Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy gang,
    Late notice - I'm going to ride part of the Gravelly Mountain Rd tomorrow. Cross the Madison River on Lyons Bridge about noon and ride west up Standard Creek to Gravelly Mountain Rd, ride north, down toward Varney Bridge but ride north on the west side of the river to Ennis. Then ride to 4 Corners for the Wild Sheep Foundation open house. Starts at 4:00 p.m. and I'd like to get there NLT 5:00 p.m. I have to head north back to West Yellowstone probably around 6:30 p.m. as I prefer to get home before having to dodge wild quadrupeds in the dark. I'll be on the Great White Whale (the 1290) so just sticking to dirt roads though I may duck into Wolverine Basin to check out the single track leaving from there at least for a photo op.

Here's my google map route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/160...1d-111.7318796!2d45.3491133!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Anyone wanna ride along? We could meet at the Lyons Bridge rest area around noon.
  2. jonz

Oddometer:
    You all missed a beautiful ride. I did check out the single track out of Wolverine Basin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I checked out maybe 1/2 mile anyway. Would be way more fun on the 400. Note: bring mosquito repellant

Up onto Gravelley Mountain road to a familiar overlook
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weather briefly turned to shit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But rode out of it to stunning stormy views
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it to the Wild Sheep Foundation shindig which almost got blown away as the storm drifted over 4 Corners
    [​IMG]

Then rode home on the edge of the storm. I stopped to put on a warmer layer at just the right moment and watched this big fella (or gal) hunting something in the meadow
    [​IMG]

Let's ride!!!
  3. jonz

Oddometer:
    Rode the North Willow Creek Trail west of Pony, MT today and got my ass handed to me. Beautiful views though and if you like riding technical rocks, I can highly recommend it. I can also recommend wearing big heavy offroad boots. If I hadn't been, I'd probably have a broken leg rather than just limping around with a severe charlie horse. The charlie horse wasn't severe enough to stop me from enjoying the Pony Bar though. Stopped for a beer and a cheese burger - this is a classic small town Montana bar and you can ride your street bike there. A worthwhile trip IMHO
    pratered likes this.
  4. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I drove my sons Jeep to him in Fort Lewis Washington on Friday ( he's in the Army ) IMG_20190713_103541570.jpg and rode back on this.
    I stayed in the mountains above Coeur d' Alene on Saturday night before getting her home on Sunday. IMG_20190714_074923271.jpg
    pratered likes this.
  5. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Jonz my wifes birthday is on the 1st but I plan on seeing you up there on the 2nd.
    jonz likes this.
  6. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New member here in Bozeman. I have been in town for 22 years with my wife and 2 boys. I ride a 2018 Honda 250L. Looking for other people to ride with on local stuff. Can't handle long pavement rides on this bike though. Looking to do some riding in the Bangtails, Flathead Pass, etc. Steve.
    Sage59741 likes this.
  7. jonz

Oddometer:
    Here's an upcoming ride the 250 would be perfect for:

I was going to post an update to gauge interest. You could spend the night or come out for a day ride. So far, only 1 person has expressed an interest in one night (Friday) so there's room.
    TheBigH likes this.
  8. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be able to do a day ride. Where's the location? Thanks.

More info- I'm 59, grew up riding dirt bikes. But had a long period between then and the bike I bought this spring. I'm feeling pretty good though with my riding and also rode mountain bikes many years in between when I didn't have a cycle.

Anyone want to meet for coffee sometime?
  9. jonz

Oddometer:
    Here's the Custer Gallatin NF motor vehicle use map of the area:
    [​IMG]

Road 986 in the image above is easy to ride by. Ride south from Bozeman on 191 through the section that passes through Yellowstone NP and keep an eye out for the dirt road the leads up to the right - it will be the only one. Take the ATV trail 151 up to the single track trail 205 - go straight don't go left down the trail to Red Canyon. A little ways down that trail is a turn off to the cabin. @Sage59741 is coming on Friday - maybe you can ride together
  10. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is where my profile pic is from! Intersection right before the cabin. Awesome area to ride. Didn't get a chance to stay at the cabin, had a change of plans, but plan to be back someday soon. I'm sure if you are locals you know the bear procedures... Saw the spray on Jonz pack. Good plan. I'm stoked just thinking about this place... Enjoy!
    Sage59741 and jonz like this.
  11. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coffee sounds great, would Saturday or Sunday work ? we could meet at Ghost town coffee on Bridger center drive and maybe do a short ride after a cup of beans.
  12. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning works or sunday if sat doesn't. Ghost Town is out by Story Mills, right? A short ride would be great too. Just changed my oil. Let me know what time and day works.
  13. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning wouldn't work, believe it or not I have to go curtain shopping with my wife (don't tell the guy's) but the afternoon could work or Sunday, ghost town is next to the Panda Sinclair on Bridger Canyon Dr.
  14. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your choice, I can do either as I will be doing house chores on both days and take rides when I can as a reward. Sat afternoon or sunday are both fine. I don't envy you shopping for curtains. Would rather battle my cranky old lawnmower. : >)
  15. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow at 2 at Ghost town coffee and then maybe a ride up in the Bangtails or Ross pass. All are welcome to join us.
  16. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.
  17. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190727_164101709_HDR.jpg
    The adventure of Mr. Mushman and the Sage

