BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

When I had 120V (nominal) SLA packs, tests showed that battery voltages rose or dropped differently. You may have a weak or shorted cell within one or more batteries. Impedance and capacity (not voltage) matching with a RIM 1000 meter from Germany or a digital Battery Analyzer (was $400 when I bought for AGM's) is prolly causing your diminished range.

There 's more to this, but I have already posted what you need to know in old posts.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  2. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank you for that, I need to go back and read the whole thread again to find those hidden gems.

Hopefully legal doesn't give me a problem as I work at Tesla and that's how I got the sticker.

Sorry if I dragged on the Egrom.com rampage, I just want to make sure no one else has to go through zero dealer support when they offer a "warranty"

Regarding motor temperature, even after a long ride I have touched both the controller and the motor and they are just slightly warm. Not hot to the touch to the point that I would worry
  3. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Leo, sorry to hear your having the same problems I am. I purchased mine through Saferwholesale (don't recommend) and am getting the same responses. I think the quality issues are inherent with the bikes origin. I ended up repairing the fairing as I don't expect them to replace it. On the rattle in the front wheel, is it a rotational clicking sound? I'm going to investigate it this weekend starting with changing out the brake fluid. Sometimes the lever is spongy, sometimes tight (maybe an air pocket). The front wheel squeak is caused by the bushings being dry. Grease the bushings and outer seals and the squeak will go away. Make sure you wipe off the excess so it doesn't attract dirt.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  4. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found some other sellers. Give me your thoughts fellas.
    I haven't been able to find any reviews sadly
    SKD-CKD-Packing-High-Speed-DP-Electric.png
    Screenshot_20180428-094819.jpg
    a2706.7835515.1998800312.25.70351d4bwlwIud
  7. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Bike looks really good. I like the larger wheels and the choice of battery capacity/chemistry.
  8. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember reading earlier that you had experimented with different AH rated batteries for range improvements. What do you think about their claims of range compared to the differences in AH rating for the packs?
    Screenshot_20180428-163425__01.jpg
  9. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Considering that many Kawasaki's are manufactured in Thailand (look at the decals clearly adhered to the steering head on Kawasaki's), it is likely that slight variations could be made to brand a bike just slightly different.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  10. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    range on lithium is closer to 1ah = 1km around 60km/h and up. So if you keep your speed around 40~50kph I think you might be ablet to squeeze out about 40~50km on a 30ah.

I've decided to put my 72v batter on my scooter for now instead of my e-grom. We'll see how it does with a 1000w motor instead of 2000w.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  11. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it a different motor or different controller?
  12. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
  13. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. However from what i've seen so far, e-groms are pretty much the same coming from the factory. Same motor, and similar controller etc.
  14. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    The eGrom was running very slow today, and sluggish even downhill. So, I checked the tire pressure, even though the tires looked like they were fully inflated -- SURPRISE! The front was only 10 PSI and the rear was only 19 PSI. Range was also drastically affected.

The eGrom shut down when the Low Voltage Cutoff on the pack was triggered. Luckly, this happened near some businesses. I was able to charge for 20 minutes at a bakery factory. The head baker make a joke about, 'just push it home', then said, "OK, just plug in, there's an extension cord outside already.", and gave me a baked treat as well, after we chatted about the eGrom.
  15. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Their speed/range predictions per Ah/chemistry seem accurate based on 100% DOD/SOC, light rider weight, and continuous travel on a smooth level surface - best case scenarios basically. Real world stop and starts, speed fluctuations, elevation changes, etc will likely result in ~80% of these figures from a new battery array - lead acid falling continuously as energy is depleted and lithium providing a deeper flatter discharge curve but with sudden drop off occurring towards the last 15% of usable capacity.

Multiply their #’s by .8 for a closer representation of what to expect for the average ride and plan all trips within 90% of that to avoid complete discharge before reaching your charging destination. SLA’s will require recharging as soon as possible after discharge while lithium is much more forgivable as long as it is not left in a depleted SOC for long periods. Avoid overcharging of course and invest in a smart charger with various automatic charge rates that is rated for your Ah & chemistry. If storing for long periods, recharge to 50% every few months for lithium (or use a smart charger) to maintain - and for SLA, a battery tender or a top off at least once a month. Proper battery maintenance is a key factor in maximizing charge cycles and your bike’s usable range.

This bike should benefit from it’s supersport riding position and full fairing/windscreen with reduced wind resistance at speed vs. the more upright Grom style bike. The larger wheels also help with range.

^ manufacturer’s video of the Hanbird R3 clone

^ appears to be the same bike in different trim (GSXR clone)

More rider reviews would certainly help ease the uncertainty of buying a relatively unknown bike, but overall, looks like a good value from what’s listed on its spec sheet.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  16. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Was able to "upgrade" the eGrom's (and other 'cycles) shock absorbers with an unusual $25 air-celled "crash" dirt biking shorts with hexagonal air pockets on the posterior and the sides.

Very comforortable! Definite ride improvement!
  17. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is definitely worrying that there are no other reviews out there for those sort of bikes I know a company out in Bermuda sells them at outrageous prices even topping 10K

https://www.oniracingclub.com/product-page/torc-gte-electric-motorcycle

I have been on the fence about either buying a lithium 84 volt pack from this website:

http://www.lifepo4.in/84v40ah-.html

Or spending some more cash and buying one of the bikes from hanbird.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60675...High-Speed-DP.html?spm=a277m.product-list.0.0

Could you guys weigh in with your opinions?
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  18. dai1

dai1 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for reviews, these bikes are awfully similar if not the same as daymak em2 or emmo zone here in Canada. There are plenty of reviews and videos about these bikes
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  19. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Ask your questions at Endless Sphere, especially to the Taiwan eGrom hot rodders
    http://www.lifepo4.in/84v40ah-.html
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  20. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

They may look like the Daymak's but the motor, controller, etc, will differ. I saw a Daymak vs Eride (Motorino) review on the Motorino website from a Motorino buyer who tried an identical Daymak (cheaper price?) first. The reviewer stated that the Daymak's motor got hot, but not the Motorino. (These are 500-watters, nominal, although apparently they can be run faster, up to 1000W or more, still not burning out. See threads at Endless Sphere by hot rodders.)