Boulevard of Broken BMW Dreams

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cycles, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cycles, you are one patient and gracious dude. Thanks for sharing and illuminating some current issues with BMW corporate.

Good on you for picking-back-up your ride and seeing it through. Anything else you might want to tell us about your ride, like a start to finish RR?
  2. Bikey

Bikey Jeff in Fairfax

Oddometer:
    What a great ending to the story! I had wondered what happened to your plans for a redo. You should post another RR - your writing is first-rate and really entertaining.
  3. bnc1

bnc1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loved the report Cycles! Ran across it yesterday and just finished reading all 30 pages.

I now feel incredibly lucky to have completed my recent Epic Ride (to Canada, none the less) on a 2013 F800GS (which has a powered Garmin GPS mount too) without having the same burning BMW issues as you. Like you, I was confronted with the "LAMPE" code on Day 1 of the ride. I checked the headlight and, yep, the high beam was not working. I stopped at a NAPA parts store and bought an H7 bulb on Day 2, installed it and was on my way. No more bike problems the rest of the trip.
  4. knuckle

knuckle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading you RR. Good to hear that BMW took care of you.
  5. fastredbike

fastredbike locked-down tight

Oddometer:
    well that was quite a story, I got thru it quickly by reading only the OP's posts and enjoyed the writing, attitude and humour. No offense to all those pitching in but a little armchair QB-ing goes a long way. Cheers on the new ride and to finally finishing your dream ride Cycles.
  6. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats Cycle, glad you finally got your trip, that was quite a write up. Maybe post a few pics of the successful trip and a little write up to go with it too. Maybe some good stops, places not to miss, etc.
    When I was looking for another bike I happened to talk to a motorcycle tow truck driver and I asked him what are the bikes you pick up the most. He laughed and said far and away BMW's, then Harleys. Now I am not saying they are all bad and maybe they sell more units so there are more of them to pick up, but that alone scared me off the brand.
    sonnystile likes this.
  7. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tow truck comment is especially interesting when considering the fact that Harley's USA market share is approximately eight times greater than BMW.
  8. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only recently joined this forum, but this report popped up and caught my attention. Read the whole thing over the last day. Great reporting Cycles! Very entertaining. After looking at BMW's, KTM's, Explorers & Tigers, and S10's over the last year and a half, I did finally buy a used S10 with an extended warranty last summer. What drove my decision was the substantially lower cost of ownership and the reliability reputation. I know it does not have the performance of the BMW, but it has more than enough for me. Bought it from a prior BMW owner who described a similar trip ground to a halt with a final drive failure. Glad to hear you finally got to complete the dream ride. I truly hope to read more of your reports in the future. I was especially impressed with the offers of support from fellow inmates!
  9. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Say did I read correctly that the GPS mount was the source of electrical woes? Who mounted that up? If aftermarket and not factory then wow BMW really stepped up here above and beyond on an aftermarket part causing trouble on a out of warranty bike. Almost unheard of really if so. Would make all the BMW bashing at tad Silly eh?
    CharlestonADV likes this.
  10. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW's I looked at typically had factory GPS units.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  11. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll bet real money THAT didn't happen. As in, 100% unheard of ... still.
  13. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    I read youre report.the bike and suv look great together on the tow pix you made,same color.i think I know why people tow their bikes and ride them now.its easier to get home if the bike breaks down.i had a problem with my 2000 bmw k1200lt.i found out BMW stands for BIKES MADE WEIRD.youtube had some interesting repair videos made by expert mechanics with great senses of humor.i fixed my rear drive problem for $25 instead of $2000 that the local BMW dealership wanted. a friend of mine said to me when I told him of my problem.....you buy an expensive bike you are going to have expensive repairs.love my bike made weird.its at 63K now.we went to florida and back last year.its a lot more sophisticated than my 1969 r60/5.nothing better than heated seat,grips,6 channel cd player,etc.i went 925 miles one day on my 2000 bike made weird.and it was FUN.
    sonnystile likes this.
  14. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Read through your RR up to Page 15 which is Sept 2014 and I was starting to lose faith in BMW Canada but I am glad they came through somewhat. My question is that if not for your insurance, do you think they would have came through? For some reason I am suspecting they would have not but since insurance was picking up part of the tab, they were willing to work with you.

And how abour finishing your RR with your dream of Big Sur? That ought to shut up some comments about this not being a riding report! :thumb

And yes you have awesome wife who saw you through thin and thick of this process. Probably was a wise choice to trade in for a 2015 GS. I look forward to you finishing your RR if you find the time. Wish I write as well as you do!