Bored- Riding to upstate NY on new Versys 1000

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Doogle, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several years ago I rode the Trans-Labrador Highway on my KLR. I passed through an area, going into Canada, that I wanted to explore some time. I looked it up last week and found it's called Thousand Islands. 2 weeks ago I bought a used (2900 miles) 2019 Versys SE LT+ 1000. I'm bored with the Covid confines and decided it would be a great use of my time, going now. With Thousand Islands being my destination, I Googled must see in upstate New York. From the list of 10 I developed, about half are closed. I don't care. I'll go visit places open or not. Maybe I can just occupy them. If others can, why can't I? lol. I've never done a RR for a short trip like this. I will be leaving as soon as Amazon delivers a few items. My windshield extension just arrived, and is sitting on the porch. My new tent should be here by 9 pm tomorrow. My old tent is worn out and leaks. I don't plan on tent camping. But with the social distancing and Governor Cuomo rulings, I need to be prepared.
    Andyota and Sal Pairadice like this.
  2. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    The Finger Lakes and Adirondacks both offer excellent riding, and I thought that all upstate regions are open. I always found the Thousand Islands pretty boring from land. There are gorges in Ithaca and Letchworth State Park is called The Grand Canyon of the East. it is open.

The state website if frustrating and vague but it does give information;

https://www.businessexpress.ny.gov/app/crw?link_goal_state=ScreenOrder~Main~qs$CRW_01$global$global

https://www.businessexpress.ny.gov/...creenOrder~Main~qs$CRW_OUTCOMES$global$global
  3. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    I have visited 1000 island region several times on motos..
    in 80's the Boldt castle was incomplete since 1900< but when
    I returned in 2008 the awesome structure had windows!
    it involves a short ride on a boat, since it is on Heart island.
    Lunch on a marina/water is relaxing.
    I remember the bugs commiting suicide on moto wshield at
    night on way to a Potsdam,NY motel.
    I njoyd both trips, on m/c.

Ride Safe
    Sully
  4. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adacks are great - If you get around Lake Placid & Whiteface (aka Iceface) get on Rt. 431 / 18A - the smell of the Pine Trees is awesome.

Some others Rt. 7 from Elizabethtown to Moriah Center (Watch for Jonny Law) then English Pond Rd.

Have fun & be safe - Jump into Vermont too
  5. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I have most of these on my list to consider. All packed and ready to leave in the morning. Got my "just in case" tent and silicon-ed it this evening. No time limit for my trip. Probably around a week. A friend I know from wintering in southern California lives near Rochester. My wife told me he just rode his Harley to the Thousand Islands area yesterday. May meet up with him in Dansville? Could ride to Mt. Washington again if the weather is decent-or not.
    9Realms likes this.
  6. Doogle

Oddometer:
    July 4, 2020 561 miles Victor, New York
    Great traffic and weather today. Lower 80`s most of the day. I stopped in Jamestown New York and visited the reproduced Desilu Studios. Replications of the I Love Lucy apartments and original pieces like shoes, costumes, musical instruments....... Half of the museum was closed for remodeling. Probably not many young people even know who Lucille Ball is. Here's a couple pictures of the their setups.
    2020--07-04 Desilu Studio  Jamestown,NY7.JPG

2020--07-04 Desilu Studio  Jamestown,NY5.JPG

2020--07-04 Desilu Studio  Jamestown,NY4.JPG

Yeah, I know it's pretty thrilling. But it was these pictures or pictures of cops giving people tickets.

After leaving Jamestown, it was about 100 miles to Rochester via Buffalo. I wanted a room in Rochester, but struck out. There were a couple places I wanted to see there, even though they were closed. I found this room on Booking.com. My GPS routed me 28 minutes and 22 miles- to the wrong place.

About my new Kawasaki. The fuel gauge has 6 bars. The first disappears after 100+ miles. The 2nd disappears after another 30 miles. The 3rd-20 miles. 4th 5-8 miles. The 5th, 15 miles.
    The seat was comfortable for about 1/2 hour. Everything else seems good.
  7. john112deere

john112deere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a very similar experience several years ago (on my way to Wisconsin, via Canada)...I've been back to the Thousand Islands more years than not since then. Love the area.
  8. Doogle

Oddometer:
    July 5, 2020 Dansville, New York 95 miles

Today I met up with my friend Sam. We wintered at the same place in southern California for years. He lives in Dansville, near Letchworth State Park. I was supposed meet him at 10 am. I was late. Couldn't find the address to put in my GPS, the GPS Ram holder fell apart while mounting it, had to find the lost spring and washer, some how my emergency flashers came on. I had to get the manual out to find how to turn them off, a bridge was out and no detour signs, and I needed gas. So, I called him and explained why I'm 20 minutes late and still not there. 10 minutes later he came to me.
    IMG_0003.JPG

Letchworth State Park is about 18 miles long. It was cool riding on a hot day. It has a canyon that was cut deep by a river.
    IMG_0006.JPG

Today the river level was very low. The Mount Morris dam was built in 1940 to control flooding. Looks funny without water behind it.
    IMG_0002.JPG

There is a high train trestle that crosses the river too. It replaced the 100+ year old a few years ago.
    IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Sam took me to a favorite restaurant for lunch. And wouldn't let me buy. Now I'm spending the night at his house. He's doing everything to keep my trip costs down-except buying my gas.
  9. Doogle

Oddometer:
    July 6, 2020 I'm at the Ship Hotel ($93) in Alexandria Bay, NY. 221 miles today.

