1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOM! a Grom Clone

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by brian72, Jan 2, 2016.

1. BobDz

BobDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With all those cells, what will be your end voltage? I wanted to get a controller that was more than I needed. I was lucky that it fit. With work being slow, I was able to weld on the mounting brackets and paint them. Hopefully the wiring will go easy.
  2. roadpupp

roadpupp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BOB-
    Should be 83-84v . Each cell measures 7.6v. I have a Lithium battery charger made for 72v lithiums. I am planning to use that to slightly under charge the pack of 11. It would be perfect for 10 cells but I figure since I have it, the extra cell will give me more range and by not topping off the pack (for now) I should be ok until I get a BMS installed.

Open to any suggestions about how to charge a nominal 83 V pack of Lithiums!!
  3. Gfranqui

Gfranqui n00b

Oddometer:
    Noob here. I want to thank all you who have contributed to the site and to this topic. Recently upgraded from a Lectric xp electric bike to the BD 578z to commute to work about 9miles each way and contribute to the environment. I Bought it from safer wholesale. Remarkably positive experience although they lack product knowledge, that's why I'm here. The motor is a QS Motor 72v1980W2020070060, 72V 50a controller, dc rated for 60 and 72v. Does 20-25mph on the first setting, 28-30mph on the second setting and tops around 37-38mph on the third setting. Here comes the question. Can I over volt to 84v without upgrading anything? Could I use the same charger since it says 88v on the screen? I know this topic has been discussed a couple of pages back but wanted to know if someone had done it recently. Thank you kindly for your patience.
  4. roadpupp

roadpupp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Franqui-

I don't get 40MPH on my Grom Clone. I had the same motor and set up (stock from Belmonte bikes). I was planning to add two 12V batteries to my set up but before I did, I ripped it all apart. I heard anectdotally that the new controller may not work at 96v. A few newer purchases said it just wouldn't go with an overvolt.
    That said, there are many controllers out there more powerful than the stock one.
    I would try it but then again you may "let the magic smoke out" and fry the controller.
  5. Gfranqui

Gfranqui n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for responding so quickly. Coming from an ebike is an improvement and is fairly quick for my commute. I may just leave it stock and replace the batteries higher ah SLA batteries or 72v lithium when the time comes. I haven't been able to register it yet I'm waiting for the certificate of origin to go to the DMV. How many miles were you getting from a full charge. Good luck with your build