Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Does anyone have the forma terras? Any opinions to their level of protection off road?
  2. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't ride off road unless Forest Service roads are off road. I have both the Forma Terras and the Gaerne Oil Balance. Neither is a motocross boot, technically they are trials boots.

But any boot is better than no boot at all. I got the Formas because they are supposed to be waterproof and the Gaernes are at best water resistant. I did apply some silicone water repellant to the Formas this last week.

I may be kidding myself, but I feel in the spirit of this thread the best thing I do for my ankles and feet is ride a Boxer Beemer, those cylinders and heads can make a pretty good barrier when the feet are behind them.
    deadflagblues, Ridercam and Rockred like this.
  3. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dragging this thread back to the top as a reminder that “Adventure” boots are NOT crash protection. I washed out the front end on the WABDR on Sunday and dropped it on my left leg at fairly low speed. I was wearing my Gaerne Adventure boots (not my MX boots) and snapped my ankle and tore the ligament on the other side. If you’re going to be riding off road, wear proper boots with decent, solid, ankle support. I choose comfort over protection and have 6 weeks in a cast and who knows what else down the road.

[​IMG]

No one to blame but myself and a moment of inattention looking down at my GPS. I would however disagree with the suggestion that any boot is better than no boot at all. If you're wearing a boot that you think offers you protection, because it has an embossed patch of leather on the ankle or a couple of high tech looking buckles, you're lulling yourself into a false sense of security that might just hurt you down the trail. As with everything YRMV...
    cyberdos and Brtp4 like this.
  4. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Gaerne GX-1 boots that I'm convinced saved me from a crushed ankle. I cringe a little bit whenever I see people wearing casual wandering-around types of footwear on a motorcycle.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    As I read this, I’m lying in bed, recovering from torn ligaments in my left foot. I own two pairs of boots.. a hightop style with a steel shank/counter (Faster Vented) and a full length road boot with multilink ankle support (SMX Plus). Guess which one I was wearing?

Last year I went down at 4x the speed wearing the latter with no foot injuries whatsoever. I agree with KayDubbya: the type of boots matter.
    Shadowed_Stranger and KayDubbya like this.
  6. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had I been wearing anything less than mid shin adventure boots when a lady in a Buick pulled out in front of me, I would have shattered both bones in my left leg almost definitely. I had my Gaerne adventure boots on and still took a good hit. The photo is 2 days after.

Attached Files:

Uke likes this.
  7. moxford

moxford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every time I think about buying new boots I think of this thread and it kills my desire to downgrade my protection.

Guess I will stick to my Forma Predator 2 beheamoths. They're surprisingly comfortable and walkable, just a bit clunky.

-mox
    Brtp4 likes this.
  8. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Several hundred dollars to not have your bones be shattered/crushed in an accident is so worth it...My two cents anyway.
    voltsxamps, redneckK20 and KayDubbya like this.
  9. gjohns

gjohns n00b

Oddometer:
    New member responding to an old post: I have had the exact same thing happen to me many years ago. Cager drove into the side of my GSXR when I was DIRECTLY in front of them. They waited just long enough that they hit my left muffler right below my wife's foot and behind mine.
  10. saltspray

saltspray Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a dumb kid I often rode around in tennis shoes. Got T boned and crushed ankle and foot. Come to learn it never healed and just had surgery to fuse the heal to ankle and remove a bunch of 20 year old fragments and bone spurs.

As I lay here recovering for the second time, I’m glad I found this thread. I only street ride these days but I’m leaning towards an MX boot for protection.
  11. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed my boots literally five minutes before leaving for a KTM Rallye in 2016.
    I took my Sidi Adv boots off and put on my brand new Gaerne Moto X boots on.
    I was not that keen to wear the new boots as I hadn't really had time to wear them in. The previous weekend I'd posted here about trying them out on a short ride...
    [​IMG]

So I did change into them, and two days later, this landed on my foot :
    [​IMG]

Causing this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm only just getting back to walking two years later and I cannot imagine what the result would have been with Adv Boots on.
    cyberdos likes this.
  12. Chibiabos

Oddometer:

WDG and Brtp4 like this.
  13. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. I have basically made the same video, saying the same message, in 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017.

Practically not a day goes by, where I do not have to remind someone to think of the design FIRST, then the comfort. What I mean by this, is that people shop for motorcycle boots the way they have shopped for shoes their entire lives; they buy what is most comfortable. This priority takes the customers focus off the design of the boot. How much protection, what height, where are the protection zones, etc. The industry is all too happy to perpetuate a focus on comfort, because it is the shortest path to a sale, and it asks less of the customer. And this approach is widespread, nearly every conversation on boots will have some uninformed but well-intentioned person say "you just need to try on boots and find the ones that are most comfortable."

NO.