This is the Thousand Islands area on the Saint Lawrence Seaway. I took a ferry to the Boldt Castle on Heart Island. George Boldt was having this mansion built in 1900. With 128 rooms. He was the general manager of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in NYC. In 1904, his wife died and everything stopped. It sat neglected until 1977, when the Boldt family gave it to the Thousand Island Bridge Authority. They have been repairing and completing the construction as a tourist attraction. The lower 3-4 levels look great.
    2020-07-06 Boldt Castle,  Alexandria Bay,  NY 05.JPG

2020-07-06 Boldt Castle,  Alexandria Bay,  NY 41.JPG

2020-07-06 Boldt Castle,  Alexandria Bay,  NY 23.JPG

2 other structures include the power house and the children's play house.
    2020-07-06 Boldt Castle,  Alexandria Bay,  NY 48.JPG

2020-07-06 Boldt Castle,  Alexandria Bay,  NY 60.JPG

I've been to many castles in Europe. But I liked this almost complete castle as much as any of them. Even though it is a thousand years newer.

This town, Alexandria Bay, is not very big. It's like a smaller version of Put-in-Bay, Ohio.
    Amphib, BigDogRaven, TownPump and 8 others like this.
  10. john112deere

Oddometer:
    If you park at the Welcome Center at I-81/NY-11, you can walk across the big suspension bridge...I think it's a gorgeous view from the middle. My girlfriend thought it was freaky being that close to the trucks barreling by with just a narrow barrier to separate us.
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Is that the Welcome Center near Pennsylvania?
  12. john112deere

Oddometer:
    No- right in the Thousand Islands- between Alex Bay and Clayton.
  13. bt260

bt260 four wheels is two wheels too many

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you're interested in some fun curves or cool breweries in the eastern Finger lakes Region. I'd be happy to show and/or tell...
  14. Doogle

Oddometer:
    July 7, 2020 Alexandria Bay, NY 36 miles

I went to the Singer Castle this morning. It was $38 for the 1 hour ferry ride there, tour of the castle, and return ferry. It was built around 1905 for Fredrick Bourne (5th president of the Singer Company) as a hunting lodge. It has 28 rooms and was built on the Dark Island. Dense vegetation made the island look dark.
    IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

I asked the guide why it's called a castle instead of a mansion. To me a castle is a fortification and built with stone. He didn't know.

On the 6th level they had a room for the maids.
    IMG_0040.JPG

In the afternoon I rode to Wellesley Island after crossing the Thousand Islands Bridge. The north end of the island is the exit point to Canada. When I crossed this bridge in 2017, I wanted to return and see the area. So here I am. I rode around the area, but it was hard to find view points without going past no trespassing signs.
    IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

After wondering around on the island for a while I did find this rest area. IMG_0053.JPG
    Amphib, BigDogRaven, Fidget and 5 others like this.
  15. Doogle

Oddometer:
    That must be the one I was at today. Didn't know I could walk the bridge from there. I thought the walk way was for maintenance only. The view riding across that bridge is the reason I came back here. I took a couple miserable pictures while riding over it.
  16. Doogle

Oddometer:
    No clue where I'm going tomorrow. Breweries are always on my radar. But curves before breweries. Probably go east again. Then back this way.
  17. john112deere

Oddometer:
    Exactly same for me, except I was in a pickup.

Yeah, they don't really advertise that walkway; it's pretty narrow and gets crowded if people are going both directions...one time I stood out there so long I started to worry they were going to think I was getting ready to jump.
  18. bt260

bt260 four wheels is two wheels too many

Oddometer:
    Curves before breweries is usually the best plan of attack. I work in Syracuse til 4 thru Friday, be happy to show you around or buy a round
    anytime after that or if you find yourself still in the area Saturday.
  19. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get a chance to stop at the "Wooden Boat Museum" in Clayton (which, by the way, also has a very nice brewery--or had, three years ago, when I was last there)? Not 18th century rowboats or sailing vessels, but early 20th century speedboats, toys for the rich people who built castles on the islands. Big hot-rods with twelve-cylinder engines and exposed valve trains. At least one Rolls-Royce aircraft engine in a boat. And the predecessor of the Jet Ski. Cool stuff!

Re the Singer Castle: my wife and I toured it three years ago (sounds like the same boat you took), and the story they told us is that Mr. Singer's niece or daughter or something was into romantic mystery stuff and so built he built the summer home on the island in the form of a castle. What struck me was the lengths they went to in order to hide the servants: there's a big impressive pier on one side of the island, for guests to arrive with proper pomp and circumstance, a separate pier on the other side of the island for supplies, and a tunnel under the tennis courts so that stuff could be carried from the pier to the kitchen without the guests seeing anything. There were also hidden stairwells, and a painting overlooking the dining room, with they eyes cut out so that a servant could stand up there, wait for the subtle signal from the man at the head of the table, then rush down the hidden stairs to the wine cellar and appear, apparently out of nowhere, with bottle in hand.

Funny thing was, the guy who built Singer Castle rarely got away from his job in NYC long enough to get up there and enjoy it. After his death, it was passed through the family as something of a white elephant before being donated to a religious order, which used it for a retreat center for a while and then sold it to somebody who stripped it of art objects (I think the art objects on display now are reproductions) and put it to its current use as a tourist attraction.

At least that's what I remember of what they told us. Gotta admit I was more interested in the boat museum and brewery.
    B10Dave likes this.
  20. Doogle

Oddometer:
    You remember well. I asked how secret the passageways could be with the creaky floors. This morning I'm still deciding where I want to go next.
    B10Dave likes this.