel in the air. Sounds like your bike has a governor or your not at 72 volts.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  10. dai1

dai1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I removed the governor, and just got new batteries for it, still topping out at 45kmh. After riding it for 20 mins it seems a little sluggish, but then again I'm riding it at conditions around one-degree Celsius, although short bursts of cold shouldn't affect it

Edit: Bike was showsing 89-91%, went for a ride, topping out 30-35km/h. Came back inside, removed fairing, tested two batteries and they read 11.56V, then checked charger port and it read 70.6V. Charger is outputting 82v even thought rated at 72v. Odd...
  11. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    If your batteries are 12V SLA's, they are AGM-SLA's, and should be between 12.1V to 13.05V when you use them. Different brands have slightly different internals. A few types of AGM's are up to 13.15V. Battery voltage testing, for lead acid, should be done 24 hours after charging, because the reading after removing the charger is not a steady number. Unless you have a battery-analyzer which checks capacity.

So, your batteries are not within the working range, at 11.56VDC

Btw, read some of my old posts are batteries. If you run 12V SLA's down to below 12.1V, you'll get only maybe 50 cycles or so, depending on some variables.

12V is a nominal voltage.

The chargers should be outputting around 13.7VDC per battery, in the string.

Voltage is not the ideal way of getting the capacity (or range remaining).

As lead acid batteries age, the capacity goes down, and continuing to charge it beyond 0.1C will eventually warp the internals, or cause the battery sides to bulge.

Some cheaply-made AGM's lack (or have a fake) over-pressure valve release and iirc are not legal to take on aircraft.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  12. dai1

dai1 n00b

Oddometer:
    How long is it safe to store below nominal voltage? I found out my buildings outlet where i used to charge is only damaged now and might have issues charging it until then...
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    You’ll want to recharge it as soon as possible. Run an extension cord or push it the next closest outlet. The longer it sits in a depleted state, the less likely your pack will hold a proper charge.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  14. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    I posted somewhere that vibration kills chargers or worse, makes them go off-spec, killing the battery pack.

There are work-arounds, of course.
  15. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HEY GUYS! :clap

First and foremost: ANYONE BUYING AN EGROM OR ANY OTHER BOOM 2000W

DO NOT BUY FROM E-GROM.COM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!

That being said, I'll explain a couple of the biggest highlights in my 3 months of owning my E Monster also known as the SRT 2000W electric bike.

From first to latest:
    1 - Multiple issues with quality at delivery
    - broken seal on right front wheel
    - charge port was not plugged to the harness of the bike, the terminals were not touching
    - charger that came with the bike did not charge bike once connection from bike to charge port was fixed.
    -Scratches found on controller, sleeve disconnected exposing cables
    - I was told by Eduardo from E-grom.com to purchase a charger and he would refund me. (I have screenshots since Feb 10th with him promising to send the charger, bike sat for 2 weeks until he admitted that he hadn't sent it and that he would just refund me)
    - Noticed a rattle at 40mph (probably from broken seal on front wheel)

--- Here's where the fun starts ---

2- One of the cables that connected two battery terminals fried and caused the bike to shut off 2 miles from my house.
    IMG_20180226_191821.jpg
    IMG_20180228_201130.jpg

I was so disappointed

As you can see in the first pic, the cable was installed in a way that it was bent and touching the terminal. The terminals on the bike were loose so it caused arcing and ate through the wire the the point the bike shorted. Even with the breaker on or off it would not start as the cable was completely fried as you can see in picture two.

I had to buy another battery and cable with terminals. I learned how to solder on the bright side...

This happens like 2 weeks into the arrival of my charger. Had to walk the bike home.

The bike sat again for a week while the parts arrived.

All in all spent about $200 with battery charger, battery cables and expedited shipping.