OF COURSE comfort matters, must be factored in, they need to feel good, etc. BUT that is not the primary reason to buy motorcycle boots. The primary reason is to prevent injury. Any time the opportunity arises, riders need to be reminded of this. It is only a subtle shift in mindset, to pick boots for design first, and then comfort. It is only a subtle sacrifice in comfort and convenience to stretch for a little more protection, to choose "as much boot as you are willing to tolerate". But, it has such a large and clear reward.

Go on any forum and ask for boot advice for aggressive adventure or dual sport riding. The responses will contain at least several, often mostly, suggestions for shorty boots, riding shoes, soft boots, hiking boots, those Australian pull on things, etc. All those suggestions will come from a place of good intentions, but will have limited grasp of construction, and will be based on their primary criteria of comfort.

To the gentleman here going by OSCAR, I wish you well, and thank you for your reasoned post. You're 100% correct, as bad as that is, it gets much, much, much worse when you have an incident wearing soft boots.

My take is that soft boots and ADV boots have specific uses: riding on surfaces from asphalt to maintained gravel roads at most severe; or for anything more technical than that, riders that are 100% front-of-mind aware that they are running an elevated risk / reward calculation.

In reality, many models that have significant protection, are actually really comfortable. If you pick the right boot, often you are pleasantly surprised at how good a boot with plastic reinforcement feels, walks, etc.

BP
    WDG, mminob and voltsxamps like this.
  14. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Funny, I did just that last week. Chose my broken in oxtar infinitys over the new sidi adventure 2 boots.....6 weeks in a cast for me too. (5 more)....boring as HELL!...fall color rides passing me by. my favorite time of year to ride. 20180923_171448.jpg
  15. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The real fun starts once the cast comes off. Every week in the cast is a week of painful recovery, so I'm told.
  16. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Awesome...something to look forward to. :lol3
    KayDubbya likes this.
  17. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley Davidson Official product , the Vardon riding sneaker:
    https://www.harley-davidsonfootwear...lor=D96175#cgid=men-footwear-sneakers&start=1

"Street right & road ready. The Vardon is a men's riding sneaker that is ready to hit the streets. With waterproof full grain leather, a breathable Hydro-Guard waterproof lining, and a lightweight rubber outsole, this boot will keep you comfortable on and off the bike."
    • Waterproof full grain leather upper
    • Breathable Hydro Guard waterproof membrane lining
    • Shaft Height: 6.5"
    • Heel Height: 1"
    • Outsole: Lightweight rubber
    • Construction: Cement
    • US Sizes: M 7-12, 13 Ankle Padding

I've tried to talk my Harley riding bud in to lighting fire to a new fashion trend, Bermuda shorts with Crossfires but he's not interested. "If they were any good then Harley would slap a label on them for sure"
    9Realms likes this.
  18. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had something similar to the faster vented and crashed at a whopping 15mph and managed to crush both feet to the point where I had over 30 bones broken. Every metatarsal and at least one knuckle in every toe fracture or crushed, both cuboid partially crushed, lisfrank dislocation in left foot (torn tendon) had to get surgery to put in artificial tendon. 6 months in a wheelchair and then another month riding motorcycles on crutches... The doctor wasn't happy when when I told him to give me a handicap sticker for the bike lol. Do yourself a favor and try to crush or Bend your boots by hand and if you can do that imagine what happens when your foot is between the bike and an obstacle (road, bumper, signpost, etc). Even after a few years the boots get broken in to the point where I'd consider them broken. Reasonably young stiff reinforced boots for me only.
    voltsxamps, CaptCapsize and Oscar like this.
  19. zeerx

zeerx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I started riding in 1968 I’ve had 3 get off crashes. Two were a smack from the right side. In both instances I had just enough time to recognize what was happening and lift my foot high off the peg preventing foot/leg injury. If I had locked the brakes I would have got hit anyway. I wear over the ankle hiking boots. The last was a rear ender. I was roughed up in all of them but back riding after repairs to me and the bike.
  20. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old thread, but for sake of discussion:

I know my Sidi Adv boots have saved my foot in one or two incidents that slimmer moto boots would not have. One was just hitting an unexpected pile of sand while looking in my mirror. I was pinned under my bike with most of the weight on the boot. I was not going anywhere. I came out perfectly okay, and my foot suffered no injury.

Having said that, of course an MX boot offer maximum protection - full stop.

Ultimately, if i'm doing hundreds of miles a day with some dirt and some traffic-heavy pavement, i do not want distractions, such as foot discomfort. If i am distracted because i am uncomfortable i am increasing my chances a collision in traffic. If i collide with another vehicle, even if slightly because of uncomfortable footwear, then the boot did not service its purpose. "my boots protected me in the crash" ---- "you may not have crashed if you had more comfortable boots"

I think MX riders really are SO focused on the race that discomfort is not really a thought. If i am cruising at 70 down the interstate maintaining focus becomes a challenge. Like skiing, my feet KILL after a long day skiing, but as far as i know, that is the standard.

MX boots are great for adv riders who trailer their bike to the destination, ride a bit of pavement to get to some dirt.

I have the same thoughts on body armor.
    davenowherejones likes this.