“up the Bangtail”

The sunrise brought with it the excitement of the weekend, after a hearty breakfast my wife and I engaged in an exhilarating round of curtain shopping. With every passing minute and every floral and tweed pattern change, I grew more restless and my gaze was drawn to the impending rainclouds. You see I had a rendezvous with a fellow rider whom I had never met. I was to meet this man know only as Mr. Mushman at 2pm at the Ghost Town Coffee house. With 2 different curtain patterns bought and a satisfied wife we headed home. Arriving home with clearing skies the anticipation grew, it was time to choose which steed to mount for the days adventure. The 04 KTM 950 adventure (fast) or the 97 Suzuki DR350 (reliable) I knew Mr. Mushman was on a 250, so it was to be the Mighty DR. I donned my riding gear and headed to the coffee house. Upon arrival I noticed a shiny 2018 Honda CL250 rally parked as if it were impatiently waiting to go, I must admit I was somewhat intimidated pulling up on my battle worn and carbureted DR. I walked in and ordered a large Bourbon Barrel Coffee and notice a man with a disarming smile and a helmet in the corner of the café, it was Mr. Mushman. After about a half an hour of conversation and “the best cup of coffee I’ve ever had” I knew I had made a new riding buddy.

We had decided to go for a short ride up to Ross pass it was a good mix of blacktop, dirt road, and single track. While we were going up the dirt road Mr. Mushman had an unintentional dismount in a rough section of the road, I helped him get his bike back on the road and we continued to the trailhead. With the recent mishap in our minds we decided to forgo the more technical single trac and opted to go up Olson creek and maybe come out Jackson creek, so off we went. After arriving at the top of Olson creek we took trail 505 to the intersection of 505 and 506 where Mr. Mushman consulted his GPS and we decided to take trail 506 “the Bangtail loop”. With threatening skies, we headed down trail 506, we had only made it a short way when the storm was upon us with lightning, rain and hail. The trail before us was wet shale rock and steep muddy off camber declines but going back would put us on the ridge with the lightning so down we went. After a section of woods riding, we came upon a short open off camber side hill, this is where Mr. Mushman had a 2nd unintentional dismount. This time he went off trail down hill then over the handlebars with a hard landing, by the time I was able to get to him he was up with a smile on his face trying to right his bike so we wrestled to bike back to the trail and slowly continued down the mountain. A shot while later the trail flattened out but had turn to super slick gumbo and as I checked my mirror to make sure there was still a headlight behind me I saw him go down again “ the bike just slid out from under me” he said. The skies’ cleared and we made it to lower ground.

The trail cut through private property and we had to go through several gates “leave ‘em like you find ‘em”. The last gate was at the point where the trail met the county road, but it had a chain and a padlock on it. We were on a public trail and we were too far to go back so we dismantled the gate went through and then rebuilt it. We finally made it to Livingston and stopped at McDonalds to assess the damage. The bike had multiple scratches, both blinkers on the rear end were broken off and the mirror on the left flopped like a fish out of water. Mr. Mushman was limping and had a sprained wrist. After a cup of coffee, we headed back to Bozeman. After 7 hours, 90 miles, lightning, rain, hail and a close call with a cow elk we were finally back where we started, we exchanged cell #’s shook hands and were off.

Our cup of coffee and a short ride turned into an adventure that had left the bikes battered one of the riders limping and both of us smiling.
    mrmushman, TheBigH and pratered like this.
  18. jonz

Oddometer:
    Both bikes and riders still running. A good ride
    Sage59741 likes this.
  19. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a good ride, I look forward to this Friday's ride up to the cabin. what bike will you be on? I'll bring the DR, I think the KTM 950 is not the right bike for up there.
    mrmushman and TheBigH like this.
  20. jonz

Oddometer:
    I'll be on the 400. I've ridden my 950SE from Taylor's Fork, by the cabin, and out the ATV trail to 191. But it was a workout and the 400 is a lot more fun