Boots for RTW - Help me decide

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by JakobDK, Mar 11, 2019.

1. JER_OME

JER_OME Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before seeing this thread I purchased the forma adventure boots and I went on a light offroad camping trip with them this weekend. Amazingly comfortable, love the buckles on them(easy to hook, hold the "measurements" of the ticks, and seem to be very well made. I could see these lasting for many years, and will be my go to long trip/offroad boot from here on out. Only thing is they are not heavily armored, compared to some cheap street boots i have. Totally understandable, different uses. For it's uses, I highly recommend the Forma Adventure in my short sample(though I don't see it changing for the worse). They really are comfortable enough to hike in. Super waterproof, nothing bad really thus far. Safe travels!
  2. Old Hanker

Old Hanker n00b

Oddometer:
    I believe the Forma Terra Evo boot is a step up in protection, over the Forma Adventure boot yet still offering a great deal o comfort
  3. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Revit Pioneer (or the taller Discovery) boots are worth considering. I have a pair of Pioneers, wore them for about a month pretty much non-stop (including an off that twisted my foot up. While I could hike a few miles in the Pioneers, I take the same approach as @The Cone of Silence and pack trail runners (Merrell Trail Access) and flip flops. I actually really like the Trail Access for hiking and they pack pretty flat.
  4. Phaedrus68

Phaedrus68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No brainer for me...

Protection trumps comfort and dry feet.

I use two different entry-level motocross boots - Acerbis X-Team and Gaerne GX-1 Evo. Both comfy enough to spend all day walking. Yes - all day. I spend 3-4 days a week on my feet for up to 6 hours or more, in between riding for the rest of my work day.

I used the GX-1s on a 3-week trip around Spain, Portugal and France, including some light off-road stuff, dropping my 1150GS a few times, a couple of times on my leg. No negative issues at all other than hot feet, which I suspect would happen with any boot.
  5. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Toucans, they are very comfortable for walking around town and brief hikes, etc., although I would not want to wear them out to the bars or on any kind of longer hike.

For those, you can bring a pair of Blundstone (or similar) boots. They are great for everyday use and moderately-serious hiking, and pack relatively easily.
  6. sheepskin_sam

sheepskin_sam n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is a bit of necro-thread here but for what it's worth I made the mistake of buying forma adventure boots for a week long adventure trip doing some gravel in TN and several days of the TAT. I found out the hard way that although I loved everything about these boots up until this point, when I needed them they weren't up for the challenge. Unfortunately it took me a broken fibula to learn my lesson - please don't make the same mistake I did! I'm switching to motocross once I'm healed up and won't risk losing out on so much good riding again! :(
  7. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to belittle your experience, but there are plenty of broken bones reported while wearing motocross boots also. My take on things is that boots help most with crushing force and dragging trauma. No boot is going to do much when it comes to twisting forces, other than transfer where on the leg the fracture happens. One huge advantage of motocross boots is that they do more to prevent crushing trauma to the foot and ankle, and those injuries take a long time to heal properly.
  8. sheepskin_sam

sheepskin_sam n00b

Oddometer:
    No offense taken Cro59. I expect folks to second-guess my conclusion since I know the debate often is that a particular injury wouldn't have been avoided with ANY boot. In fact, I justified my choice of boot around the proposition that a stiffer boot might actually transfer the impact to my leg - breaking that instead of the ankle. However, in my case the fracture WAS a crush - not a twist so I'm still convinced that a stiffer boot might have saved my ankle.
    Cro59 likes this.
  9. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not a pair of Fusport Simpson boots? They’re an Australian company? ‍♂️
  10. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No reason really, I'd seen a friend's Forma Adventure boots on a Postie Bike trip through the Pilbara in 2016 and figured I'd give them a go. Had them ever since and wasn't aware there was a similar boot from an Aussie mob.
  11. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They look like a Forma. Probably built in the same factory. Would be like Proton. Use Mitsubishi engineering until you have enough money to go your own way.
  12. hunzee

hunzee Community Elder

Oddometer:
    I wear Sidi motocross boots when I'm riding and carry a pair of flat sandals for leisure. I leave the hiking for the young' ones.