1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Border Crossings - USA/Mexcio

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lone Rider, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    States: AZ - Sonora
    Cities: San Luis (south of Yuma on Hwy 95)- San Luis
    Date: 9-07
    Hours: 24
    Toll: none either way
    Migracion Location: 1st building on the right, right by the border entrance lanes
    Banjercito Location: Same building, 20 yds back
    Copias Location: I got mine from the cute Migracion lady, she offered
    Parking Location: I parked within 10 yds of crossing the border, behind some cones 2' from the border traffic in what I assumed was a restricted area w/o problems
    Comments: A no-brainer deal, helpful and friendly people, a guard dude watches the border traffic and he's very close to where I parked, the Casa de Cambio chica across the street had massive cleavage displayed but gave me the going rate anyway
  2. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Feel free to post your border crossing info, and please use this format unless you have a better one.

The goal is to collect this information so that it can be used by other riders. Take, share, give back, etc....
  3. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    States: AZ / Sonora
    Cities: Douglas / Agua Prieta
    Date: 5-07
    Toll: none either way
    Migracion Location: 1st building, immediately to the right of the border entrance lanes
    Temporary import location: same building
    Banjercito Location: A counter/set of windows in the same building, you walk across the floor, stay inside
    Copias Location: A counter/set of windows in the same building
    Parking Location: I parked in a covered area just before the building. There is a common roof for the building, over the entrance lanes and the covered parking area.
    Comments: This is one stop, all in the same building. Get your FMT and Temporary Import forms all in the same building. Friendly, helpful people. Mid week, about 8AM took about 30 minutes.
    Also - when we were exiting Mexico we tried to leave by way of Naco - the folks at the border told us they could NOT cancel out the temporary import. They told us to either head east to Agua Prieta or west to Nogales. This was also in 5/07.
  4. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Is this a Telethon kinda thing where nobody wants to fork-over? :D

Thanks, bb

Reach deep inside, find yourself....just do it.
  5. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Great thread, just needs more input. All I can input is +1 on Douglas / Agua Prieta confirming the information already posted. I crossed there in October, 2007.

I'm specifically looking for info on Sonoyta - is thera a Banjercito there to get a vehicle permit?
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I've never gotten a permit there, but believe you can at the customs stop about 10 miles? east of Sonoyta.
  7. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Muchas gracias grande barbudo explorador!
  8. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What LR said, I went through on 10-10-07 with Burt....hassel free. Came back in the US through Palomas, no problems there (although I did not turn my paper work in cause I'm going back in around the 2nd week of Feb for a couple of weeks). :D Good thread idea!
  9. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
  10. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    States: TX
    Cities: Laredo / Nuevo Laredo
    Date: 04-07
    Toll: $2 each way.
    Migracion Location: Cross at bridge number one. (The entrance to the bridge is 27 30' 04.81" N and 99 30' 27.82" W.) Once across, take the first possible right at the first intersection. Take the next possible right and it should be the second possible right into the large parking lot. The parking lot is 27 29' 54.35" N and 99 30' 30.78" W. While you're here, look to the north and you'll see an ugly fence built by the Mexicans to keep the gringos on the north side of the river. Ironic....isn't it?
    Temporary import location: same building
    Banjercito Location: same building,
    Copias Location: same building
    Parking Location: Same with plenty of parking.
    Comments: This is one stop, all in the same building. I've been to every border crossing from Brownsville, Tx to San Diego. This crossing, IMHO, is the quickest and most efficient. I've been in and out in 15 minutes. When returning papers, you don't even have to get off the bike. Your receipt is generated by a state of the art handheld computer with a printer.
  11. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking to cross in southern New Mexico or the El Paso area, take a hard look at the Santa Theresa POE. It is 12 miles from I10 using the Artcraft Exit (Texas Exit 8) and hours are 6am-10pm.

It is not very crowded, will save lots of time, and has very secure parking. Everything (bank, Customs, Immigration) is in one building. If going east to the autopista to Chihuahua, there is a toll about 15 miles from the POE before connecting with the autopista. If memory serves, it is less then 30 pesos.
  12. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The migracion/aduanas stop is 50k or so inside Mexico on hwy 57 near the town of Allende. It has never been busy the two times I've used it. I was able to park the bike where I could see it from inside the building. It feels weird to ride across the border and just keep going 30 miles before doing the paperwork, but that's what you do. Everything is in one place, copies available.
  13. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorite crossing. Migracion/Aduanas immediately on your right after you go through the gate. Copies available, friendly service, ATM in town, to stock up on pesos. I don't think I have ever spent more than a half hour here getting sorted, in 3 trips.