1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a Trials Bicycle!

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Greebe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like there is interest in trials bicycles here, so I just changed the title to the "Bicycle Trials Thread!" so we can have a running post for those of use who are messing with bicycle trials as well.
    Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    The 'new' Bicycle Trials Thread!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/trials-bicycles.664648/ :deal
  3. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Lol! No need! I just remembered posting in that other thread a few times several years ago! :lol3
  5. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike I'm shooting to buy from jonnyc is a stock echo. I too am rural and actually prefer it. Street riding looks fun but I'd rather be in the woods any day. Even so, I am curious to hear more about how you like the 24. If I end up sticking with bike trials I would likely go that route, eventually. At least just to try it out for a while. Good job on your progress.
  6. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    I was finally able to buy jobnyc21's Echo. I had just enough time to throw it together before we left to celebrate last night. So far I have tried to bunnyhop off a 2' drop having never tried to bunny hop a trials bicycle before. Bruise to the back of my thigh. Then a while later I tried to do a nose manual down my gravel driveway to the shop. Ended up getting my shin with the pedal. I should have put the Jitsie shinguards I bought on but of course I didn't. A helmet might not be a bad idea.

5511D497-F902-4E11-A190-831E9BD9B43A.jpeg 4FD5B793-BEF8-4871-9C48-2B3604FDADF6.jpeg
    DyrWolf, Greebe, Nobade and 3 others like this.
  7. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club - many of us trial bicyclers have shin scars
    Kiharaikido and jonnyc21 like this.
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm having flashbacks to Tim "The Toolman" Taylor being on a first-name basis with the ER Docs. :lol3
    Kiharaikido and jonnyc21 like this.
  9. Paul7

Paul7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    This is the best resource I've found thus far. I've been reading it for quite a while. I'm glad I finally have a bike to practice what I've read. I found the description of the wheelie process to be super helpful.

https://trashzen.com/sitemap.php
    MT 007, jonnyc21 and Nobade like this.
  11. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have scars all over my shins from the screws on the pedals biting me too. Feels good hitting the shin bone.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  12. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    We own Approaching a dozen trials bicycles.
    My youngest lad is the main contender he took it seriously in his younger years An ashton 20 Onza spyrogula 26 inch Tw0 Base TA20s Onza T Lite an Odd ball mission compo 20 Onza Rip 20 . And a DA BOMB 20
    Oldest son has a Base TA26 And the daughter a Monty 20 inch.
    Now I have .. An ONZA T PRO 20 its much modified bigger bars and wheels disk brakes .
    The youngest son is in a bit of a lull with these bikes at the moment and i can see him taking more interest in the motorcycles , A ty 250 project is in the mill at the moment but the deal is not done yet . He was on the ashton today two hours and it was good to see him setting down to it again. the eldest son has gone to cars at moment and University pending next year he has Dropped his Trials riding of any kind just at the moment.
    The daughter is a good motorcycle trials rider but the monty was a buy just because the lads had them, I bought the Onza T pRO for much the same reasons. but i admit old as i am i still enjoy playing on it. and exercise my dogs on it now and again.
    Its good for riding through the woods slow but its gearing is ideal on the uphill tracks and turns, only mod i had to do for me was the higher bars these gave me a more upright stance and yet did not make the front too light for grip in the turns.
    They are good exercise and well worth the money you can pick used ones up for. Only downside is storing them. but 20s are not too bad we get them in a wooden shed but its a faff getting one out from the back.
    DyrWolf and jonnyc21 like this.
  13. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    I have been practicing wheelies to trackstand. I am hoping as the obsticles get higher the easier it will be to find the rear wheel balancing point. My 18 month old son is riding skinnies, ramps and drops on his balance bike. He follows me around when I ride.

Attached Files:

riabma77, oldtrialer, y4m4 and 3 others like this.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Top notch! been doing a bit more moto riding over the last few weeks but need to remember to get out on the bicycle as well. I will at least do a bit more in the next few days as I have a leaky fork seal at the moment.
  15. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I thought one had to wear spandex shorts to ride a trials bicycle. Nice to see you break the mold. :D
    motobene and jonnyc21 like this.
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shorts, you must be thinking ballet. TRIALSIN is dangerous to your health. Full riding gear.
  18. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey it's a ranch. Filthy jeans it is!

Oh a found a higher-resolution file of the same:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Videos-Misc/i-Bxw2LDF/0/d6268275/640/091229 Chris Tries Again MPEG2-640.mp4

Reminds me. End of 2009 was beginning of the four years of hell for us. Ice storms, blizzards, then years of exceptional drought leading to fires in 2011 and 2012. Then floods blew out creeks and fence work. And we had a couple of earthquakes too.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Videos-Misc/i-tWmwJLf/0/bf2d1cff/640/100222 Ice Storm Cleanup MPEG1-640.mp4

But there were some fun things like rebuilding a 1984 Suzuki LT 50 my kids rode and the adults broke in half.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Videos-Misc/i-8Qv8S5D/0/781cb4e8/640/100119 LT50 Lives MPEG2-640.mp4
    Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  19. Kiharaikido

Oddometer:
    So far I can wheelie to trackstand and hold okay. I decided to add a hop into the mix. So far I've been able to hold 2-3 sustained. The other 95% were a mix of total failure to remain balanced and a short lived balance. These are my two primary obsticles for this excercise.

Attached Files:

Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.