1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a disclaimer to everyone who has tested or currently considering purchasing one of these bikes. The speedometer is set to show a higher number than your actual speed (yes I know its in KPH, I converted KPH to MPH and conpared numbers using 3 different GPS apps just to be sure). I highly suggest using GPS app or unit to get your true speed and some of the earlier posts in this thread may need to be redone. Ill post my speeds once I get my new charger and add 2 additional batteries.

Edit: Just found out speed 1 and 3 were reversed and speed two has no function so it acts as speed 1. Read my later post for an update.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never met a moto that didn't have an "optimistic" speedometer - generally in the 5-10% region
  3. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is more like 20% and apparently every model is like this.
  4. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting some miles in since it is supposed to thunderstorm all week:
    7516E0CD-242B-4378-B2BD-22E17CACA4B2.jpeg

Also added box for grocery getting

View attachment 2328683
  5. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my bike in and Ive been riding it around the neighborhood. I found out that it does not go 40mph as advertised and it looks like the speedometer was intentionally modified so it looks like it does. Max speed is 32mph tucking and I thought it was my weight so had someone nearly 100lbs lighter than me ride it and still only 32mph. I also looked up the model for my controller and its rated for 1000w not 2000w though I know some controllers have a range of compatability. I got mine from balemontebikes.com but it was boxed from venomautosports im assuming they are sister companies. Just a heads up to anyone lookong into these be ready to add batteries to overvolt or have to upgrade at some point if you want true 40mphnor higher. I will be adding batteries to mine this week so Ill update more on what I find i wish some early posters would update on their bikes using gps speedometers.

Attached Files:

ikev85 likes this.
  6. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the tools, wires, and ends I needed to install the two additional batteries. The newer models include an oragne bar that seems to be made just fir the purpose of having 8 batteries you will see below. I upgraded the DC to DC converter as suggested and it can be tilted toward the front of the bike to fit. Also you do not need to make any cuts to make two additional batteries fit anymore as suggested in previous posts. The mat and white foam was included the only foam added the black foam. I got everything back together the Speedometer shows the proper voltage, the lights come on but Im getting no response on the throttle. Im sure nothing came unplugged I was careful. Is there a step Im missing? 20200526_162313.jpg 20200526_163151.jpg
  7. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the circuit breaker flip?
  8. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No it did not the circuit breaker nevee tripped eveeything stays on and the speedometer reads the proper voltage.
  9. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Three other connections I would check are the motor stop on the left handle bar and each lever has a connection under the reservoir to stop the motor. After that, moving the harness to install the new batteries could have loosened a connection. Have you checked all the motor and battery series connections?
  10. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im sure the batteries are connected peoperlly in series because the right voltage is being shown (if they werent it wouldnt show the correct voltage right?). Last knight I did check to see if the two wires under each handlebar was connected. I work today so I wont have a chance to take the bike apart until tonight or tomorrow but I will check the harness.
  11. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2334245 View attachment 2334243 View attachment 2334242 View attachment 2334244

So I checked the wires and every thing seems to be connected fine thenthrottle wire is secured in a connector which was connected. The last picture is the only wires I saw disconnected and connecting them did nothing also I remember them being connected to nothing to begin with. I did also reconnect the old Dc to Dc converter too and nothing. Im about to try the origonal battery config.
  12. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So with the original batteries back in series the bike works fine. Maybe the new controllers cant handle the extra voltage?
    liberpolly likes this.
  13. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know without a doubt the batteries are in series as seen in the photos I placed the batteries in the same position and connected the black lead onto one of the new batteries which is now the end of the series and the red lead on the other new battery being the positive end of the series. Where the black lead was on I placed a cord to go from there to the positive on the new battery. Where the red lead was I placed a new wire to go to the negative of the new battery. All lights, signals, horn etc work but throttle has no reaponse. The speedometer shows 7-8 mph as if the bike is in motion, also I dont know if this matters but reverse is plugged into something but as far as I can tell this bike has no reverse function.
  14. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I think the Boom e-Vader is more comfortable than the CSC city slicker. The seat padding is thicker and i feel like it’s shaped properly so my legs and knees hug the ‘fuel tank’ solidly. The front and back foot pegs can click up out of the way whereas the CSC’s are spring loaded in front.

