1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the back side of the dash circuit board there is a micro phillips head adjuster. You will turn the adjuster in small increments to reduce the speed reading on the dash. Be aware, if you're planning on painting, the decals are cleared over.

Attached Files:

2. daytonacat

daytonacat n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks ever so much guy.
    question: what is the procedure for removing the body panels to get at the horn and the DC to DC controller?

Carl
  3. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will remove the two bolts on the fairing that are lowest and furthest back (both sides). You can leave the other four. I use a motorcycle wheel lift to raise the rear tire and pull the fairing down. That should give you enough access to both parts. Be careful, the plastic is very brittle.
  4. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thoughts on structure? With the upper battery holder welded in and the lower bolted in, would cutting out the upper holder effect the structure of the bike? The new batteries ordered will fit completely in the lower box so I'm debating cutting off the upper holder.

Attached Files:

5. johnnyddn

johnnyddn n00b

Oddometer:
    What kit are you guys using to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines?
  6. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I finally installed the new batteries. Went with 2 48v 40ah (claimed) lithium ran in series. As for brakes, I'm using Core Moto custom lines with cast Brembo calipers.

Attached Files:

7. johnnyddn

johnnyddn n00b

Oddometer:
    Did some cheap Ebay upgrades to my Jiangsu Xinri E-Grom clone.

Ebay Fork Sliders $3.71
    Ebay Rear Swing Arm Spools $8.56 - Works with my pit bull stand now
    Ebay Fender Eliminator $26.59 - it's a nice metal adjustable piece that looks like it was cnc'd, really cleaned up the rear end from that ugly stock plastic fender.
    Ebay LED Rear Turn Signals $6.92 - Don't recommend these, the rubber stalk is glued to the threaded bolt, so when you tighted down the turn signal, it pulls the bolt right outta the turn signal assembly. I'm gonna rock these until they fail.
    TST Flush Mount Front Turn Signals $15.99 - None of the flushmount ebay signals looked good and the TST's were only $15.99
    Ebay Universal Aluminum Cell Phone Holder $18.69 - Works great even with my phone case.
    Ebay Handlebar Mirrors $12.42 - The mirrors work great but the cheap mounting hardware sucked. The expanding sleeve and bolt that go in handbar end don't hold the mirror and it just spins in the bar. I had to fork over the money to pay for the CRG billet bar end mirror mounts that are $17.99 each.
    Ebay LED Headlight $6.39 - Highly recommend, cheap way to get brighter headlights.
    Ebay Quarter Twist Throttle $18.69 - It's just preference but I prefer the quarter twist throttle instead of the full twist grip. I feel like my hand is less fatigued on rides with the quarter twist and it's easier to hold the throttle now in a steady position.
    Alibaba Yuyang King Controller Bluetooth Adapter $22 - Useful to change the controller settings.

Removed the lower fairing and the rear fender. I'm eventually going to paint the little fairing tabs black so you don't see them. I added another 12v battery to get it up to 72v. It was topping out at 46 mph before I put it away for the winter. Now it's only doing 41-42 mph. I been planning on how I was gonna upgrade the battery. I believe I can get 10 Nissan Leaf Gen 2 cells in there. I have been looking at Greentec Auto who tests their cells and they claim to be 43-41ah. I have been told to stay away from Tech Direct because they sell cells that are labeled 70% capacity but have been testing at 50%. I would love to get 11-12 Leaf cells in there but I think I would have to cut the fake gas tank or fab up a sheet metal gas tank. Does anyone know where I could purchase another plastic e-grom gas tank?

Overall I have been really happy with the bike. I get compliments all the time on the bike and people are always rolling down their windows to ask me about it. All my friends that get a chance to ride the bike love it. The only time it has left me stranded was because the kick stand switch failed and the bike wouldn't go because it thought the kickstand was down. I just unplugged the kick stand and now it doesn't care if it's up or down. I now pack an allen wrench and screwdriver in the fake tank to take off the fairings just in case I ever get stuck again. I got it registered as a moped and don't have to pay insurance on it. There was only a one time registration fee and that's it, so it's really cheap to own/operate here in Nevada. Some of my friends want to buy one but the place in town that imported them only got a few of them back in 2017. They came in as 60v 1500watt so they would pass as mopeds. Currently, I've only seen the Boom E-groms for sale in the US and they are 72v 2000watt.

[​IMG]
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Where are you people buying those??!!!
  9. johnnyddn

johnnyddn n00b

Oddometer:
    liberpolly likes this.
  10. thismoththo

thismoththo n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got shipping confirmation from belmonte, take delivery of mine next Wednesday! Thanks to this forum I finally pulled the trigger. Will update accordingly! Btw belmonte has great customer service thus far.
    liberpolly likes this.
  11. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought an EGrom feom balemontebikes and just had a qiestion for clarification. Ive gone through several pages od this thread and just wanted to know a few things. Can I add 2 additional SLA batteries without having to upgrade any other parts to increase performance with 96v? Or do I need to upgrade charger and DC/DC converter as well?
  12. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am running 96v lithium with the stock controller, converter, and wheel. Everything works but, I've noticed the wheel and controller do run warmer than 72v. I would expect that running 96v will shorten their lifespan. If you plan on charging the pack as 96v, you will have to upgrade the charger. Unless you run saddle bags, you may have trouble fitting two more batteries.
  13. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you point me in the direction you got your lithium battery? Is it something I could install with little experience like adding 1 or 2 SLA?
  14. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the information I appreciate it immensely.

Does anyone happen to know what guage the battery wire is?
  16. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some things to consider, What is your plan for the future of this bike? The battery above is rated 100a instant with a max 50a constant. The original speed control is 20a max pull, some of the aftermarket can go well over 100a. The motor and power wires look to be about 8 gauge. Before riding the bike, check all connections especially on the SLA batterys. A loose connection could start a fire. At 30-35 mph, the chinese tires are ok, above that they want to make the bike jump off the stand. Most shops will not have seen these wheels before and don't want to or won't be able to balance them.
  17. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want to make sure the bike can keep up with traffic on the local roadways and a lot of people drive 40-45 despite the limit being 30. I dont plan to launch hard hard (well maybe a few times when In first get it >.>...) but I want to make sure I can swiftly reach and maintain 40 mph as Im 270lbs. I dont like the idea of a lot of cars passing me on a bike.
  18. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever tried programming the controller on this bike?
  19. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine from Venom, got here in 6 days.

Only put about 30 miles on it so far, but it is pretty fun! Also have a CSC city slicker on order, we will see how they compare

Attached Files:

20. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratz! Mine come in tomorrow are ypu planning on upgrading?