Boston to Philly

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Jewcati, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Jewcati

Jewcati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I will be driving from Boston to Philly a lot, and I was wondering if anyone had a ride that doesn't take more than a day, but avoids some slab. Trying to balance time and sanity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Must be all road, no dirt
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Jewcati likes this.
  3. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done the trip a few dozen (hundred) times myself. There's no real straight route to go that is any fun so doing so will probably take all day. Route 15 is sometimes a fun ride, you can pick that up in Hamden Ct (I believe). Watch out for deer!
    The Tappan Zee Bridge is new so I can't comment on it, I haven't crossed it in the last year. Once you get west of the bridge, you can cut over into Pa on 287 then hit 202, take it to 476 and then 76 south into the city.
    There aren't too many routes that are direct and not slab other than 95 for you.
    Jewcati likes this.
  4. Tnkrplt

Tnkrplt Retired...

Oddometer:
    My daughter lives in NJ so I’ve made that journey a few times on my bike. Unfortunately your route hits a lot of congested areas so it depends on how long a day you want to balance highway and back roads. Definitely Rt15 Merritt Pkwy through CT. It’s like a backroad at highway speeds and there’s no 18 wheelers due to low bridges. The new Tappan Zee Bridge is fine. They’ve gotten rid of the toll booths and it’s all E-ZPass. If you don’t have one they send you a bill in the mail. In NJ 287 is an alternative to the Garden St Pkwy. Then maybe 202. I’m not that familiar with that area.
  5. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    Ill be following this. My sister lives in Philly and it would be a nice ride down to go visit her. In my pickup truck i usually turn on "Avoid Toll Roads" on my GPS and it puts me on some decent back roads, but there is quit a bit of highway slab. I think in total 4.5 hours from the Marlborough area to the heart of Philly.
  6. OrganicPanic

OrganicPanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I head from Philly to NH, VT, & Maine annually in the summer.
    Traditionally I have breakfast at a little Mexican joint in Lambertville just across the bridge from New Hope, PA. Then meander my way northeast-ish.
    I almost always go through Harriman State Park along Seven Lakes Drive and cross the Bear Island Bridge. Immediately on the other side of the bridge I turn left and follow 9D North. At some point I turn east...
    Not sure how you'd run it southbound, I'm usually headed to meet a buddy in Brooklyn on my way south, so I miss that area on the southbound leg.