Through out this whole process Eduardo from E-grom.com kept saying that he would pay me back for any problems. SPECIFICALLY REFUND ME FOR COST .(in the end he lies and gave store credit, more on that later)

IMG_20180303_165528.jpg

3- after repairs I smelled burnt plastic during a test ride and found another loose battery terminal causing Sparks... I cleaned the area and tightened. Added some electrical tape and that fixed it
    IMG_20180305_194259.jpg

- to be continued -
  16. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:

After the issues I faced in my first month of ownership I rode the bike for some time and decided it would be a good time to add another 12v and make my bike an 84V!

Original range after I finally got the bike working was about 20miles of range at 72V wide open throttle

After I upgraded to 84V my range became 15 miles wide open throttle

After a month of riding at 84V I am now looking at more like 12 miles. This leads me to believe that my bike probably sat uncharged for many months before I bought it.

Based on all the crazy stuff I went through after buying the bike from E-GROM.COM it seems as though my bike was not quality checked before shipping to me. It would not be surprising if the bike sat in some warehouse for a couple months before shipping.

4- WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER

I work in the auto industry as part of the Service department and I understand that people rely on their transportation every day use and expect dealers/manufacturers to own up to their mistakes if a product fails or the car breaks down.

In the last 3 months I've gotten so many promises and excuses to match from eduardo at E-grom.com. that company is a hoax and offers no support even though they claim 24/7 customer support.
    Screenshot_20180420-161823.jpg
    Excuse 1 February 13

Screenshot_20180303-103806.jpg
    After a few days he just began to ignore me :baldy:devildog

Screenshot_20180303-164905.jpg
    Here is the BS warranty

In 3 months I've gone through hell and back with this bike and fixed it myself every time with my own money and my own 2 hands. NO HELP AT ALL FROM EGROM.COM

Once you give them your money, they do not care about you. Here is some more recent "customer service"

Screenshot_20180426-222912.jpg
  17. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today I flipped out and sent E-grom.com like 20 texts to see if he would stop ignoring me and this is what I got
    Screenshot_20180426-223013__01.jpg
    W. T. F.
    :devildog

I cannot stress this enough:
    DO NOT BUY FROM EGROM.COM AKA E-GROM.COM AKA DRIFT TRIKE GANG LLC
    Screenshot_20180426-181647.jpg
    Do not be lured in by low price on that website

These bikes are incredible compared to anything else in the market and dealers like this clown are misrepresenting the bike. Make sure to buy from a dealer or website that can reassure you the bike will be quality checked before being sent to you. There is no way that you will be able to check everything before the delivery truck leaves. Once the truck leaves good luck returning the bike because YOU the buyer will have to pay for return shipping

Once I worked out all the problems, I fell in love with the way this bike drives at 84V I just wish it had better range.

I've done some aftermarket stuff so take a look at the pics that follow. Let me know if you have any questions as I'm more than happy to help anyone looking into these bikes. More people should go electric and I encourage anyone to buy these bikes! Just be careful where you buy from....
    Screenshot_20180422-084004.jpg
    Bike at stock
  18. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180405_180440.jpg
    Removed turn signals and rear fender, installed integrated tail light

IMG_20180316_122944.jpg
    Lowered suspension with spanner tool

Screenshot_20180422-000345.jpg
    Led underglow for added night time visibility

IMG_20180328_201411.jpg
    Added 12V battery into gas tank and wired in parallel - new top speed of 72kph or 44.8 mph
  19. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Thanks for your posts, which is a great REVIEW for those potential purchasers who add the word REVIEWS + PRODUCT before buying eGroms.

Btw, if you had implemented my posts on what to do after buying a China escooter, you would not have those wiring problems.

There's a few more items, too. Sorry, I don't have the URLs.

Nice job on your e-"Tesla", haha -- good job on logo. Let us know if the legal beagles say tsk tsk to that sticker.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  20. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Re BETTER RANGE

Wondering if your hub motors get warm or hot. If it does get semi-hot even, then you've got a model that doesn't have the high-efficiency setup.
    Leolivinlife likes this.