Borneo Equator Expedition - Jungle , Swamps and Heatstroke

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KTMInduro, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Rpoa

Rpoa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried all brand of trial tire, except IRC. My favorite is Michelin X11. During our trip in Borneo Monty use Dunlop while I use Pirelli MT43. When I used Dunlop trial tire, I was faced with the same problem, the knob peeled off, and the soft sidewall made the bike sway side to side at speed. However it has an excellent grip at most surfaces.

The Pirelli was a good choice for my trip, I did not regret it at all. I used my Pirelli close to 500km before I left for the frip. Then adding 2300km for the trip itself, it makes close to 3000km on the tire itself, pretty AMAZING. Good luck finding MX knobby tire that can last that long and performs well. Didi and Eca's tire were pretty shot and performed less than good after 1000km. I never had any grip issue at all until the last day of the trip before we got on the boat, it was soupy, swampy mess... Trial tire grips not digs, so it doesn't need the tall knobs as much as regular MX tire.

I had one puncture on the Pirelli, it was 3 days before the end of the trip. Since I ran Tubliss, it took me 5 minute to plug it. However, running it at higher speed for a long period of time, the Stop n Go plug came off as the tear had gotten bigger. The front tire was a totally different problems with Tubliss.

The Michelin is a much better performance tire than the Pirelli, but the Pirelli sidewall did not collapse when you have a puncture as other trial tires. I rode as fast as 120km/hr on long longging dirt road on Pirelli, it was very stable. With Tubliss I can run with my tire flat for a quite a bit, the rim lock is super good. I still run Tubliss now, but only in my rear, gave up on the front.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rpoa - Thanks for the response on your tires. As I stated earlier a banging report from you guys:clap . i thought your problem with the front was a slash in the tire, not an easy fix with the Tubliss system. Is it for this reason you are abandoning the Tubliss system in the front or other reasons:ear ??? Also what tire pressures were you running on this trip, ballpark?

Thanks again for the RR.
  3. Rpoa

Rpoa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my favorite tire in front, Dunlop D756. It is a soft terrain tire, but I never have any problem running it in variety of terrain with heavy duty inner tube. Running Tubliss, the air leaks through little cut/slash in the tire from rock or sharp roots, and tire pug is just a temporary fix till the cuts gotten bigger. After talking to Tubliss in the US, it seems other riders have similar problem too, the solution is to use harder compound tire, which means less grip for the type of riding I'm doing. so, I switchback to tube type.

I run 10psi at most during higher speed dirt/logging road. I ran as low as 5psi on gnarly stuff.
  4. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    :clap :freaky :thumb :bow :pynd

If a DVD ever gets put together, even if it's just raw video & pics, let us know.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. My wife and my employer will now get some service out of me after my complete uselessness for the past 2-3 days.

I wonder how modified the Wrangler JK was in making it through the swamps. Being a long-wheelbase 4-door, I'm surprised it did as well as it did. Was it diesel, or the 3.8l V-6?
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Thats was freaking awesome....THANKS for taking the time

:thumb
  7. MickDmouse

MickDmouse Adventurer

Oddometer:

A Videographer from Italy was with us. his DVD should be out soon.
  8. roninwva

roninwva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did I miss this terrific report? I've only just started it, but wanted to mark it as a must finish. :clap
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome to see a happy ending...:clap

you guys have achieve a magnificent feat. great memories to take with you for the rest of your lives.
  10. roninwva

roninwva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure!!! I waded through the entire thing this evening and my slippers have mud on them and I'm sweating profusely. There are a lot of untold stories I'm sure on this report. Would love to read the same trip from one of the 4 wheelers perspective. I'm not quite sure what a TAFT is but it looke like quite a good little 4X4. Thanks for the trip. :D
  11. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted if you find out anything regarding a DVD:clap
  12. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing ride report, just brilliant. :deal Thanks for sharing.
  14. erbemone

erbemone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very, very much for writing this report. It cannot be said enough.
  15. PsychoSayWhat

PsychoSayWhat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - incredible!
  16. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip.

You've fed my Walter Mitty side to overload.:gdog

Many years ago with my main hobby being hardcore 4X4's, I dreamed of doing the Trans Borneo Rally.

Now I can dream of doing it on a dirtbike LOL

If the opportunity ever arose, I'd jump on it. Just need at least a year to get my abilities up :lol3

Bravo to an incredible journey.

So ummm where the link to your next adventure?? :lurk I feel like a junkie going through withdrawal

Take care & looking forward to reading about your next adventure. :freaky
  17. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Will someone please post here with the title when it is available for ordering...
  18. vdv2020

vdv2020 Luxembiker

Oddometer:
    Can we just place orders here already? ;)
  19. isti

isti n00b

Oddometer:
    congrats man. hands off to the sherpas of adventure riding. those men amazed me.hands off to those guys
  20. Turbine

Turbine The mild one

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing your story :norton