Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Boot matter :
    I never get on the bike without proper foot protection. When I was a stupid kid, I bought a Honda 350 on Sunday, Monday in the ER. Crushed all 3 cuneiform bones and 4 out of 5 metatarsals including compound fractures in 3 places. I didn't know about counter steering, or that penny loafers were not good foot protection. Spent a month in the hospital, a few steel pins, 3 operations and 2 years on an off crutches. My doctor told me if I break it again I will probably lose the foot.

After recovery I rode a little but would freeze up when anything started going wrong. Not enough functioning brain cells to ride at 15 years old. So I took up snow skiing, sailing, and windsurfing instead. My Dr actually gave me a prescription for ski bindings ... Look Nevadas.

Now 40 + years later, after the MSF class, I started riding again as a geezer. Now motocross boots for off road, and a least adventure boot (Formas) on the street. I keep a pair of regular shoes at work when I commute.
    scarysharkface and Brtp4 like this.
  2. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    5 months! I'm barely making it through 2! That is a harrowing experience, and a good example of the fact that ya just never know. I hope you're able to recover fully and get back out there, and I'm right there with you on minimizing the possibility of this ever happening again. I feel like a fool for taking my feet for granted, and after being without one for a couple months, I'm going to protect them like I protect my head.
    scarysharkface, Adjustor and MTBRALPH like this.
  3. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Miguel Silvestre is a proponent of US Mil spec (style) desert boots in lieu of full on motocross boots. For the RTW stuff he’s doing, I’m not convinced he’s wrong.

4. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    leave it to the Italian peddlers of stylish junk to print “shoe” on the sides of their boot and have everyone lap it up because it sounds so cool. Not saying these boots are junk, but I would look twice at any boot with SHOE emblazoned on it. :lol3
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I know shit happens but some people just need to learn how to ride.

And others should just plain stay away from motorcycles.
    oughtsix likes this.
  6. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr. Silvestre can do what he wants, but as an Army guy, I can tell you that those boots don't have ankle plates or enough rigidity to keep your ankle from over-rotating. Great for road marches, climbing the hills, etc., but in no way sufficient for RTW, in my opinion.

As a street rider for 40+ years and having taken my street bikes into the dirt (voluntarily & involuntarily), I'm making the move to the 1250GSA and investing in MX boots, specifically the A* Toucans. I can fix the squeak with oil or other lubricant (FYI, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant) but I want the strength and rigidity of a full-on heavy boot.

Note - Gear is good. Good gear is better. Excellent gear might not save your life, but you'd have a prettier corpse... ;-)
  7. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    He is.

BP
    lifeofliberty likes this.
  8. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, you're not disagreeing with him--in the video, he states that in some of the extreme environments he finds himself in, straight "motocross-type" boots would be a severe hindrance and even detrimental. He finds that his feet often need cooling that boots of that nature cannot provide, and that there are many instances when he is forced to hike/walk for a variety of reasons. He used to resort to tennis shoes (far less protective), but then found a hapy medium with military-type desert boots. I get it. Mediocre protection that you wear is better than "armored-up" gear that gets relegated to the gear bag.
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  9. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you began your statement it never looked it would end up being a very serious motor accident. That was awful, hope the mate was helped and is recovering from the injury sustained. That has also brought to my attention the need for investing in a good boot. Thanks for sharing this.
  10. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    Ever had a severe foot or lower leg injury? Some of us have had to learn the hard way about this topic. If you've "never had a problem" is that even relevant, if you've never had a bad accident? Only in a crash will you learn if your footwear actually works, but then it's too late for a lifetime of regrets.

Mil-spec boots are for hiking, not for riding. You can get away with it for a long time, but then when you are in a serious crash, odds are that you will wind up with lower limb injuries. I've owned many of these same boots and there is no way I would consider them ride-worthy, not even close. They do not encase the foot or ankle from trauma strikes, crush injuries and do next to nothing to protect the tibia and fibia. On a bike like in the video, it's even more likely that good boots are an essential piece of gear.

If your gear "gets in the way" for walking, take it off and put something else on, it's not rocket science (it's laziness and the "inconvenient" claims). But if you're on the bike, the risks you are running with improper foot gear is not worth tens of thousands of dollars (or far, far more) and a lifetime of injury.

My leg was going to be amputed just below the hip by the way. I refused the surgery, so then they offered to try to save the thigh and amputate below the knee. Also refused, I told them to let me die. In the end, experimental bone grafts were performed to save the femur. The tibia/fibia and ankle joint was badly damaged and plated / screwed together, some of that hardware is still in there. Other injuries included massive facial trauma.

Reflecting on all of this, the claims that you can "get away" with non-protective boots and what the industry tries to pass off as "sufficient" is in my experience, naive as hell. Survivors of bad accidents have to work against the inexperienced "wisdom" of the uninitiated in severe trauma and advise you to wear the best boots you can afford.
    Chibiabos, CA-Cincinnatus and Brtp4 like this.
  11. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^What LoL says, right up there^^. Over-protect yourself, so far as I know, you've only got one life, so do your damnedest to keep that meat puppet undamaged, it's a LONG ride. :thumb
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  12. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh snap - an oil thread :lol3. I'm on a set of Alpinestar Scouts that have been OK. I'm changing - not sure to what but it will have more ankle protection.

There's a lot of BS in the marketing world. Safety first!
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Scouts which have been good for me. Been down a few times with no problems.

I would like a pair of Alpinestar Toucans mainly for the Goretex. Warm and dry feet mean you can concentrate on the riding more. Not doing stupid things is better than having a fully armoured boot. But shit happens.

The problem is my big pile of money is almost all gone and my pension is nothing.
    Matt fe2o3 likes this.
  14. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a pair of A* Scout boots for 6 or 7 years and they were decent. The buckles were a bit of a pain after the first year. The lowest buckle was very hard to snap and would unsnap many times throughout the day. After a few years, they were pretty soft and comfortable though...and on one ride I hit a rock with my left foot which normally would have been a 'reminder' to keep toes up, but this one wrapped my foot around the footpeg and broke a toe. After that, I stopped wearing the Scout boots and bought a pair of new Sidi boots for about half price in the advrider flea market.
    Matt fe2o3 and davenowherejones like this.