1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not wearing the boots because they were wet did that.

Peter
  2. Dk1661

Dk1661 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pete is right, that is not trench foot! I have learned a lot about feet in the last two years, take my advice and protect yours.
    Accidents happen, this was not my fault, but that is no excuse for not having protective gear on my feet. I had on Merrill hiking shoes, great for walking around construction sites all day if the boss does not notice, but I may have well been wearing socks for protection on the moto.
  3. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Seems like a lot more has to happen than to not wear boots to have that happen. I don't wear boots all the time and haven't had that happen. I wear leather shoes five days a week and have never had that happen. I don't know, it almost looks broken. I'm guessing there was some kind of accident. There's got to be more to the story.
  4. Littlepeter

Oddometer:
    That, unfortunately, looks like a Lisfranc injury, (dislocation of the midfoot).

Peter

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  5. Dk1661

Dk1661 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was tboned by a full size Toyota truck at 35mph, crushed calcaneous, talus, cuboid, 3 & 4metatarsal, and yes your right Pete major lisfranc. Believe it or not these were the least of my problems at the time. I have a permanent metal grid in my arch now, know to be a crippling and painful injury for life unfortunately.

On the bright side, I'm alive, and although I said I would never ride again, I got back on since riding does not put any pressure on the foot, I can ride all day. Same as sitting on on a couch really.
    : )
    LostInPA likes this.
  6. Littlepeter

Oddometer:
    uploadfromtaptalk1466200953169.jpg

I have felt and still feel your pain!

Peter

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  7. Dk1661

Dk1661 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dammit man! They did yours a bit different than mine , but we are both fucked equally. I bet you walk like I do.
  8. Dk1661

Dk1661 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have 3 big screws running the width of my foot, and one underneath all three to support them. A real cluster fuck.
    I have asked e few docs to remove foot, they won't do it too much a liability.
  9. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Sorry that happened to you guys.
  10. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    I posted elsewhere on this forum about my car v. bike experience where a car made a sudden lane change into me and impacted my foot/lower leg crushing the footpeg to the width of the boot sole and tearing the footpeg mount from the frame. I was wearing old school $120 Thor MX boots. These are the old style 4-buckle type that resembled every other MX boot made. The only injury I had was a bruised inside arch where the clutch cover impacted the boot. I could feel the load dissipate over my lower leg thanks to the heavy boot. An MX boot may not protect me against a high energy crash. But, it protected me that day. When camping or exploring places I know I'll be walking, I carry a pair of lightweight hiking shoes that are more like a cross trainer w/ a lug sole plus a pair of flip flops. When commuting, I keep a pair of dress shoes in the office. As for injuries moving up the leg with better foot gear: I'd much rather have a knee injury than a foot injury any day of the week.
  11. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    I wear MX boots. Every ride.
    Just got a pair of (older) Sidi Crossfires, so my Forma Terrain TX enduro sole boots are going up for sale. They are excellent boots, known to have good protection. But I only need one pair of boots.
    LostInPA likes this.
  12. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this thread and the ensuing paranoia about foot injuries I've been wearing a pair of Sidi crossfire 2s as my only riding boots for the last 9 months. The were pricey but now I wouldn't want to ride anywhere without them. You wouldn't want to walk a long ways in them but I usually have a pair of cheap sandals in the saddlebag in case I need to have something else to wear. I wish there was some way to eliminate the squeaking they make when you walk in them but it's a small price to pay. On the bike they're quite comfortable and just take a little getting used to for the shifter and brake. The crossfires also have a quick-replaceable sole which I've changed to the enduro pattern for more traction when off the bike.
    n3nman, snare and LostInPA like this.
  13. lumpkins

lumpkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gaerne SG12s every time I ride. Got them in the red, white and blue. Only negative is that I have a hard time modulating the rear brake, so I just use the front brake unless I'm taking off from a stop uphill.

Already saved my left leg when I low sided my VFR750 and leg was trapped underneath the bike as it was grinding down the road. Picked the bike up and road it home, zero injuries except to my pride (pants were Klim Adventure Rally Air with melted mesh where the boot buckles created high points for extra grindage, and some abrasion to the superfabric patch on the knee).
  14. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a good highly protective boot that easily goes under roomy motorcycle jeans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Sidi Adventure's fit underneath my riding jeans no problem. Haven't tried my Sidi Crossfires with my jeans yet...
  16. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Alpinestars Corozals and they won't fit under my BMW city pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Klim Fifty One riding jeans...
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I have Alpinestar Scouts which aren't the best protection but they fit under or over jeans. That said, I don't care what I look like.
  19. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    a follow up. I see I posted in 2013 when I was looking for boots.

I wound up getting the SIDI adventure gortex. I have now ridden them cross country 4x, I think, and maybe close to 50k miles. I like them a lot. They are heavy, as 14" boots can be, but the are comfortable to walk in and broke in quickly. They seem to be very durable. The velcro is still very sticky and the shifter toe pad is only wearing very slightly.
    Although they give good support and protection, I don't think I would choose them for hiking--I hate to hike--but only because of their heft.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I credit the OP and this thread for making me rethink what I felt was adequate foot protection.

image.jpg

I had been wearing Alpinestars Faster hightop style boots along with shin guards for their comfort and ease of walking in/putting on; good for a moderate slide, but in terms of crush/impact hyperextention protection, I realize now that they really offered minimal protection for a motorcycle boot.

This led me to searching for a pair of a high quality MX boots on close out these past few days as I didn't want to shell out $600 if I didn't have to. I ended up finding a great deal on a pair of mildly used Alpinestars Tech 10's tonight.

image.jpg

It was a close choice between these and a pair of used Sidi Crossfire SRS's, and went with the A*'s for the removable booties to walk around in if needed.

Thankfully the only two times I've gone down in the past 20+ years were at low speed with light injuries, and never had to put my footwear to the test, but impacts and falls are always unexpected and I feel a lot better knowing that should I have an unfortunate encounter with a car or the ground in the future, I have lessened my chances of lower leg/foot injury with a pair of quality MX boots vs. my soft hightop style boots.
    snare likes this.