BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

A friend who bought from Banggood instead of Aliexpress or DHgate had good comments about Banggood. See if this bike is listed there.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  2. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Re buying from China, in general: I have overall good experience, and when I had a real problem from shlocky merchandise, the credit card company still protected me even if Aliexpress and DHgate's complaint resolution process did not (small percentage anyway.)

Delivery, on some purchases, took longer than the China seller's estimates.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  3. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

My big question is whether the 84V is nominal or actual? (72V is always nominal, to may knowledge. My 72V LIFEPO4 pack can read nearly 83V when just off the charger.)

The 6A charger is nice, but looks small for an 84V nominal. If I was the buyer, I would buy the most powerful portable charger that the manufacturer sells for this pack. (So the company can't blame you later.)

Illustrative anecdote: Our group had a 90V lithium battery charger once that was kludge'd up by a US manufacturer for a 72V lithium pack. The shutoff device failed in about 600 kms .. which led to an unfortunate lithium pack overcharge, killed the pack, despite having a US-made BMS that was supposed to prevent overcharges.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  4. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I know, the controllers are different but the motors especially the hub motors are usually qsmotor. Qsmotor is probably the largest and by far the best in hub motorcycle manufacturer in China. I have yet to see a bike with in hub motor that doesn't use a QSmotor motor.
    EvrythingAwesom and Leolivinlife like this.
  5. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too have been looking into this company but, the 96v 40ah battery. Problem is, either one won't fit in the dimension of the lower tray. Thinking of talking to them about a custom built battery with the PO4 cells.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  6. JsKDX200

JsKDX200 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey just now checking this thread, I don't ride my bike as much anymore as my commute is only 1.5 miles now. It takes longer to take it out of the house than it does to get to work. PM me and we can ride and talk bikes and mods. I still want to lifePO4 mine. I'm in Miami as well
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  7. Leolivinlife

Leolivinlife Adventurer

Oddometer:

I believe this pack will fit the lower section of the battery tray on my bike. Hopefully it would deliver at least 30 miles of city range.. I've just never wired in something like that and am concerned as to how difficult a job like that would be.

My current usable range is about 8 miles before the top speed drops to about 33 mph. Full range before sitting voltage drops below 84v is 12 miles.

Decisions decisions decisions :hmmmmm

http://www.lifepo4.in/84v40ah-.html
  8. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:

Never had a bad experience either.
    Leolivinlife likes this.
  9. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a google search for said "hexagonal air pockets" and came up with nada.
    Care to provide a link?
    Thanks!
    Michael
  10. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    I bought it from Aliexpress most likely, under hockey or dirt bike shorts.
  11. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Shorts"? Really? SMH...

M
  12. Shocked!

Shocked! n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually made a purchase from the LiFePO4.IN site referenced above? I coincidentally encountered the site while researching and I want to make a purchase, but it is proving difficult. The website has "Buy Now" buttons that reference credit cards and Paypal but that doesn't appear to work like purchasing something in the States. I tried wiring money through Western Union but they declined to process the transaction.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  13. dbaker1

dbaker1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! It's been a while since I last updated. I haven't been using my eGrom much since I got it, so I figured I'd sell it for anyone interested. It's one of the original eGroms with a couple modifications.
    I upgraded the 12v DC to DC converter so it can run off of 96v, but I haven't installed any extra batteries. I can include a 96v charger as well as the stock 72v one.
    I also added a simple radio on the handlebars to give it more noise and play some tunes, not shown in the image. It works well and can work off of Bluetooth.
    I'm in the Central Florida area, $1000 OBO. PM me if interested.
    [​IMG]
  14. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Good info.
  15. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the chassis of your eGrom.

The steel members may have rust like ours and needing the annual paint touch-up with Liquid Tape.
  16. TheChip

TheChip n00b

Oddometer:
    Sent you a message!

Definitely looking to buy one of these E-Groms. I have two gas powered Groms at home, which I use to get me to and from work most of the time. I'd LOVE to be able to do my 16 mile round trip on electric power only.

Can you guys confirm for me...it seems there are a lot of different reports on speed potential with the 96v SLA modification. About 3 miles of my commute is on a flat road with a speed limit of 55mph, will 96v get me to 55 mph?

My short term goal would be to do the 96v SLA addition, then shortly after go with a 94v system like this, hopefully http://www.lifepo4.in/96v20ah-.html
  17. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:

These links should help answer your question:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/boom-a-grom-clone.1114727/page-36#post-30234951

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/boom-a-grom-clone.1114727/page-39#post-30361219

With high enough voltage, 55mph is achievable but the longer you sustain max speed, the shorter your max range. Your 16 mile round trip on a single charge is doable by maintaining steady speed, timing lights and averaging ~45mph. If you can top off at work.. even for an hour, that would help with range and speed on the return trip home.

All of the preceding range/speed estimates are based on avg. riding conditions. Your range and speed may vary: https://advrider.com/index.php?thre...rmine-an-electric-motorcycle’s-range.1285177/
    RCmoto likes this.
  18. TheChip

TheChip n00b

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated!

Upon further inspection that indian website does not look trustworthy enough to purchase from. So I guess I'll pass on that :(

I'm thinking three of these may be the easiest way for me to get that 55 mph top speed while being able to get to and from work with a total of about 16 miles round trip 6 of which would be WOT.

It does look like I'd need to use three individual chargers though, which isnt ideal. The total weight of this setup would be 46 lbs vs 112 pounds to have a comparable 9 battery setup with 20ah SLA.

Based on the size of the U1 SLA batteries, it looks like two of these will fit in the stock battery location, and the third may be able to fit where the gas tank goes? If not a luggage rack may be required. Looks like a really good option, unless I'm missing something!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36v20ah-32...337504&hash=item2144ef7bdf:g:fd0AAOSwPhhbYYDe
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    You’ll need high current circuit breakers, one for each battery, to disconnect out of series before charging individually. Each needs to be accessible to reset after charging.

ADFE2B24-DE8F-4F44-9954-6F33C791740F.jpeg
    ^similar to this but rated for higher voltage

I’d place the third pack in the faux gas tank. Safer location and better weight distribution.
  20. TheChip

TheChip n00b

Oddometer:
    That's good info, but just another pain in the rear step to charging. I'd have to find some way to make those three accessible easily for charging. Hmm. Lots to think about.

Are there any other worries or risks to running that kind of voltage? I havent seen anyone on here going with that much voltage before, it seems everyone stops at 96. I know I'll need a better DC converter or to add a small 12v, but other than the wiring issues I think this should be ok.

And I'm still in the market for an E-Grom or any other chinese type e-moto. I would love one of the sportbike looking models but I havent seen a good place to buy one, or buy an egrom for that matter...