Borrow/rent/swap/buy bike late Nov to late Dec

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by djeady, Aug 27, 2019.

1. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm arriving in Aukland on November 19 and looking for a bike to use for a month. Preferably a KLR650 with hard bags or similar.

Commercial rentals seem very expensive.

I've bought a bike in Australia and will be selling that before I come over. Could be interested in a swap for the Aus bike. Also have a couple of bikes in Canada that I could consider loaning in exchange for use of a bike in NZ.

Otherwise looking to buy and resell at the end. I have a friend who is local who can help coordinate.

What have you got?
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  4. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still looking. Your suggestions please.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Two suggestions made above, so far no response at all to those. You might want to be a bit more specific.
    Jeff Sichoe and Night Falcon like this.
  6. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    maybe he's got you on ignore lol
    oldbeer likes this.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    :D
  8. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
  9. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They all look good. Second one is in the right place and has all the right parts, but seems a bit pricy. Sorry if I've been a bit silent. Just trying to get my act together in Aus still. Been on the road for almost a week.
    Muzz67 likes this.
  10. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry had much else to deal with getting settled here. Both ads have expired so I imagine they are sold.
  11. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    IMHO, they are all pretty fairly priced, and will be worth more in the summer season when more folks are thinking of travelling.
    Got a thread of your Dingo-land travels?
  12. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
  13. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im looking into shipping over the KLR that I bought in Australia.

Is anybody interested in buying it at the end of my trip? Runs great, good bash plate and large panniers. It will be fairly high mileage (90,000 km) but should still be a great bike for somebody.
  14. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inquiry sent. Trademe doesn't want to let me register - keeps rejecting my valid Australian phone number. Inquired on dealer's web site.
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    You will not be able to register to use trade me if you dont live here. You might be able to call the vendor if they have posted their number or email but thats about it. Surprised your local friend has not explained that.

There have been quite a few scams that start with some one calling or texting from overseas about vehicles for sale. Hence most people just ignore overseas contacts so don't be too surprised if you dont get a response. Edit...have just reread your post and see you are talking to a dealer. Hopefully they will reply. But the rest of this applies if you end up going for a non dealer bike.

Suggest you work through your contact for now as unless you have some way of getting money here before you arrive and someone to close the deal for you then you will have to wait till you get here before you can go buy one. At least that way you get to try it first. The admin side of it is cheap quick and easy.

While I'm here, I note that there are many threads talking about the cost/benefit of shipping a bike to NZ from Australia. It is generally not recommended but you will have to do the maths and see how it stacks up. Don't forget to add the costs of compliance testing and registration (licence) into the equation. See the NZTA website for details.

Whether anyone in NZ would want to buy a high mileage discontinued adventure bike thats been imported would depend on how much you are prepared to sell it for. As you can see there are some nice much lower mileage ones for not much. Yours would fetch a lot less is my guess. I doubt it would sell quickly unless you put it up for auction with a low reserve.

Apologies if this is telling you how to suck eggs. Just trying to help you avoid some of the more common pitfalls. Hope it all works out.
  16. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just working through it all. Was finally able to register on Trademe. It rejects any number you put it if you select the country code for Australia.

As soon as I identify a likely bike, I will get my friend involved.

I know a lot of people are put off by high mileage and they shouldn't be - this bike is a great runner and is in good shape other than some cosmetic stuff.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM Adventure Rider <advrider@advrider.com> wrote:
    Adventure Rider
    djeady, oldbeer replied to a thread you are watching at Adventure Rider.

Borrow/rent/swap/buy bike late Nov to late Dec
    oldbeer

You will not be able to register to use trade me if you dont live here. You might be able to call the vendor if they have posted their number or email but thats about it. Surprised your local friend has not explained that.

There have been quite a few scams that start with some one calling or texting from overseas about vehicles for sale. Hence most people just ignore overseas contacts so don't be too surprised if you dont get a response.

Suggest you work through your contact for now as unless you have some way of getting money here before you arrive and someone to close the deal for you then you will have to wait till you get here before you can go buy one. At least that way you get to try it first. The admin side of it is cheap quick and easy.

While I'm here, I note that there are many threads talking about the cost/benefit of shipping a bike to NZ from Australia. It is generally not recommended but you will have to do the maths and see how it stacks up. Don't forget to add the costs of compliance testing and registration (licence) into the equation. See the NZTA website for details.

Whether anyone in NZ would want to buy a high mileage discontinued adventure bike thats been imported would depend on how much you are prepared to sell it for. As you can see there are some nice much lower mileage ones for not much. Yours would fetch a lot less is my guess. I doubt it would sell quickly unless you put it up for auction with a low reserve.

Apologies if this is telling you how to suck eggs. Just trying to help you avoid some of the more common pitfalls. Hope it all works out.
    View This Thread View in App
    Unread Watched Threads
    Please do not reply to this email. You must visit Adventure Rider to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Borrow/rent/swap/buy bike late Nov to late Dec at Adventure Rider with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

https://advrider.com/f/
  17. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer: