Boots matter

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gregg Wannabe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I credit the OP and this thread for making me rethink what I felt was adequate foot protection.

image.jpg

I had been wearing Alpinestars Faster hightop style boots along with shin guards for their comfort and ease of walking in/putting on; good for a moderate slide, but in terms of crush/impact hyperextention protection, I realize now that they really offered minimal protection for a motorcycle boot.

This led me to searching for a pair of a high quality MX boots on close out these past few days as I didn't want to shell out $600 if I didn't have to. I ended up finding a great deal on a pair of mildly used Alpinestars Tech 10's tonight.

image.jpg

It was a close choice between these and a pair of used Sidi Crossfire SRS's, and went with the A*'s for the removable booties to walk around in if needed.

Thankfully the only two times I've gone down in the past 20+ years were at low speed with light injuries, and never had to put my footwear to the test, but impacts and falls are always unexpected and I feel a lot better knowing that should I have an unfortunate encounter with a car or the ground in the future, I have lessened my chances of lower leg/foot injury with a pair of quality MX boots vs. my soft hightop style boots.
    snare likes this.
  2. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    99.9% of my riding is on pavement. I got some Dainese TRQ-tour boots to replace Sidi On-Roads which have been discontinued. Sidi makes a similar boot in fabric ow instead of all-leather like the On-Roads and I didn't like that. When I went down doing light off-roading the ankle hinges on the Daineses did a good job on protecting my ankle from twisting but the fabric just above the hinge did nothing to protect my shin from the footpeg. It took about a few days for the full extent of the injury to become apparent but the swelling kept me from putting on anything more restrictive than sandals for nearly a week, and that was with frequent ice and a fulltime compression bandage. The good news was that nothing was broken, and the bruising didn't create any clots that could have traveled and become a pulmonary embolism. Even now (6 weeks later) there's still a noticeable knot there.

I think the leather On-Roads would have been better at protecting me from the footpeg but not so good at the ankle twist. I hate the idea of wearing MX boots "just" for touring but I'm leaning that way.

Bottom line is anything will do if you don't crash but if you do - for whatever reason - you can't go wrong with the protection of serious MX type boots. Better over-protected than under.
    snare likes this.
  3. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a plastic piece near the back of the heel that ribs with leather. Just apply oil all over every joint and points connecting and you'll be 100% squeak free.
  4. wilhutchins

wilhutchins Firefighting Clown

Oddometer:
    Anyone had experience with the Falco Mixto Adventure Boots - either on or off road?
    From what i've read prior to purchase, these are a well built mixed purpose boot. Certainly one of the best fitting boots I've had.

Attached Files:

5. northoceanbeach

northoceanbeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I heal up and get back on the bike I am wearing alpinestars Supertech R boots all the time. Well, unless it's raining. Then I have another pair of alpinestars.

They look cool especially paired with leathers. Will there be times other people laugh or mock? Maybe. But would this have happened if I was wearing them instead of tennis shoes image.jpeg and jeans?
  6. Ruger12g

Ruger12g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SiDi adventure goretex for me too. Very nice.
  7. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What boot gives good protection and pedal feel? Can't stand no pedal feel but want protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Ruger12g

Ruger12g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SiDi adventure goretex
  9. SeaDog

SeaDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have opinion on Sidi Canyon, Goretex?
  10. Chief Orman

Oddometer:
    Please recommend some boots guys... I still like my TSX high tops because of the great feel, but I know I need more protection.

11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I personally like my A* Tech 10's for their protection, comfort, and their removable booties. I too upgraded from high top style boots (A* Faster Vented) and knew I needed better protection, so I compared them to other full length boots like the excellent Sidi Crossfires, and found the inner A* booties great to walk around in if needed (I can store the outer boots in my saddlebags or could be also be locked to the bike with a cable lock)

I'd recommend trying on several pairs of boots at your local shop to see which ones are to your liking that offer similar protection. For me protection, comfort, and function were my priorities when choosing a pair of boots.
  12. bigfoot2222

bigfoot2222 The red hair makes it exciting

Oddometer:
    I just purchased these boots as I was coming from just a old work boot that I was using.

I low sided at about 40mph (64kph) in the work boot and the bike fell on my right foot, luckily they were composite toe and supported the weight of the bike preventing the crushing of my toes. The leather burned away in a deep gash but the toe box was intact.

Reading all of these stories helped me realize I needed more protection as I ride on the street. I have only had the boots a little over three weeks and I feel they are a step in the right direction in increased protection.
    Maybe not like full MX boot protection but they come up to the bottom of my shin armor, have ankle discs for a slide on pavement with reinforced heal and toe boxes. I bought some inserts and they feel great to walk around in.

HTH.
  13. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic Maisonneuve recipe:
    1. buckets of western foothills goose poop
    2. an afternoon thunderstorm
    3. a pair of Sidi Crossfires
    4. one fully loaded SE precariously suspended above gravity
    5. a handful of pre-journey euphoria cut in by a sliver of reality
    Stir clay into t-storm, ferment for 24 hours, spread over undulating surface.
    Blend SE on high carefully dropping one crossfire directly into blade.
    Tighten boot for 24 hours and ride 320 miles to an ER.
    Serve up on crutches and an aircast until the first snow flakes fall.
    SE down2.jpg L up.jpg
  14. ucav 117

ucav 117 PNW

Oddometer:
    Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex. The most expensive piece of gear I own but I have never regretted buying them. This website is where I bought them from. http://www.biker-land.de/
  15. Bobdog

Bobdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anybody recommend a boot for my big feet? I wear a 14ee and have been looking for a good boot.
    BigGuy likes this.
  16. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your hard lesson learned, Peter. I use plastic grocery bags as liners to keep my feet from getting wet. I commute in the rain and wear MX boots. Feet slip in and out very easily and my feet never get wet.

I'll forgo a riding jacket before my boots and riding pants.
  17. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat it. What you bought is a lot better than what you probably were wearing. Also, entry level MX boots are likely good enough if you're not a competitive rider in the rough stuff at high speed. Entry level MX boots are very affordable. Get something w 4 buckles. I've noticed a trend towards 3 buckles. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
  18. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Well stated simple, elegant, with pictures....enuf said
  19. BigGuy

BigGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem, tried some Sidis in size 49-50 earlier this year but they were too narrow, had to send them back. Am wearing EMT type black leather boots now, not a whole lot of protection.
    I watched my GF crash two days ago ahead of me, causing a dislocated and broken ankle and plenty of agony.
    Really need good boots, anybody know of a brand that is "wide" by design?
  20. Chief Orman

Oddometer:
    How about a recommendation for a entry level MX boot for someone who rides mostly on pavement.