BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. TheChip

TheChip n00b

Oddometer:
    Bumping the thread in case anyone out there in the Southern US is selling an E-Grom! Sale above fell through and I still want to get my hands on one!
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Those who purchased their e-Groms running on SLA within the last 2-3 years are likely due for replacement. Here’s one of several lithium drop-in replacements available:

[​IMG]

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/12v-20ah-lithium-ion-battery/

Unlike the SLA’s, these last much longer, are much lighter, charge more quickly, are more forgiving with overcharging, and have a flatter discharge curve.

E74EFF90-5EE8-4617-99E3-570286A6E711.jpeg

For those who are keeping their bikes long term, swapping in lithium is a wise investment.
    accurate, EvrythingAwesom and RCmoto like this.
  3. TheChip

TheChip n00b

Oddometer:
    At 280 dollars each, it is much cheaper to buy a pack and just skip that form factor.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  4. suntex01

suntex01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    instead of going higher voltage, you may want to consider upgrading your controller and battery. I have a 72v custom lithium ion battery on my right now. I can do about 38mph on flat road with the stock controller.
    The controller caps the output current at 64A or so. But with a fancy controller, you can get higher current output as well as higher speed with the same battery setup.
  5. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

Is their 90% lighter than SLA accurate? I thought it was only 3/4 lighter.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, their math is a little off on that one, isn’t it.
  7. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you stay at 72 V see:

https://alltraxinc.com/

They're pushing their SR line now, which I'm unfamiliar with. Go to "Legacy Products" and check out other (probably cheaper) options like the AXE series. I suspect you want to limit yourself to their PMDC controllers if you have a permanent magnet motor. Lots of ways to go all the way up to 600 Amp current limit. (And I believe they're programmable, so you can turn it down too, and give yourself some reliability headroom.)

If you bump your amps up, make sure your pack, motor and cables and contactors are up to it.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  8. johntalyn

johntalyn n00b

Oddometer:
    ***SELLING MY BLUE BOOM E-GROM FOR CHEAP IN PASADENA, CA, LESS THAN 20 MILES ON IT, BUT NO BATTERIES AND MUST BE ABLE TO DO SOME FIXES UNLESS YOU WANT IT FOR PARTS, PLEASE READ***

Hello all, this is my first post. So I've read every last word in this thread before buying my Boom E-Grom. Thanks to everyone, especially a special thanks to voltsxamps for all the great info he has posted.

OK, so a little background. I'm not as electronically savvy as some of the people on this forum, but I'm OK at doing some basic stuff, only because I've had some experience with rc cars, helis, boats, etc. From the info I gathered on this thread, the stock controller can handle up to 96v, but when I tried that the motorcycle display wouldn't even turn on and nothing would happen if I twisted the throttle. It was as if the battery wasn't even plugged in (yes, I did check to verify the breaker was in the ON position). As soon as I go down to 84 volts or 72 volts, the display turns on and the motorcycle works. So just something to keep in mind.

The next thing I want to discuss is the fact that the horn and the turn signals dont work. I shorted out the dc to dc converter, horn and turn signals. Don't hold me to this, but I beieve below are the 3 parts that need to be replaced to get the bike back to normal and their respective prices at the time of this post. Again, I am not too savvy about this stuff SO DON'T HOLD ME TO THIS. But if I'm right it's less than $50 worth of parts.

1. 1 HORN for $9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785KTZ5...olid=3QIN6S8XLHEVX&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    2. 2 Yellow Rear and 2 yellow front TURN SIGNAL BULBS (these should just be a couple bucks a piece)
    3. 1 dc to dc converter $17 https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-48V-60V...h=item46856d9854:g:0akAAOSwALtaUZzX:rk:1:pf:0

For the front headlights, I upgraded to new LED's after they burned out, but since the dc to dc converter burned out I had to bypass it and wire the led lights directly to a switch I put on the handlebars and a little 12v lipo battery and it works just fine this way.

As mentioned in the beginning, I am selling the bike because the batteries got old and I don't really have any spare room in my garage so it has to go. THE MOTOR & SPEED CONTROL WORK AND THE BIKE RUNS. If you bring a 72v or 84v battery I can show you that the motorcycle runs fine. If you don't have batteries to bring, I should be able to borrow my friends just to show that the bike runs.

Obviously, this bike is only for someone who is willing to either make it a project or already owns one and wants to buy it for parts.

