Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do you want a MX boot if you mostly ride on pavement? Get a road race boot if you want maximum protection for your feet without the the bulk and clunkiness of an MX boot.
  2. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    Any MX boot in the <$150 range will fill the bill - Fox, O'Neil, etc.
  3. John2453

Oddometer:
    Because nothing protects your feet, ankles, and calf like an MX boot. True, my 5+ year old Thor's were clunky. My Alpinstars Tech 5s are not.
  4. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Moose Racing M2.1 ADV sole is what I wear. Recommended by a few here & Brian at Atomic Moto
  5. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you how many times I went back and forth on Sidi Adventure vs Sidi CrossFire TA for my adventure boot. I went with the TA's because when you put them on, you really understand how flimsy so called adventure boots really are. Better to overprotect and not need it than under protect and wish I had it. Buy once, cry once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    econwatch likes this.
  6. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    I've had the similar line of thought except wondering about heavy dual sports ie bmw gs1200 vs 250 wr's and the like.
    No doubt one needs to up the protection ante when riding heavier bikes that can do a lot more damage when they fall on you (when offroad).
  7. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    I had a low speed low side on my '13 Super Tenere. My own fault. Wearing TCX Infinity boots. Right foot was trapped between the bike and the road with the result that the ankle buckle backing plate chipped a bone in my ankle. Damned sore I can tell you. Look at the position of the buckles on any boot you are considering in respect the knobbly bones on your ankle.

I tossed the Infinitys which in a way is a shame as they were comfortable to ride and walk in and completely waterproof.
  8. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    This... I have the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex and Sidi Crossfires. I like the Adventures VERY much, great street boot, but not even close to the Crossfires in protection.
    shadowchrome and Barakaiki like this.
  9. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    I've been in accident recently and now get around on crutches while waiting for my surgically repaired ankle to heal. I actually put the event up on face plant, though is it a face plant if I didn't go down?
    Probably not.
    Anyhow, I worse Sidi light ankle high boots, they did have an ankle plate but not much of one. Very stylish, though. I also have crossfire sds2 for my dirt riding fun. Clearly nowadays I have lots of time to think about which boots to wear going forward etc., and I can tell you, I'm not wearing crossfire for my day to day street riding to the grocery store. Nah.
    What I will do, however, is buying a stronger, not quite MX, boots and wear them more. Gaerne fit wonderfully. Road racing boots are serious protection and I may go that route as well but for now I do like these mid strength off road boots.
    I think pure MX boots are very protective, but the way I feel right now, I'd rather weld some steel foot protectors to frame than get around on those full time on street. I'm not putting my knee braces on either to go around the block, but they are very protective.
  10. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy that I work with lost his foot from a left turner. 2 miles from home.
    He was wearing leather steel toe work boots.
    Good boots protect from a lot, but the forces involved in a T-bone type collision are probably going to crush whatever you have on.
  11. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Gaerne GX-1 boots that seem pretty solid.
  12. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have learned that often times, something has got to give. If not the boot then it could be the knee.
    Uke likes this.
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I used to wear tech 10's for street riding but the boots were not well suited for street shifting or walking. I switched out to SMX Plus and are so much more confident in shifter/brake feel and am able to walk around in them easier.

While the tech 10's add additional shin coverage, they took away from comfort and tactile feel, so I think the trade off in a dedicated street boot is worth it. 3 months ago, I low sided in my SMX pluses without injury, giving me the confidence that should there be another off, these boots will provide the proper protection.

Another thing to consider is that if a pair of boots are too uncomfortable to wear on a regular basis, one tends not to wear them at all.
  14. Capri142

Capri142 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some years ago I used to commute to and from school just wearing tennis shoes. I was riding a BSA 250, not a very big bike. We went down at a stop light (too much front brake). Anyway, laying there on the pavement, the bike on my leg, I pulled it out only to have my foot pull out of the tennis shoe and the hot exhaust fall onto the side of my foot and ankle....sizzzle! I still have the scars 20 some years later. You can bet I went out and bought good riding boots before I got on a bike again. I have been wearing Chippewa Rally boots for the last several years. IMO the best touring MC boots you can buy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D134PI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Zekester likes this.
  15. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear Daytona Trans open GTX. Cost a fortune but a good compromise for both pavement and dirt. Terrific feel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  16. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Having a beer

Oddometer:
    I have Dianese Lince boots I wear when going for a ride. When commuting, I wear Danner backpacking boots. Both are GoreTex boots. I don't think either will really prevent a crush, but neither is going to come off my foot and they will protect from road rash and such.
    I used to commute with lowtop rugged shoes, but quit doing that. I got worried about shoes flying off if I go down and leaving foot skin all over the road.
  17. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My exact thoughts, saved me the texting. Night and day difference between my old Sidi Adv. boots and my Crossfires.
    pax maac likes this.
  18. John2453

Oddometer:
    It's your ankles that also need protection. Hiking boots don't offer enough support. I get it though: It's all a trade off. Hiking boots beat running shoes or flip flops any day.
  19. John2453

Oddometer:
    I ride an adventure bike. So, MX boots work. If I rode a street bike, I'd wear a street boot, too.
  20. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying that everything will always be under your control, but I suspect that a lot of the something giving in has to do with the fact that people have a tendency to stack their long bones and joints in a way that they just crumple when they have to absorb some (relatively) large amount of force. It's not like something can't just be too much, but there are definitely ways that you want to hit things and ways that you never, ever want to hit things.