Boyscout! Tell us more about the KTM

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Scary Mc, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from test riding a demo LC4 w/ 800 miles on it. (thanks Arch)

My first impression was how friggen BUZZY the bike is, but that can be fixed w/ decent bars and a Bar Snake. I would definitly need taller and wider bars, I think the bars on my mtn. bike are wider!
    The Adventure felt very nimble on the short (15min) ride, good acceleration and handling. It felt like it could be a bit more powerful and I'm sure that rejetting and a few other things could help accomplish that...
    The seat SUCKS! But that too can be fixed.
    I thought the GS felt tall, but it's nothing compared to this bike.

Overall I liked it. It would be a big switch from the GS to this...

I'll have to think about it for a couple of days...

fwiw- Scary
  2. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Remember as well that the engine continues to "open up" over the first 3000 miles. The buzziness on mine has settled down quite a bit. Was the one you test rode completely stock? Simply removing the snorkel on the air intake and raising the needle on the carb one notch makes a difference at no cost. Swapping to a more open exhaust is supposed to make a big difference in terms of power and vibration, although I haven't done it yet.

-BS
  3. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails makes mounts designed for Touratech hard bags. I believe Touratech makes mounts as well. What would the crash bars protect? There isn't anything exposed on the Adventure except the huge gas tank which is amazingly strong.

-BS
  4. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I just went to the German site you referenced above and saw the T-tech hard bags on it in one photo.

It seems the the tank would get pretty scuffed up in a sliding get-off. Maybe some of those sportbike sliders would work on it...

I told the sales dude the only way I would take it was if he would trade straight up for the GS... He said he'll let me know by tomorrow afternoon. But even if he will I;m not sure I will...

Does the riding w/ the birds feeling get better?

-Scary
  5. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Yeah - Mine is pretty scuffed up already. I thought of the sliders as well and might go that way. As an off-road bike the Adventure rules. Took it to a local motocross park last week and chased 2-strokes for awhile. Rode stuff no GS would have a chance at and had fun doing it. No matter what RocketJohn says, in my opinion the Adventure is nothing but an adequate road bike. It is fun in twisties, but you won't find me doing 400 miles of road on it unless there is some wicked trail or a blow job waiting for me at the end of the pavement.

-BS
  6. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl

Thats why I have to think about it. I'll only own one bike at a time (momma says so!) and I'm not sure if I'm "man enough" to do cross country trips on the Adventure...

-Scary
  7. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone w/ Jesse Luggage, they said they make bAgs for the Adventure (96 liters in volume). But they will not be producing them till late fall or early winter.
    They said the Odyssey bags will work also but would be "awfully wide".

-Scary
  8. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Seen these factory bags/rack setup?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad at $850
    from these guys:
    Holeshot KTM

-MM
  9. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I had Odyssey's on my R100 and while they are really convenient and protect things well, they are heavy and big even when empty. I went with the Happy Trails Katoom racks ang Orthlieb panniers this time round. Light weight, waterproof and the less you put in them, the smaller they are.

-BS
  10. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I believe that those are manufactured by Touratech and sold under the KTM brand.

-BS
  11. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Can't stop thinking about the possiblities the KTM offers...

Shit, I think I'm hooked. Fuck....
    I'll give the sales dude a shout after lunch Thurs. The book value on my GS is $8,800, the dealer wants just under 7grand on the KTM. Should be a no brainer for them... I need an hour on the bike to be sure though, I know of some quality dirt roads 15min from the dealer...
    :evil

Stay tuned- Scary
  12. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    KTM makes a bolt on sidestand for the Adventure. In fact there was one on E-Bay yesterday for 75 bucks...

-Scary
  13. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    It replaces the centerstand, though. If you want both you have to weld on a tab.

-BS
  14. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Oh...
  15. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    the 2000 model Adventure R have the tab for the sidestand already, 2002's do not have tabs for sidestand.
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Everytime I see this thread pop up, I think of Of Mice and Men "tell me about the rabbits, george?" :):

as you were.
  17. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    ...as long as theres not a pistol in your hand...

Grapes of Wrath? Wrong book dumbass...:huh go ask Fishwife to smack you around some.
  18. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    There's a company that is manufacturing the tabs to be welded on. I exchanged emails with the guy awhile back. Here's the thread over on KTMTalk.com. There was a 2000 Adventure for sale awhile back with a tab and sidestand. I took some closeup pictures. I'm sure a good welder could do the job for a reasonable cost, but I sure wouldn't go anywhere near the frame with a torch myself.

-BS
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    no shit. I think I fixed it.
  20. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    YeeHaaa!!!!

Just went to the Dual Star site and they have the kit ready. It looks a whole lot easier to locate than the stock tab on the 2000 Adventure. Think I'm going to order one.

-BS