Boot Comparison

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by trinculo, Oct 28, 2002.

1. trinculo

trinculo Dude

Oddometer:
    I would love some feedback from users of the

Sidi Discovery
    Sidi Quatro
    Daytona Trans Open GTX

and other similar boots.
    Particularly form anyone who has used the Discovery's AND the dtogtx.

For use on long touring pavement and dirt.
  2. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tri..

You might want to try the seach engine here..Everyone of those boots have been talked about in lenght..

Good luck

Joc
  3. trinculo

trinculo Dude

Oddometer:
    I've read everything with "boots" in it here. I was really hoping someone could compare the discoveries to the daytonas. Some reports of the discoveries are good, but some said they weren't waterproof (flognobber I think)
  4. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can go wrong with either Sidi or Daytona. I have the Daytona Trans Open GTX, and you won't find any finer boot, anywhere. They are so comfortable, that I would think about more protection (or less comfort). The DTOgtx are a comfort boot, so maybe look to the ugle MX boots for more protection.

Patrick
  5. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Trans Open tour, road not dirt. Extremely comfortable, good protection all around. Not sure if the sole would work for off-road (or off-pavement, Lauren.) Most other boots don't seem to have the same level of protection. Pricey, but I'm glad I have them. That help?
  6. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I have the Sidi Discovery boots and I love 'em. I also have a pair of BMW Kalaharis which I like also. I have NEVER had the Sidi's leak on me. Even in torrential rain and stream crossings my feet have kept dry. I use and athletic insole in the Sidi to give them a bit more cushion which they lack.
    I have had the Kalaharis leak on me in a torrential downpour that lasted five hours in Ocala. The boots were brand new and handn't been oiled at all.
    Even though the Goretex boots require no oiling I still seal the gap between the sole and the upper with Snoseal. They haven't leaked since.
    I try to use the Sidis when I know I'll be riding hard off road. The armor and stiff sole are unbeatable. They are definately more robust than any DS boot I've seen.
    I wear the BMW boots for longer road days and when I know walking will be involved because it has a more flexible sole like the Daytonas.
    Re: Failures
    I have never seen a Sidi Discovery fail in any way.
    I know the older BMW Kalahari buckles fail and can be replaced(although not in the field).
    And I have seen two Daytona boots fail..one with a broken zipper and one with a folded back sole which exposed the riders foot...not good.
    However, like someone else said earlier, At this level of boot quality it is hard to go wrong.
    Just my $.02.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

Here's pic of what I sometimes do in my Sidis. I didn't get wet until water came in over the boots!
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Trying to catch fish with your hands?
  8. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Nah, the salmon and steelies grow big here in Oregon...we like to dive in face first and wedge their bodies in the helmet opening. You can kinda grab 'em with your teeth at the same time...grizzzly style...

Actually, I was trying to determine my probability of seriously submerging my GS BEFORE the fact.... I opted for the bridge!
  9. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently picked up the Daytona Trans Open GTX boots and they are the most comfortable boots I've had. They're very sturdy and great for all day riding and dirt riding if you're not MXing.
  10. bunkie

bunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Daytonas GTX are the bomb...I ride around in nasty wet cold weather in Europe...and my feet are always dry. The finish is very good.:dj
  11. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I got a pair too and love them.

They are not the warmest boot out there. My Danner boots I wore last year were much warmer. Need to do something to keep my feet warm.
  12. Jim Kelleher

Jim Kelleher Circus Bear

Oddometer:
    Looking to replace my 13 y/o Sidi "Miami Boots". Ride 95% pavement and am looking for a 3/4 boot that has ankle and heel protection that would fit my 13 1/2-14 W gunboats. ANY and all suggestions will be appreciated!

T.H.E. Circus Bear
  13. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Who makes good boots for big feet? I wear size 15 Red Wings, they're just adequate. I would prefer something with a thinner sole and specific moto protections.

Does Sidi do custom work?
  14. AndrewH

AndrewH Hare its whats for dinner

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing Gaerne Explorers for about seven years now. I picked them up in Durango during the BMW national rally in '95.
    They've never been even close to waterproof. Step in a creek and the feet are wet, 2 hour rain and the feet are wet. They were great for Texas where any other boot would have been much hotter. But, they are fantastically comfortable, comparable to Birkenstock sandles! The sole front has finally started to delaminate and I believe Gaerne has updated these boots since I purchased mine. These boots provide enough protection for road riding and light off road/adventure touring. They do however, lack support, stability, padding, and armor for the rough stuff.

Would I buy them again? No, unless Gaerne has added more protection and waterproofing in the latest models.

-Andrew
  15. Stringsmith

Stringsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the Sidi on road Sympatex boots. I ride off road as well...now, to a certain degree. My feet have always been warm and dry (water proof). The boots are not as durable as the motocross styles but, I can walk in them all day if the need is so and they do not cause blisters. Nice fit!
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Does Alpinestars still make the Tech Road 540 GTX? I love mine, comfortable and absolutely waterproof!