Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah its been really fun. Surprisingly good on the rocky two tracks I've been riding. Not sure of a group ride. Unfortunately difficult for me to get away for more than a few hours on weekends so I can't put anything together. Would be fun to plug in for a day if close by, so I'll be watching the Uprising!
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I thought it would be fun to meet for an overnighter here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/custergallatin/recarea/?recid=5639

[​IMG]

The single track leading from the ATV trail to the cabin is easy intermediate and open for riding after mid July. We could save packing the weight of a tent for beer. :beer Or for the weight conscious, some harder stuff. The single track in the immediate area is pretty easy (if not too muddy) and incredibly scenic. Gets harder as you get farther away from the cabin. It would be a blast to do a group ride on the easier single track in the area and with a group, a larger dual sport would be fine on the easier parts especially with help if you got stuck in a spot.

I was thinking sometime in early August. Anyone interested?
    FrankenWompus, redrock88 and pratered like this.
  3. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    I've got the week of July 29 through August 2nd off. Could do one overnight cause have animals to tend.
  4. jonz

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I'm gonna be out of the area that particular week.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  5. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s an awesome area, did a trip up there last year, camped at Hebgen Lake.
    I will keep track but, can’t commit. Others should though!
  6. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    I could be in Jonz. You need some more time teaching me how to ride single track regardless. :lol3
    bozmotodual16 and jonz like this.
  7. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count me in, that looks amazing, is that Yellow mule cabin?
  8. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I found the KTM I've been looking for I'll ride it home from Seattle on the 13th, so lets for sure plan a ride even if its only a couple hours in the evening
  9. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Congrats! That is such a sublime feeling. Pics! I work in Helena during the week, so my ride time in Boze has been limited. Been riding a lot around here in the evenings though. Hoping to fix that soon with a job closer to home. I can definitely ride that week I mentioned above as I'll be home sitting on my thumb, so let's get out at some point!
  10. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OH! Cabin Creek cabin are you planning on getting there via. Tayler's Fork (oil well trail) or the shorter trail, trail 151
  11. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep you posted.
  12. jonz

Oddometer:
    Here's the easiest way in my experience. Take dirt road 986 off of Hwy 191 to ATV trail 151 to single track trail 205 to trail 238 which ends at the cabin. It's shown on the MVUM image below:
    upload_2019-7-1_7-51-32.png

If you come in from Taylor's Fork, the Oil Well Rd ATV trail is pretty easy and scenic until you intersect trail 206. There's a couple of switchbacks leading up the ridge and then some rocky sections on the ridge until begin crossing meadows. If not muddy, the meadow section if really scenic and fun.

My idea was everyone would ride in from 191 and dump the luggage at the cabin. Then ride unencumbered over to trail 206 and if things are going well, we could ride some of the tougher trails like Kirkwood or Little Wapiti, whatever everyone wanted to try.
  13. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    That looks really fun. When are you thinking of going?
  14. jonz

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I've been off on a ride. :ricky

I was thinking 2 nights either the first or second weekend in August. I'm retired so it could be weekdays but I assume others with 'normal' jobs want a weekend. So what works best for the 2 nights - Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I haven't called yet but I've never been there when someone was there. So once we decide on Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun, I'll call for a reservation. $30 per night. Here's the info page:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cus.../camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=5639&actid=101
  15. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Please don't apologize for that! Envious. I can try to pull of Friday night, and ride Friday and Saturday. Too many animals to take care of to do more than that, but that much would be awesome for me! Hopefully others can rally. Thanks for trying to pull something together!
  16. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count me in for sure, even if we can't get the cabin a day ride would be great.
  17. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found out that I cant make the second week end but the first would be ok if that works for everyone else.
  18. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Day ride would work great for me too, especially Friday.
  19. jonz

Oddometer:
    Well, I just looked at availability and Saturday on both weekends is reserved. So I paid for the nights of Aug 1/2 with checkout on Aug 3. Which equals the nights of Thurs/Fri and checkout Saturday morning. I realize I may be there by myself but hopefully some can join in for at least a day ride. The cabin says a max of 4 allowed in the cabin. If by some slim chance more want to show, I'd imagine you could camp in the vicinity.
  20. FrankenWompus

FrankenWompus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those dates won't work for me, but hope you all have a good time!