I believe I mentioned everything, if I remember something else I will make another post. So if anyone serious is interested, please setup a private conversation with me and we can talk more about the details. Thanks and have a great day, -John.
  9. TorgueRPM

TorgueRPM n00b

Oddometer:
    Got mine about a month ago, a 2018 model. I've been noticing an issue where whenever I hit cracks in the pavement it sounds like the forks are topping out. I think they are missing a top out spring or has one that is too weak.
    Anyone else have this issue?
  10. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try holding the front brake and rock the bike forward and backward. Check to see if your headset is loose.
  11. tigger_bounce

tigger_bounce n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like these bikes are sold out on most sites, any suggestions?
  12. tigger_bounce

tigger_bounce n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like these bikes are sold out on most sites, any suggestions?
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    :super Watch this 53 hp electric Honda Grom motorcycle with an Alta powertrain

Micah Toll - Jun. 28th 2019 9:52 am ET

[​IMG]

How do you turn Honda’s cute little 125cc Grom motorcycle into a race bike? By dumping the engine and swapping in an electric motor and batteries, of course! Check out the aptly-named Electrobraap channel as they take an electric Honda Grom for its maiden ride.

In place of the standard 125cc Honda engine, the Grom was gifted a power train from an Alta Motors Redshift electric motorcycle. Alta was a popular California-based electric dirt bike company that tragically shuttered operations last year amid financial difficulties.

The Alta Redshift’s motor, controller and batteries had to be modified to integrate into the Honda Grom, including custom fabrication for the unique sprocket splines at the motor.

Notice the giant sprocket on the rear wheel as well, which could almost double as a run-flat! While this was just the maiden run, the team is already looking at a larger rear tire to give more room on left turns and allow the bike to scrape peg before chain.

[​IMG]

With 40+ kW of power, the team might have felt more comfortable with the chain kit on this conversion. Keep in mind that a stock Honda Grom is pushing somewhere closer to 8 hp (6 kW). That means the electric conversion increased the Grom’s power by around 600%. Not too shabby!

Check out the video of the shakedown run below.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/28/electric-honda-grom-motorcycle-alta/
  14. johnnyddn

johnnyddn n00b

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used 2017 E-Grom clone. It's in bumblebee yellow, but I was thinking about painting it white. This one is different than any of the one's I've seen in the thread so far. The vin plate says it's from Jiangsu Xinri E-Vehichle Co. LTD. This one is only 60v and has a Yuma 800W60V motor from what the writing on the motor says.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to upgrade to the LIFEPO4 listed here:
    https://www.ev-power.eu/LiFeYPO4-ba...0Ah.html?force_sid=d4pekream4flmrvc9i5b3fpse7

When I took of the plastics to get to the battery tray I found it was using these giant XUPAI 12v 32ah batteries (6-EVF-32a). Does anyone know where I can find these in the states? I seen them all over AliBaba but I haven't found them here in the US. The 32ah give a lot of range so I think instead of going with the 20ah LIFEPO4s. I would like to add another one of these batteries, if I can find them, and go 72v 32ah. The 60v motor still gets me ~35mph so I'm hoping to get that 6-7mph bump with another battery.

[​IMG]

This one also came with a color display screen. It says mph but the number still comes in KPH.

[​IMG]

Also, even though the bike is 60v the speed controller says its a 72v, but the cut off voltage is 42v. Is there a way to change that inside the unit or should I just get another controller if I go 72v?

[​IMG]
  15. Fake Blood

Fake Blood n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've been lurking in this thread for years with my grom clone. The charger died last month, and my amazon replacements aren't cutting it.

Anybody know a web source for the SLA 3-prong female charger? I'd hate to keep buying and rolling the dice when somebody here might have the answer.
  16. johnnyddn

johnnyddn n00b

Oddometer:
  17. Msynister

Msynister n00b

Oddometer:
  18. accurate

accurate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you using this battery? What range are you getting?

19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Yes, those look like suitable SLA replacements.

I’m not using this battery, so no range I can personally report, however, any direct battery swaps taking up the same space with lithium will result in significantly more range. More energy density + less weight + flatter discharge = more :-)’s
  20. daytonacat

daytonacat n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello to all and a belated Happy Thanksgiving.
    I am planning on getting a Boom this coming early spring and will be using it mainly to go to the Supermarket for a few things as well as head in to work. I only work about 5 1/2 miles one way and the sppeds are broken up with about 50% 25mph thru housing areas and then 35mph the remainder. So, to me the stock 72vdc SLA would do me fine. The things I AM planning on changins are to replace all lighting to LED's, add a tail trunk (for groceries and work cases) and a windshield is about all. I do plan on removing all the fairing bits when I get the bike and make sure everything is tight and all electrical connections are clean and tight as they should be. As for teh color I was leaning to the White one as I can paint or what ever I decide to do to it in a tasteful manner of course. I do still have my 2 rather big bikes (79 BMW R100RT and 79 Honda CBX) that I take out for weekend jaunts. By the way I am the original owner of the 2 bikes and they both have been a real treat to me. I saw a subject on changing the speedo from KPH over to MPH and calibrating it. I tried to find that but can not. can any one steer me to the subject line please? thanks in advance.
    Carl