Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. adrianninci

adrianninci Rutas off

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE = "pass through, post: 22893696, member: 213761"] Entonces, mi pregunta es, ¿alguien ha encontrado una bota que brinde una protección razonable y le permita caminar muchas millas fuera de los límites si la bicicleta realmente se rompe?
    Sé que los dos requisitos son diametralmente opuestos, solo me pregunto si hay algo remotamente útil como compromiso. [/ QUOTE]

Yo llevo botas MX (la mejor que puedo pagar) y un calzado liviano extra para caminar. Existen zapatillas muy livianes que puedes llevar en la mochila o cualquier bolso de la moto.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Didi quality has fallen way off in recent years. Do some YouTube searches on the topic. Some guys have complete soles falling off after just a couple rides. Sidi is farming out their boots now, but they haven't eased up on the prices any.

For the cost of Sidi's, you'll get better quality for your dollar with Gaerne or Alpinestars Tech 7's. Alpinestars being much more comfy then the Gaernes.
    AZbiker likes this.
  3. Gondul

Gondul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Sidis in the videos I have seen failing (and keep getting posted) have all been SRS models and not TA boots...
    Brtp4 likes this.
  4. Gondul

Gondul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I buggered it and go the wrong size so now to wait until the correct size comes in...

Once I get the correct size, I'll be able to give a better impression on fitment vs Sidi and how it feels on the bike.

I moved the pics/info to here... https://advrider.com/f/threads/mx-boots-esp-buckles-in-a-street-crash.1469435/page-5#post-41128043

Attached Files:

ZoomerP likes this.
  5. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    My old Sidi fit great. Tried the Tech 7 and just didnt fit me right. Never tried the Gaerne yet, leaning heavily towards the TA as they fit great too.
  6. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill Supporter

Oddometer:
    I crashed a couple months ago on a trail at around 35mph when the front tube exploded on impact with an unseen babyhead. I lost all tire pressure (33psi) and steering in about a second, went down hard and fast on my ride side in softish damp mud. My bike, a 450lb KTM 950SE, landed hard on my right ankle and pinned it. I tweaked that ankle, but the Sidi Crossfire saved it from breakage. Otherwise, no other injuries.

Those boots are extraordinary... especially when you find 'em at half-price.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  7. SwampNut

SwampNut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over the past week or so, I've read nearly this entire thread. Even the crazy person whining about riders too close to the yellow line. My current riding footwear is a very old pair of Stryker low-height boots with the Boa lacing system (stainless cables tightened with a knob, instant release). I was mostly street riding, then got a mild adv bike, and now a more capable one, so I want to move up to a mid-length boot with a good compromise of comfort and safety. No, I'm not a safety-above-else person, after all, I'm on a motorcycle instead of in a Volvo with 57 airbags. I'm already saying that fun is worth the risk. I own full moto boots that I used on my dirt-only bikes and may use occasionally on the adv bike if appropriate.

It's interesting to note that so many boots in this thread have come and gone. It's amazing how many times I thought, "that's a great choice," only to find it is discontinued.

So I'm down to the Sidi Adventure 2 mid, Forma Adventure low (which is a mid boot despite the name), and a far third of the Sedici Viaggio. The latter are a contender only because I can try them locally and return them, otherwise I wouldn't really trust Sedici (Cycle Gear house brand). If anyone has tried a couple of those and can compare, your thoughts would be appreciated. I ride in mostly warm weather in AZ, and rarely see rain. Waterproofing and cold protection are irrelevant. I want fast/instant on/off to switch shoes, but also some reasonable walkability for when I just want to run into a place quickly. I like the two-buckle plus velcro attachment these three boots have. I've searched a lot, and these seem to be the only mid-height adv boots left.
  8. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread for over a year, and I'm amazed that there is almost no way to tell from online descriptions if a "motorcycle" boot gives ANY degree of protection over a good pair of leather work boots! It's nearly impossible to tell how stiff the sole is, or how resistant to twisting, how much support is in the ankle, and armor or crush protection where it's needed. The first pair I bought probably offers LESS protection than my work boots! One thing I have noticed about motorcycle boots, is that if there comfortable to walk around in, just go with good leather work boots!
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. Gondul

Gondul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they are comfortable, they are likely not very protective...
    atokad likes this.
  10. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider these
    https://www.alpinestars.com/collections/boots-touring-boots/products/toucan-gore-tex-boots
    I don't really care for Goretex lined boots for AZ weather but leather boots are hard to find these days.
    Gondul likes this.
  11. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    How would you quantify the protection of your work boots online?
    Brtp4 and Gondul like this.
  12. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My point exactly! It's like you have to spend several hundred dollars, get boots in hand, then find out your teenie shoes have about the same level of protection! The first pair of "motorcycle touring" boots I bought have a sole so flimsy, that if you put your foot down on a sharp rock you'll get a hurt, and there is about 2mm of neoprene between the liner and thin synthetic outer. They may buy you 0.5-1.0 second more abrasion resistance than high topped canvas sneakers and no more crush resistance! Hince, a good pair of leather work boots are probably better.
  13. Gondul

Gondul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a standard for motorcycle boots.... EN13634
    ZoomerP likes this.
  14. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I found one pair on RevZilla that list an EN 13634:2010 certification. According to Wikipedia how to interpret these numbers indicates a high top boot with just acceptable cut resistance? Everything else I looked at didn't list any certification.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was happy with my Sidi Adventure boots. Although I was lucky enough to have never had to product test them...
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Well, get out of Starbucks!
  17. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand

This is why I believe in supporting the local motorcycle shops, so you can see, try, and feel what different boots have to offer. That is where I found my first pair of
    Gaerne
    MX boots and have not been able to find another pair since the local boot shop stopped making repairs.
  18. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    That's where I started. I live in a major metro, and found nothing to try on. There was one pair that ticked off all my boxes, mid length, reasonably protective, quick on/off. Oh...only available in women's sizes. Nice. I can't find any boots in the mid length adventure range outside of Cycle Gear's own brand.

Well, that's actually a good product test, you wore them and liked wearing them. I do not believe that stiffer=better protection and the tests posted earlier in this thread showed that tests prove work boots are about as protective as moto boots. So I'm just looking for the comfort and features, relative safety is simply about how you crash, not so much what you're wearing when you crashed. And yes, I've crashed, many times, even in sneakers. Not one injury. Which proves absolutely nothing, just like being injured in a certain situation means nothing.

I had a look at them, but they are $200+ more than the others, and I can't find a reason why. I'm willing to pay more and to listen to why you recommend them though. Is there something about them that led to you paying more? Do you like them?
  19. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I don't have a pair, a buddy has had them for years and swears by them, he wears them both on and off road. I believe he said he bought them at Go AZ in Scottsdale.
    They are made of leather, I don't think any of the boots you mentioned are, if that matters to you. They also have replaceable soles.
  20. SwampNut

Oddometer:
    I do somewhat prefer to avoid leather, but I'm not fanatical about it. Go AZ told me they didn't have them a few weeks ago, but they are SOOO very disorganized. I should just ride over I guess. Months ago I asked them if they had a top box in stock, they said no. Go down there for something else, and almost trip over a KTM-specific Touratech that was just what I wanted.

Thanks, didn't think about sole replacement ability as a feature.