1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for fun backcountry rides I can do on my G650GS. I'm an intermediate rider (I think) so won't be doing any hardcore single track, but have done some pretty fun ATV trails and would like to do more...
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'm always looking for someone to ride with for the 6 months I'm up there. I rode with Wiley that makes the Perfect Squeeze cell phone mount on roads near you a few years ago. We rode Little Bear Road up into the mountains and ended up on ATV trails. That was fun. I have a few fun ATV trails by my house that open around mid June depending on snow pack. Keep me in mind for some riding this coming summer
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  3. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    That would be fun. I know Wiley and his business partner Ben. Little Bear has some fun trails over to Storm Castle. Let's ride this summer ~ with the wimpy snowpack it will probably be open earlier. Are you riding your 400XC W? I won't be able to keep up on gnarly trails, but want to hone my dirt skilz.
  4. jonz

Oddometer:
    I switch between the 400 and the 1290. I rode with Wiley when I had the 950SE, sadly sold. I ride the Two Top atv trail and take that to West Yellowstone on the 1290 - but I ride that pretty slow. The Lionshead Loop is pretty fun but that's 400 only unless a few people want to follow along and help me pick up the 1290. I look forward to riding more trails down near you.
  5. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Nice selection you have. I just have the one in my stable. Its pretty capable off road though. I've done Flathead Pass, some steep two tracks up Little Bear, and odds and ends around home. What is the two top trail? Sounds awesome. I'd love to ride that trail you mentioned in Taylor's Fork if my bike will do it. Amazing part of the world, that.
  6. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pulled the girly out of the garage two weeks ago and rode out to the Sacagawea inn, it was 22 degrees and sunny, the goal is to get a ride in each month of this year.
  7. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Nice. Did you go Norris/Harrison? I haven't ridden that route yet but love that drive.
  8. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No not this time it was just a short ride through Manhattan/ Logan on the frontage road. I only saw one other rider out that way, he was on a GS 1200. Next time it hits 40 I think I'll go back the Norris / Harrison way. I'm always looking for someone to ride with.
  9. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Nice you got out. I live in the hills above Gateway and have been iced in for a couple of months. With El Nino it likely will be an early spring, so would love to ride once the thaw comes. IMG_20180707_103954_648.jpg
    jonz likes this.
  10. Jimmy1090R

Jimmy1090R n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice to see some other Bozeman area riders on here. Hopefully we can have some meet-ups this spring/summer and plan some adventures! I got rid of my sport/sport touring bikes and just picked up a 1090 Adventure R. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, but with the trails/back roads in the area, it seemed to be a better fit for me. Cheers!
    Tucked away for winter!
    KTM.jpg
    jonz and bozmotodual16 like this.
  11. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  12. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I'm traveling and will be spending time in Bozeman at various times during the season, would enjoy meeting some of you inmates and getting some rides in I'll ping ya when I'm there ... I'm a retread MSU grad, BSME '81 & MSCS '89 and riding '18 ATAS & '19 CRF450L.
    Jimmy1090R and bozmotodual16 like this.
  13. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering buying a KTM 990s ADV. with under 20,000 miles to replace my Triumph Tiger 955I with over 75,000 miles. Any thoughts ? :ear
  14. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with either bike, but change is good!
  15. jonz

Oddometer:
    I've had 950 and 1290 LC8 engined motos. The 990 is fuel injected and some complained of a twitchy throttle. Various remedies are available but I have no experience with those. I'd expect the 990 to be better off pavement than your Tiger. There are a few issues with the KTM's and it would be good for you to know what those are and if they have been addressed in the moto you're looking at. For instance, all LC8 motorcycles mount the sidestand onto the engine case and an inopportune impact can crack the engine case. There are several remedies for that particular problem. For more info, check the 950/990 forum here: https://advrider.com/f/forums/crazy-awesome-almost-dakar-racers-950-990cc.34/
  16. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks jonz for the advice and the link, I loved the Triumph for long rides the inline triple is super smooth and I have my DR350 tricked out for the mountains so I guess I'm looking to replace the ageing Tiger with a ride that is capable and comfortable enough to make the run to Dead Horse in 2020 but still fun enough for a weekend trail rides with the veterans back 40 club. Yes I know that I'm looking for the lightweight adventure touring unicorn for the price of a KLR. The KTM 950 & 990 ADV sound pretty close if you can find one with low miles.
  17. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the rate it's going it's not going to be an early spring. Snow piles are as big as Iv'e seen in years. Major storm warnings up for Sunday into Monday, and we are already past 130% of normal.
  18. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    Hello Bozangelos :D

I'm looking for info on Bozeman area trails that I can post on my Royal Enfield Himalayan rentals website. Any direction on where to find something online?
  19. jonz

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to the Best of Montana 2017 tracks:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ddxlISXEQ2LV81VHZ1WGUxY0U/view

search for the other BOM threads and you'll have another batch of tracks for montana
  20. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer: