Boyscout! Tell us more about the KTM

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Scary Mc, Jul 15, 2002.

1. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Either way I have a feeling I should be offended.:moon

-BS
  2. Scotty

Scotty Adventurer X

Oddometer:
    Scary,
    Hey man I am up in Ft. Worth and am in the negotiating stage of buying an 02 Adventure R and need some ammo to use against this dealer!

I added over $1000 in add ons to the deal and the dude wants to charge me MSRP on the bike less a $300 exhuast. Not good enough when I found a NEW 02 for $6499 in Ca. and you said that your dealer wanted just under $7k........

So if you could let me know the name of your dealer I would have a little leverage on this guy....Don't worry, I won't snake ya, I just need to rearm for the final assault:shoot :gun2 :2guns :gun1 :gun2

Also, were in the Hill country are ya?? My wife and I are down in Kerrville a lot!
    Cheers,
    Scotty
  3. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike I'm looking at was a demo. It currently has a bit over 700miles on it, thats why the price is lower.

I get the impression that the dealers get what they want for the Adventure due to the lack of new ones on the market right now. I might be wrong, but thats the impression I get...

I say tell your dealer to go fuck himself and buy the bike in CA and ride it home. 'Course it probably has all of the CA smog crap on it.
    There might be a few in Houston for sale right now. Worth checking...

I'm in Spring Branch, 20 miles N of San Antonio. Gimme a shout when your down this way! We'll ride!

-Scary
  4. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I got the same impression.

Ain't no "California Smog Crap" on Adventures. They are the same all across the country.

-BS
  5. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    If you really found a dealer selling the bike for $1700 below list price and something like $500 below what he paid for it, BUY IT NOW. That being said the price you quote is a lot closer to the list price for the standard LC4. I'm guessing there was a miscommunication when you talked to the CA shop.

-BS
  6. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    The dealer called me back... The "absolute best" he can do it to trade even for my GS.

Info on my GS:

01 1150 GS
    33,600 miles
    Ohlins shocks
    banged-up Jesse Luggage
    slightly scratched & dented tank
    banged & gouged up valve covers
    banged & gouged up beak
    Corbin seat (I'll sell the new Mayer in the Flea Market)
    Fantastic road bike
    Kinda sux off-road

Infor on the KTM Adventure:

02 KTM Adventure
    Bone Stock
    700+ miles
    Has had it's first oil change and valve adjustment

Most of the damage to the GS occured off-pavement while attempting to push the envelope of the GS's and my skills. Mostly my skills...

I do at least two 3000+ mile trips a year on the GS. I'm looking to do more off-road stuff, but still want to be able to do the touring w/o a lot of suffering...

What would you do?

-Scary:ear
  7. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    And have the best of both worlds.
  8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Well Scary, I suppose it depends on one's level of tolerance. If I had to own just one of 'em, it'd be the GS 'cause like yourself, I like occasional loooong rides at elevated speeds. So this was my solution...

Attached Files:

9. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of showing up w/ my Jesses on the bike when I test rode the KTM. He wants the Jesse's. Banged up and all!
    I no longer have the stock shocks to put back on.... good idea though. I donated them to a poverty stricken Ocker...
  10. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I wish... Momma says "NO!" if I ever want to have sex again buying the KTM w/o shit canning the GS would be a VERY bad thing...

Decisions, decisions...:evil :evil :evil
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    While I admit i'm a katoom noob, I predict you will NOT be happy doing 3000 miles on one. If you want to do offroad more than distance, then the choice is clearer.
  12. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I just talked the guy into letting me ride the KTM for an hour. I'm heading out to the dealer in a few minutes.

Stay tuned...:scratch
  13. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    It seems that with all the options on your GS you might be getting the short end of the deal but if you really want it...

I got mine for $7100 with 300 miles on it. It was a demo model set up for a magazine test. Had fatty bars and some engine tuning. I bought it because I wanted to do more off-road riding. In that regard the bike rules and I love it. As a road bike it has definite shortcomings. That being said I only have 2,500 miles on it so far and may become happier about it as a road bike. One thing it will never be is great for two up over anything but short distances.

How much dirt do you do on your 3000 mile rides?

I love my KTM. It is a blast in the twisties and on dirt. That being said, I will am probably going to either repair and keep my wrecked GS or buy another bike for two up riding and long rides that don't involve much trail.

-BS
  14. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I've done quite a bit ( in my opinion) of dirt roading on the GS. Normally my destination involves some sort of off-pavement misadventure. I'd like to do more serious stuff, no single track, just more rugged dirt roads and 4X4 trails. My GS almost always gets to hot and I have to rest it a bit to let it cool. I also consistently make the clutch make lovely burning smells off-road....

I'm off to test ride again...
  15. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I don't ride enough serious dirt to need a KTM, but dadamn, I want one just cause they look so fuck'n bitchen:lol1
  16. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't you just sell your bike on IBMWR or our Market...

It seems you are not getting the best deal. Although like 'looks' it is in the eye's of the deal maker..

Your GS has some cool aftermarket things on it that would help it sell pretty fast.

Jason
  17. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    As much as I back the KTM as a ONE bike solution, I wouldn't take that kind of HIT on th GS... that's horrible... 50% after one year in value? I thought BMWs held their value... no comprende senor...

I would save my money for another year or so and get a used KTM to add to the GS in the garage... I would think you get tons of more use with the BMW in Texas than the KTM... mostly flat, paved and straight...

Y'all have to realize this thread is really bothering FISH a ton...
    :rofl

Thumpers aren't his thang...

I am at 4k miles... engine is much smoother.... much!

The way I look at it, you just "know" if the KTM is the bike for you... not alot of questioning and hesitation...

I wouldn't recommend it to ScaryMC... too many strikes...

1) likes to do multiple 3000 mile rides a year
    2) allowed only 1 bike
    3) sometimes ventures off on dirt...

He already has a banged up GS... seems perfect for his NEEDS...

Next,
    RJ
  18. Scotty

Scotty Adventurer X

Oddometer:
    :flush goes the Cali deal,

It was the old car salesman trick were they advertise SUPER LOW in order to get the calls coming in and then tack on and inflate all the little shit to make their money!! O well F'em :bash
    I knew it was to good to be true! I will check on the Houston stock......Cheers,
    Scotty
  19. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    The Cali deal sours eh? Lemme guess - Wilsons? As for Houston stock, you may wanna read my posts further up this thread. 'Course it wouldn't hurt to call up Frank Reeves at Wild West anyway to see if maybe there's a dealer willing to transfer or trade for one.

:1drink

Arch
  20. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Well....... I asked for an hour and they said Okay, reluctantly. I actually spent an hour and a half abusing the Adventure!:evil
    The sales dude looked stressed when I pulled into the shop.

As long as the wife does not object (I don't know why she would 'cause she never rides w/ me) I'm gonna do the swap on Friday!!:):
    Yeah, I'm probably taking a hit on the GS, but it really is kind of rough looking. I wouldn't give 7 grand for it if I didn't know better.

The KTM was much smoother on the highway than I thought it would be. I took it out on I-35 for a bit and ran it up to 90mph (no problem) before I settled it into a cruise at 80mph. More vibration than the GS, but not much, it really smoothes out at 70+.
    Headed for the twisties... w/ a little body english it does really well in the tight stuff. It's no GS, but it gets the job done. I smoked an HD Heritage just to see if I could.:evil

Did a bit of off-road in a drainage ditch... Holy shit! It fuckin' rocks in the dirt. Blows the GS away.

FUCK NEEDS! It's all about WANTS baby!!!

-Scary