Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 3:16

3:16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping to hook up with some riders, I'm in livingston waiting for the snow to melt. Is there an adv. Club in Bozeman?
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    This is about it. Maybe it will get busier this riding season. The Missoula thread is more active. My neighbor sent a pic of my house in West Yellowstone. Or I should say, at least what you can see of it. Won't be riding into the garage anytime soon.
  3. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    My place in Lincoln is pretty snowed in too so I'm elsewhere at the moment but will be looking you gents up come June->July ... that ought to be about the same time high county is opening up too!

Good spring into summer to ya!
  4. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Gateway but work in Helena every week. Just found a club here that rides during the week. Not sure about Bozeman. Let's keep this thread alive and see if we can get something going this summer. I think summer will come quickly. 3 month forecast is for above average temps.
  5. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    minus 24 in West Yellowstone this morning, not feeling much like spring!
  6. 3:16

3:16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    53° in Livingston today lots of melt going. On I'm trying to be optimistic .
  7. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    WTF!!!??
  8. bscar

bscar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bozmotodual16, Sage59741 and jonz like this.
  9. jonz

Oddometer:
    Hey, your friend's online map is great. Looking forward to the updated Beaverhead Deerlodge NF map. A couple workers in the area 2 years ago told me they were working on a new map. I hope it includes the new map data - I used the MVUM and couldn't find a section of legal single track despite riding it twice.
  10. bscar

bscar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My friend who developed this online map with MT FWP used to work with the BD Forrest as a trail ranger. I think BD and all of the other forest data should be on there and up to date. I can ask him how recently the BD trail data was updated.
    cochorro and jonz like this.
  11. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    brilliant map, still needs some work but its the best I've thus far. Doe's your friend have a donation location to help offset his cost, I would rather donate to a mapping program than pay a fine to FWP.
  12. jonz

Oddometer:
    There's a note about BD being updated in the future and the data isn't there now. Still, it's a great resource I plan on using this summer. Specifically, I'm looking at the single track east of Big Sky and Hwy 191. I need to scout out that area
  13. FrankenWompus

FrankenWompus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden to Hidden Lakes on my DR650. That was about all it (or I) could handle. She's a pig. Still fun though. It looks like there's some really neat trails where you're talking about.

If I'm reading some maps right, I think you can go from Hyalite to Hebgen and only be on 191 for a couple miles... if that. Something I'd like to do this summer, but we'll see if it happens.
  14. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Better on a g650gs or an f800gs?
    FrankenWompus likes this.
  15. FrankenWompus

FrankenWompus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the lighter the better. I attempted it in sections last summer from Little Bear Road to Portal Creek at Golden Trout Lakes Trail (#83) but had to bail at that point because it got a little more technical than I'd hoped for. The DR is an oink... not really single track worthy. The last thing I wanted was to get pinned underneath it or hurt out there if I couldn't handle it. I'm headed to buy a Beta Rev3 270 this weekend and if I can't get through some gnarly single track with that then I quit!

I'd like to try some of the trails in the Southern Madison's this summer, too, and then link it all together.
  16. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a worthy goal. I can't afford more than 1 bike so I'm struggling between keeping the 650 and taking for an 800. I probably ride 70/30 road to dirt, but love the dirt. Good problem to have! Anyone traded up to an 800 and regretted it? I know, silly question...
  17. jonz

Oddometer:
    The Beta Rev3 270 would be really fun IF you can figure a way to carry enough fuel. Maybe add some pedals :lol3

As for big bikes on some of the trails. I'm familiar with the trails from Taylors Fork to Hebgen Lake. If you're a good rider and really fit, and the conditions are good (i.e. not too muddy); there's some rideable single track with ATV trails to bypass the really had parts. For instance, Oil Well Rd to bypass Little Wapiti and then Tepee Rd to bypass Red Canyon and/or Kirkwood Trails. I made that route one time on my 950SE. Just as an fyi, I never did it again on the 950. :muutt:knary MUCH more fun on the 400
  18. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to ride! Looks like I'm staying with the 650 for now. So, about that 'really fit' part...gotta work on that.
  19. FrankenWompus

FrankenWompus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jonz, I got a pedal bike laying around... if I hold my tongue just right I'll bet the parts will swap right over!

They make a "Long Range" kit for it with a bigger tank and a seat. They're a little spendy ($500), but I'm thinking it would be worth it for the comfort and extra mileage if I'm going to go on a trail at all with it. Throw another liter or two in a backpack and I'll be set to go all day I would think.

You got me starting to look at a 501, 500 EXC, or 500 RRS... those things have anywhere from 5-10 more HP and are 100lbs (!!!!) lighter than my DR! Even the 430RRS is about the same stats. Might be time to start thinking about moving from 1990 tech to 2019 tech.

I hear you, bozmotodual16... but obviously it's the bike that needs the improvement, not the rider... right?! :lol3
  20. jonz

Oddometer:
    Just to whet your appetite for the 500EXC. That thread and Aaron S's ride report have raised my interest in that platform for an ADV bike.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventurizing-a-ktm-500exc-for-rtw-riding.1369978/