Boulevard of Broken BMW Dreams

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cycles, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Cycles

Cycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

• Start of the third day of my dream ride to California Big Sur.
    • Less than 17,000 km (10,500 miles) on the odometer.
    • Less than 60 hours past warranty expiration.
    • Computer display died, smoke coming from bike. Pulled over and pushed the bike to motorcycle shop. The Central Chassis Electronics and Main Wiring harness melted and fused together.
    • California dream ride over.

This is a ride report about a dream ride that didn’t work out. It was a simple dream; ride Big Sur on a BMW motorcycle. It was a dream that became a comedy of poor timing, unlucky coincidences and bizarre corporate policies.

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps somebody will read this ride report. Perhaps not. It isn’t an exceptional trip or an exceptional story. It isn’t a tail of overcoming great adversity or a tragedy of a life ruined in a motorcycle crash. It is a tail of disappointment, and frustration. I’m going to write it anyway. If the moderators let it stay, I’ll continue to share my ongoing comedy.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    I'm curious. Hope the story stays for a little while, anyway.
    Is it a 2010? Only 10,500 on it? Tell me more.....
  4. Cycles

Cycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Kip.

Max, it is a 2011. The Warranty expired on August 31st, 2014. The bike failed roughly 48 hours later. I've been told that BMW is typically good about providing a special goodwill warranty extension that close to expiration (as are many other manufacturers) but my bike was purchased in Canada. It is subject to BMW Canada rules and their rule is that they will not work with US dealers for goodwill warranty repairs. No exceptions I'm told. Once I get the bike back to Canada they will consider partial or full goodwill warranty coverage. More on that to come.
  5. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with repair,try to rent or borrow a bike and make your trip.
  6. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the bike :cry
    Hope BMW step up and do the right thing. Please keep us posted :ear
  7. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For how much they cost I would be flipping the FUCK out!!!!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  8. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks! Hate so see someone's dream ride end up on a flatbed. Would like to hear how this ends. In the meantime, any chance you can get another bike and complete the trip? May be hard to envision that possibility, but.....
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's see where you go with this.. if it turns into a bmw bitch fest, I'll move it to GSpot..

p.s. in 2005 my GS stranded me on a trip to Colorado. I know how you feel... rent and ride.. :ricky
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

It sucks to have a bike go down, but it's just a heap of metal & plastic. The time to make a personal epic trip cannot be replaced. If you have the means to swing renting or buying a used bike to continue your trip I encourage you to do so. The pain of the additional costs will fade with time but the memories of the trip will stay fresh! :)

Good luck however it turns out.
  11. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strange warranty policy for a company that sells bikes for traveling around the world.

Will BMW Canada pay to ship bike to nearest Canadian dealer?

Hopefully this will be 100% covered plus compensation of some sort for your lost vacation. Maybe future discounts?

BMW is losing customers due to poor handleing of mechanical issues that they should cover regardless of warranty period deadlines IMO.

Forks that fail, electronic/electrical glitches and Final Drive failures are just a few things that purchasers should not be financially liable for at least 100K miles.

I own 2 BMW's and they are amazing machines to ride, nothing on the market compares to their performance and ride.
    They are just so expensive to purchase and maintain $$$$.

Now that I'm considering retiring, I don't think I'll purchase another BMW and not just due to price but the games they play in situations like this. They should just fix failures ASAP whenever/wherever they happen and restore their reputation.

Stop by and say hello if you make it back to Nor-Cal.
  12. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...one question, did you F with any of the wiring yourself? ..or is the bike bone stock?
    guess that's two...
    sorry for your loss.
  13. Cycles

Cycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your questions. Most of the questions will be answered as I write my ride report. I'll do my best to keep it interesting, entertaining and informative without making it into a BMW complaint thread. I'm working on the next post now.

To answer the one question about messing with the wiring: No Messing. The only electrical accessories were the BMW battery tender adapter plug connected to the battery and a Garmin ZUMO GPS connected to the BMW GPS plug. The wiring, control unit, battery and everything else are bone stock.

ETA: The bike does have BMW heated grips and a BMW alarm. There are other non electrical accessories: engine guards; fork guards; handlebar risers; Sargent seat (non heated); BMW adventure panniers and mounts; a GIVI monokey top box plate; and the BMW luggage accessory plate (the one that replaces the pillion seat) with a back rest mounted to it.
  14. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    and what good would that do ?
  15. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you need a pit stop on your way home and are near Medford, Or. Please let me know.

I have a K1300s not doing much, come get it and finish your trip.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  16. moralem

moralem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stress relief........nothing more.
  17. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!! Amazing... Thats really really generous!!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW Canada covers warranty work in the US. Also there's trip interruption coverage for up to $800 in expenses. The bike was towed from Durango to Grand Junction. I submitted 2 nights in a hotel, meals and car rental. They paid everything except the fuel bill for the car. Trip interruption policy may have changed, check to see how much they'll pay if you're still covered.
  19. Cycles

Cycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Ben for that very generous offer. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of it. I'll explain soon.

For those who are wondering about the warranty, I should mention that the standard warranty expired a couple of days before the ECU melted. I'm told that BMW Canada's standard three year warranty provides full North American coverage. Beyond three years, BMW Canada will consider a goodwill warranty claim but the work must be done in Canada by a Canadian BMW dealer.
  20. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do have a F800GS in South Cal if you need to head South for Taco and Beers :freaky to release your stress :evil[​IMG]