Boyscout! Tell us more about the KTM

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Scary Mc, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I will stop in each city and start off each day in the following cities.. isn't that obvious?

2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    i've heard that before...

the content is the system, so please continue to participate.
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    obvious as a barnacle. Thanks for clearing that up.
  4. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I agree. I think we have forums for:

1. GS' and other over sized trailies
    2. RT's and other bikes not capable of of real off-road
    3. Thumpers

Of course I wouldn't mind if we just had a KTM forum but something along the above lines would be less BMW centric and give the "other thumper" riders a place to hang out.

-BS
  5. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    :):

John your 1000 miles on an LC4 is damn impressive. My ass is sore after 600 miles on it.. Thats the only thing about your post I disagree with. I'm going to get a sheepskin cover for long tarmac rides. Off road the seat is heaven. On road it's great for about one half hour.

I own only one bike. I wouldn't own any other than my KTM. It just rocks. Easy maintenance (so long as you don't pinch an o-ring), great bits, awesome motor, extremely capable in the twisties.

Also the ergo's probably fit you about perfect, or so it sounds. So now add 3 inches to your inseam by standing on a couple of sawed off 4x4's.. trying standing and holding the bars for over 5 minutes on road.. I think about a 30mm riser plate on the bars would make them about perfect for me..

Anybody else run a set of Kenda K270's on a KTM? Waht kind of milage can I expect? I've been getting MAYBE 1500 miles out a rear tire on my LC4.

-MM
  6. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My ass is sore after 20 bloody km on my 400EXC!!!!

:):
  7. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm having a hard time w/ the valve adjustments w/ every oil change. I like working on my bike, but that is a bit much in my opinion... I guess I'm not a "real man" (eh Rocketboy?)

Do they valves require this through out the bikes life or is it just during the 'break in' process?
  8. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    We'll have to meet up soon. Swap bikes for a few hours... Maybe meet up in Shiner for some riding and a few Bocks.

Katy's over near Houston therabouts, right?

-Scary:1drink
  9. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Scary-

The mechanic at my local shop who owns a 2000 KTM AdventureR suggests changing oil every 1500 and doing the filters and valves every 4500. Also says that the valves hardly ever require much adjustment. I plan on following that schedule.

-BS
  10. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I just posted pictures and a quick review of my new Happy Trails racks over here.

-BS
  11. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Change the oil every 1500 miles! My manliness is waning...

I called the local KTM dealer on Friday and asked if they had any Adv. 640's in stock. Their reply was "no, we generally don't keep any KTM's in stock". If your not gonna stock the bikes then don't become a fucking dealer!!!!!
    :huh

Gonna have to check up in Austin on Monday.

It's 4:30am, just got my boy back to sleep after a screaming fit. Fatherhood=FUN!

-Scary
  12. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Changing the oil isn't hard.. 30 minutes tops, 2 screws.
    It's changing the filters thats a pain.

You've got a 625cc single with a total oil capacity of 2100cc (just a hair over 2 quarts). Thats a lot of motor for not a lot of oil. Most 600cc four cylinder sportbikes hold almost 4 quarts..

The exhaust valves were slightly out at my first check. Second check and they were spot on. So 5000 miles, and only 2 valves that have been adjusted. I've been changing the filters and the oil every time.. I'm going to switch over to the change oil 1550 filters @4500 method, much less knuckle busting.

If your really going to write it off your list, don't ride one off road. It'll end up in your garage..

-MM
  13. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rs have never been real common over here, Scary, and it's worse now 'cause gearing up for 950 production has affected LC4 production. KTM isn't a real big company in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, it's said that no more are coming this year - or next.

A good friend (and Pegaso owner) recently spent a day aboard my Adventure and decided he had to have one. So two weeks ago he calls my buds at Wild West in Katy to talk about price, see about ordering one, etc. He already knew of a '02 "demo" with like 800 miles on it for sale in New Braunfels. At that time there were three crated '02s remaining at KTM's warehouse. My friend took a few days to think things over and decided to go with a new one from the fine folks at Wild West. When they called to get one coming, news came that two of the three had been sold and the remaining one was "sale-pending". Luckily for my friend, its deal wasn't solid, so a day later it was released to head our way. Much rejoicing ensued - it should be here in a week or so.

If you'd like I can the get the info on the one in New Braunfels and pass it along, just lemme know. Being a demo, maybe they'd let you give it an extended caning. And it's already had its first service done. You'll wanna sample one for a while because as John and others have mentioned, they're cool scoots that make no mechanical bones about not being for everyone. It ain't a GS, and it ain't a CR125. It's simply an entertaining mix of funky compromises and functional excellence that may or may not appeal to a given rider.

My offer stands, Scary. You can sample mine and yea, a meet in Shiner would be a nice excuse to have a cold one...

:beer
  14. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Scary,
    I had to order mine and wiat 6 months to get it in.. This was 2 years ago. But I paid $1000 less than list for it..

Plenty of used ones around. Just avoid one with Edelbrock carbs (97 and earlier). Lots of short people buy them and then decide they are too tall.

-MM
  15. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    From everything I have read, (Manual, KTM Yahoo Groups website), 3,000 mile interval is the oil change/valve adj. interval...

You have to take so much off to do the oil, the valves aren' that much more work to get to... and very quick to adjust... I don't check them, I just adjust them... Put some tunes on, grab a cold one(s) and get to work... You don't have to like it, you just have to do it...

Btw, my longest stint (during the Saddlesore1000) on the KTM was 1200 miles in 25 hours and I put the sheepskin cover on at 600... under 500 miles and/or 10 hours and its not necessary...

My point was that owning a KTM isn't about complaining and whining... its a race-hardened dual sport tool that is a luxury at the end of the day... enjoy it for what it is and don't focus on the sparse amenities that come standard on the BMW740il! :)

Thank you KTM for not engineering the Danger out of your bikes...

RJ
    thumpity thump thump...
  16. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    What do you take off to change your oil (not filters) besides the drain bolts?

-BS
  17. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Can y'all pass on some KTM Adventure sites (english please) that have some shots and general tech stuff.
    FWIW the KTM USA site has some shots of the 950 Rallye up now.

Garcias- Scary
  18. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Arch- Thanks for the beta on the New Braunfels KTM. I'm only 25 miles away from them, so I'll give 'em a shout tomorrow.

More later about meeting in Shiner.

-Scary
  19. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    As far as technical info on the web in English about the KTM Adventure. There really isn't much. I've found some interesting sites regarding the SuperMotard but nothing technical. Two sites you may find useful are:

http://KTMTalk.com
    http://www.ktm-sommer.de/Seiten/F_English_02.html

The latter is supposed to be a pretty premier KTM shop in Germany. Most of their info is in German, but by cutting and pasting into a translator I've found some good info. They are pretty responsive to email questions as well.

-BS
  20. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Has any Adventure R owner put a power outlet on their bike for GPS or heated vest?
    Can anyone supply a source for a power outlet?

:confused