1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    well those look better but still vast overkill for a road rider. I like the welt and cuff. Of three pairs of leathers only one will go outside boots. Water is a non-issue.

I broke my leg (tib/ fib spiral) and ankle (horizontal) standing almost still on a park sidewalk. Three months in a wheelchair and a chain of events that leave me permanently crippled. Dunno if I can ride, will try using a modified short throw shifter.

I consider my boots like my gloves, extensions of my leathers to protect my feet from smaller slams and abrasion.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    try a scooter
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I would like one. No $$$. I live on disability now.
  4. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mentioned waterproof socks due to earlier complaints about a lack of waterproof MX boots.

Sorry to hear about the fall, but consider the conflict in two of your statements: "vast overkill for a road rider" and "I broke my leg (tib/ fib spiral) and ankle (horizontal) standing almost still on a park sidewalk." A fall while riding on the road can subject your legs to much more damage than a fall on a sidewalk.

Given your current condition, having the best lower leg protection possible may be even more important. You could order a pair of SG-12 to see how they feel, and return if they won't work for you. Better that than skip the best protection because you don't like the way they look, without even trying them on.

Regardless, if shifting is now an issue, an auto-clutch may be worth a look. You'd still have to shift, but not as much.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  5. JoSiMo

JoSiMo n00b

Oddometer:
    Ho
    w about the O Neal MX Rider boots, I have these and seem solid and yes a little stiff but still low kilometers, only 900km. But really comfortable yet firm.
  6. JoSiMo

JoSiMo n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently got O Neal MX Rider boots, got 900km on them and despite feeling very restrictive they are really comfortable and solid.
    But I am no expert.
  7. RobertThePilgrim

RobertThePilgrim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Aussie University researchers did a fairly decent study of the impact different levels of protection made on injuries.
    Compared joggers, heavy boots, motorcycle boots, motorcycle boots with armor.
    There weren't enough motorcycle boots without armor involved in accidents to provide decent statistics.
    In comparison to joggers:
    Overall:
    Motorcycle boots w/ armor reduced the risk of injury to foot and ankle by ~55%
    Heavy boots reduced the risk of injury by ~47%.
    Bone fractures:
    Boots were not shown to help.
    Open wounds:
    Motorcycle boots w/ armor reduced the risk of open wounds by ~90%
    Heavy boots reduced the risk of open wounds by ~76%

https://www.georgeinstitute.org/sit...injury-or-just-the-weather-the-gear-study.pdf
  8. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to say that I've never been seriously injured on a motorcycle but a couple of the closest calls I've had have been foot or ankle related. Good boots save the day time and time again.
    mebgardner, Elle2Konsai and Brtp4 like this.
  9. Leystone

Leystone Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    Yup, boots.

[​IMG]
  10. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:

That link provided a sobering read.

Parts that stood out:

“The Highway Code says boots for a reason, and I have seen too many cases involving riders wearing shoes which simply fly off in an impact. A bare foot in a motorcycle collision at any speed is likely to result in the foot being so destroyed that amputation becomes the most viable option.”

“The network of bones, ligaments, thin skin and blood vessels in the foot renders it extraordinarily vulnerable and crushing or abrasion to the foot is disastrous.”

“I would rather ride in just shorts with boots than an armoured leather jacket and flip flops.”

Took a few accidents for me to get really serious about gear.. none more so than the last one requiring 4 days in ICU trauma and 4 months bed recovery and therapy. Since then, I wear my full length SMXplus boots, SR6 armored jeans, full length gloves with hard sliders, Arai helmet, and a Dainese airbag jacket on every ride, even if it’s just down the street.

The cost of gear and the time to put it on is a small amount compared to not being able to work, permanent nerve, neck, and back injuries, time spent recovering, and deductibles and fees insurance doesn’t cover. Proper gear is too often overlooked or put off for a later purchase, deemed unnecessary, or left at home instead of being worn on all rides. No one ever plans on an accident.

The times I’ve worn my gear head to toe and have gone down, I’ve popped back up with minimal injuries.. all it took was just one time when I wasn’t to nearly kill me. I learned the very hard way it doesn’t take much speed to seriously injure or kill a person. Gear up every time you throw a leg over or significantly increase the risk of life and limb.
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    These boots did there job well protecting my foot and ankle when a 4,000 pound SUV broke both my tib and fib, sadly the EMTs had to cut them off.
    riding gear Boots cut.jpg
  14. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I had a pair of those in the 80s. Very comfortable but great protection.
  15. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    This thread is full of great info, especially the war stories. I've had a few crashes, some more serious than others. In the worst (40mph high-side while 2-up), I landed on my head and then crumpled like a rag doll...ground-sky, ground-sky, etc. My 'stich CBT Lites were only scuffed and I rode them around 200k more miles. When it was time to replace them, I went with Frey Daytona's...I think they are about as protective as I can get in a boot that I wear every time a ride. there may be more protective boots but if they are cumbersome enough that I would not wear them every time then it's not worth it (to me).

Rule: the best gear is the stuff you wear every time you ride.

I also decided to get a set of leathers...something like 75% of the non-ADV moto riders here in Italy wear leathers. I decided against an airbag at this time on account that I don't think I would wear it in the warmer weather (when I ride the most). See above rule. the leathers have every available armor option and are fully perf'd. I was expecting the boots to be very hot but even in the summer, I never had excessive sweating (maybe the gore-tex works?)...and the boots are no-shit waterproof.

[​IMG]
    Brtp4, Turismo9999 and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    i can attest to the comfort of gore-tex boots. Comfortable year round.. keep my feet bone dry in the winter rainy months and cool in the dry summer months. I’ve come off 2 different bikes wearing them (A* Gore-Tex SMXplus) and they’ve held up really well and most importantly protected my feet. Easily worth what I paid for them several times over.

2A3AFB8D-FD8D-4393-AA75-9CC6E3A04FE9.jpeg

With regards to the airbag jacket, yes it’s a bit warmer and easily much heavier than any other motorcycle jacket I’ve ever worn, but after a while, I’ve grown to be very comfortable in it, and like the boots, know that if I ever have to put it to the test, it will easily be worth many times more than what I paid for it.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  17. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    So here we are just over a year after breaking my foot, and I'm totally sold on wearing the most robust boots I could find. I've been in Sidi Crossfires every time I left pavement, and even on pavement if the trip is more than a short commute. They're squeaky, obnoxious to operate foot controls in, and extremely conspicuous (which I leaned into by getting the loudest colors available). They're also windproof and warm at high speeds and low temps yet not uncomfortable in the woods in summer, really not bad to walk in once broken in a bit, and most importantly they are the undo button that I so desperately need. I'm not a skilled rider and when my 400lb DR lands on my leg because of a failed U-turn or when I try to dab my foot and kick a rock instead, these boots pat me on the head and tell me to try again.

For me, the protection is absolutely worth having to adapt to decreased ankle mobility and looking like a goon in a grocery store, squeaking around trying to find the bathroom. I still risk it to commute 3 miles to work or to go down the road to pick up take-out burritos, but I'm reconsidering that as the pain in my foot reminds me every day how fragile the human body is. It's really inexplicable how I'm more protected at lower speeds in soft dirt than I am speeding across a giant grinding wheel.
    Brtp4, Peanut_Buttery and ZoomerP like this.
  18. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I would cry if they cut up my Aerostich Combat boots!
  20. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had I been conscious I might have put up a fight.
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.