Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have worn several brands of boots. By far the most protective road boot anywhere are the Daytona security boot they are expensive but unbelievably strong. A carbon fiber inner bootie with hinge. I also wore my Alpinestars Tech 2 boots on my Super Ten. I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo rains and a pair of Sidi street burners same as the vertigo from the ankle down. I have never ridden in shit boots or shoes. Back when I was still in high school I witnessed a motorcycle crash. After the dust cleared I saw his shoe in the middle of the road with his foot still in it. I never forgot that
    Uke likes this.
  2. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uke and John2453 like this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uke, twinrider, Rakthi and 2 others like this.
  4. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crossfires saved my heel. I had a sub 10 mph single-track get-off last Sunday. Front wheel washed to right, I put left foot down coming off, have no idea what my heel hit but suspect back underside of the swingarm or more likely the rear of the sub-frame where there's rack mounts and a helmet lock. Fortunately this boot has a heavy rib across the heel and I think mine would be broken from point impact were it not there.
    IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
  5. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer:
    Wow! That is a nasty looking bruise. I'm glad it worked out for you with no more serious injuries.

And I'm thinking my street oriented Kili Hi's would be next to useless in the scenario you just experienced. :eek7
  6. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was way worse yesterday morning, red and purple blood pooling around both sides. I was immediate with heavy dosing of ibuprofen and DMSO. Don't tell my wife.

7. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or your Achilles tendon. World of hurt.
  8. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Unreal. Everybody should watch this video. Just an everyday looking ride, that could have turned lethal. I think most medics would say that they should have left the stick "in" and stabilize (I'm no expert), but that didn't seem possible, given the conditions.
  9. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm a married man and understand perfectly! But I'll observe that our conversation has been overheard by ... oh, our 35,000 or so very best internet friends. My lips are sealed but I can't speak for the rest of them... :lol3
    NorthPole likes this.
  10. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just crashed my bike on a relative straight and smooth 2-track forest-trail. As i flew over the handlebars i smacked my left foot hard onto the handlebars. Here 3 days after my foot still hurts. I was wearing my TCX riding sneakers. I put them in the closet and ordered a pair of Alpinestars Tech 7s the day after the crash.
  11. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sidi Crossfire's and experienced a Maissoneuve fracture when the bike landed on my foot.
    Without these it would have crushed my ankle instead of just displacing it.
    Feel naked when riding without them now. The 'right' boots matter.

[​IMG]
    Don Flamenco likes this.
  12. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    $109 shipped ebay item number:

MSR Dual Sport MX Boots. Ive only worn them out riding about 8 times, and love them. More flimsy than my Alpinestars Tech 6's (which I hate because it's like having a cast on each foot with a shit designed slippery sole, and removing the buckles is so tough it'll give you a hernia).

The best gear is that which you actually use.

I tried for years to like the Alpinestars, but the experience has been poor. I'll give them two more years to try to get them to have me not hating them every time I wear them, but the MSR boots have been a dream at 1/3 the price.

s-l500.jpg 372003772480.jpg
    twinrider, Spicciani2 and neanderthal like this.
  13. Pohaku Rider

Pohaku Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got used up Boots?

scan.jpg
    twinrider and moilami like this.
  14. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm posting to register my disappointment that this thread is not, in fact, titled "Boobs Matter", which is what I thought when I clicked on it. Boots? Never would have clicked.

Carry on.
  15. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I second that notion.

35d0ef8c00e31fdb2e67ce80e0e353c9--biker-girl-biker-chick.jpg
  16. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Having a beer

Oddometer:
  17. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    No but they are better than what most riders wear. I saw a cute almost naked girl on the back of a bike today. I don't think I could ride like that anymore. I hate the back seat.
  19. Karson

Karson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was standing up on my WR250R on some forest service roads in South Dakota two weeks ago Wednesday (riding the DAKAL). Front wheel washed out on my on a "easy going" left hander and sent me flying. My left foot got trapped under the bike hyperextending it to the point where I couldn't move it for a solid 5 minutes before even attempting to get back on the bike. Left arm tucked into my ribs, at least bruising/cracking a couple ribs under my left nipple. We were hours from help. First time in my life I was genuinely concerned about my well being as I was gasping for air.

Sidi Crossfire 2 TA's and Klim Badlands Pro. Bike is fine.

21768770_850311188509_4987496654377861135_o.jpg 21950034_850311228429_6893297245779131114_o.jpg
  20. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Boobs matter!