Boston to Quebec City... and through the woods we go.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ChadLowers, Aug 5, 2018.

1. ChadLowers

ChadLowers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new to Boston/New England, and after riding around the city and up to the White Mountains I wanted to get out and do a larger trip. Quebec seemed intriguing. A very foreign experience with a lot of potential for good dirt roads in-between. I went up through NH/VT, and came back through the north of Maine. 3.5days, ~1200 miles.

This map... sort of represents the route. There is a lot of "off limits" land in Maine that I definitely wouldn't consider riding because people say you shouldn't. The same folks will tell you there are logging trucks to kill you all day and all night, people looking to track you down, fines to be assessed, and they may even take your motorcycle from you and send you walking.

...or maybe you'll ride an entire Saturday on some of the most amazing gravel roads with the most amazing scenery you have ever experienced. Perhaps if you run in to some of these loggers they'll be really nice people, talk to you for awhile about how they like to ride their bikes out there too, and give you some route ideas for the rest of your ride. But I wouldn't know. Anyway.

Great riding here once you're out of the city. I found some nice camp spots out in the woods that really helped me reset my mind a little bit. Only rained on twice in three and a half days. I'm impressed with New England and Quebec. The language barrier was real but I was able to get by just fine. I can't wait to explore more around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great sunset gave way to an an incredibly wet & foggy morning:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSA: Army issue wet weather bags can be had at most surplus stores for around $10 each brand new. Ironic as the ones I was issued in the Army always seemed to have holes in them. I use them to line my panniers and cover my backpack when traveling on the bike. They have worked very well for me.

[​IMG]
    popscycle, Bors, Tallbastid and 5 others like this.
  2. chief 06

chief 06 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spectacular photos!
    Tallbastid and ChadLowers like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Northeast. :-)
    Tallbastid and ChadLowers like this.
  4. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Army issue wet weather bags can be had at most surplus stores for around $10 each brand new. Ironic as the ones I was issued in the Army always seemed to have holes in them."

Back in the day when I was in, the only waterproof items were the swimming trunks and tea-bags!

Nice pics! Keep em coming!
    ChadLowers and DC950 like this.
  5. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hm. Someone appears to have rather good taste in food for being on a bike:lol2
  6. ChadLowers

ChadLowers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gas station pizza travels well!
  7. Mtl-Marc

Mtl-Marc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice pictures! Above average for sure.
  8. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was the language barrier in Quebec or Boston? :D
    flei likes this.