The body panels are thinner but most other things feel comparable. I wonder how it’d be with an upgraded motor and some lithium batteries? I ended up buying another CS so I’ll be selling this as soon as the BMV’s open up to get the title sorted.

Attached Files:

15. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity did your egrom go more than 30mph? Mine goes no higher than 30 even with a small rider and I verified speed with gps. Also whats the top speed on your City Slicker?
  16. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The speedo seems to top out at “59mph” which I think it’s actually 59kph which is actually 37mph, riding the CS side by side it’s reading 35mph so, fairly accurate.

top speed on the CS is ~50mph
  17. Rookie Fun Rider

Rookie Fun Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I'm a new member but been following with this site for awhile. I bought my egrom clone about 5 months ago and I bought my 2 SLA batteries... hoping to increase the power and range after I read those posts of you guys. I have zero experience with this type of stuff. I installed my first battery and turned it on with my key, it has indicated fine with 91v ( I thought it supposed to be 84v) indicated on the dash, but when I tried to test ride it, it has no response and no matter what I tried with different mode, on off the circuit breaker and power kill switch, throttle etc...did I do something wrong or did I missed something...

Just tried to reconnect back to 72V, it works again. Is that a converter issue?

BTW, I bought this bike from Venom Motor Sports online.

Need help please, thanks!!!
  18. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good news! After several days of diagnostics and looking for help I have found out for myself what the issue was. It is without a doubt the controller, it now includes overvolt protection on the newer models so simply adding a battery or so is not enough. You MUST upgrade the controller (recommend aliexpress app get the same company YuyangKing for easy swap) and the DC to DC converter (can be found on amazon) if you do not upgrade the converter you can have other problems so either follow the bypass guide in earlier posts (I believe pages 18-35 has the most info) or upgrade it as well.

Other things that were wrong or different than other/older models Ive found along the way are as follows:

1. The 3 Speed wire is actually a two speed and 1st and 3rd speed is reversed. Speed 1 is the highest and Speed 3 is the lowest, Speed 2 is the same as 1 and the Speed 2 wire is missing.

2. There is a cord plugged into reverse but the bike does not have a reverse function. I believe what this cord actually does is cut the engine if you use either brake (front or rear). I personally unplugged this and that is the only change I noticed as I can now spin the tire while holding the brake.

3. The negative/ground wire from my motor was cut and spliced back together which I believe may be causing a small issue due to increased resistance. I believe this may be slowing the bike down slightly though I cant say for certain as all my ridding previously was done on speed 3 which I thought was the highest speed.

4. There is a 40a fuse I was suspicious of as the old controller was rated for 50a but its customized not to give full power and the blietooth adapter functionality removed. The fuse is on one of the wires in the series of batteries before the positive connecter that goes into the controller.

EDIT: I forgot to mention other controllers have a slightly different wiring configuration. High Brake and Throttle wires are originally combined into one connector and on other controllers like my new one high brake has its own connector and throttle wires are seperate in their own connecter. You will have to cut the connectors on both the old and new conmectors to move the old connector ehoch has High Brake and Throttle Wires together as one. If you are not comfortable with this find yourself a different controller than the one below or you will have to change the brakes and throttle too.

Controller I used from a trustworthy good seller:

#Aliexpress US $220.00 | FREE SHIPPING YUYANG KING App Programmable YKZ12080 BLDC Ebike Controller 96V 120V 80A 3KW with bluetooth for sale
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSKR8Uk

I think the controller has had other positive effects but I have a tropical storm where Im at so Ill make another post at a later date.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Why do you need the DC to DC converter, and which one?
  20. Reap

Reap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will not be able to charge the additional batteries unless you want to take the bike apart to charge every additional battery individually. Which one you need ia determined by how many batteries your adding. Get a 96v for two batteries or up to 120v for 4 batteries (not suggested). I highly suggest youb read the old posts. This is all new to me as well my knowledge of electronics doesnt often test my knowlwdge of ac/dc circuits. I will say however you will need to remove the fuse you may see on one of the wires in the series I confirmed this last knight when my motorcycle cut off lol. Look at my old posts for a picture it looks like an orange rectangle.